Thread: My Jeep GC needs a new water pump. Should I be afraid?

Unhappy My Jeep GC needs a new water pump. Should I be afraid?

So, our 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee (4.0L, 6 cyl, Laredo, QuadraDrive2) has been leaking coolant for a while now. Well, it went from leaking coolant to LEAKING COOLANT yesterday, so that shiny new water pump that has been siting on the work bench for 6 months has got to find it's way under the Jeep's hood in the very near future.

I am working on unexpectedly limited funds right now, so coughing up $400-700 to a shop is not an option. So unless I can find a shop that will take a Captain Kirk collector plate in trade, this has to get done in my garage.

The extent of my vehicular wrenching capabilities mostly just includes swapping fluids (on cars and bikes people, jeeze). I am nearly worthless at wrenching on cars. I can change flat tires better than most girls, better than some boys even. And I've swapped a coolant reservoir (twice) in my old Cherokee. Changed a headlamp bulb in an old Grand, and manged to put the battery back, backwards, then had to find and replace most of the fuses in the darn thing (needing a hammer to get the battery clamps back on should have been a hint). Watched my dad do brakes, distributor, muffler, suspension, alternator...but all that taught me was how to hold a flashlight in your teeth and cuss and throw wrenches.

Should I be terrified? Am I going to be laying under my Jeep and cussing all weekend? Is this a huge job and I am foolish to not seek a professional? Do I have to drain the coolant system? Dang, not sure I even have a manual for this truck.

I googled for a water pump "how to", but man, there is so much fix-it shit and garbage sites on the web now it makes finding the useful stuff freaking impossible. Anyone know a usefull WJ site?

Kind, soothing words and advice appreciated.

-Jen

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: My Jeep GC needs a new water pump. Should I be afraid?

It is not difficult on that motor. Removing the belt is the toughest part actually.

One thing I would do if I were you is to inspect all of the freeze plugs on the block. There is one at the very back, near the firewall, just below the head. They are prone to leak, rot, go bad if your 4 liter overheats, ever.

You can do this. Just do your research, go at it with confidence, and above all else, get the right tools. It makes all the difference in the world having the correct tools for the job. If you are missing anything, go to checkers and rent it.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

^^^ What he said. It won't be difficult to replace the water pump, it's just that some shit needs to come off first which can be difficult to get off sometimes. You should probably buy a service manual for your vehicle if you don't have one already.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Two things to start.. Your jeep is new enough that it likely has a belt tensioner on it that keeps your serpentine belt tight when running. You'll definitely need a wrench that is long so you can put enough leverage (torque) on the belt tensioner to get the belt off.

All vehicles are a little different with the way they are configured in the engine compartment. Obvious statement, but the point is, you may be limited in the space you will have to access the water pump depending on how Jeep built your engine in 2000. This may require you to remove the fan shroud and/or the radiator, so you can even fit a hand with a wrench down to unbolt the old water pump.

Don't be terrified, but you may want to have someone around to help you who has replaced a water pump before so they can help you. You probably won't be "under" the jeep; likely you will be working at the front of the jeep leaning in to the engine compartment. You don't need a professional to install a new water pump; the process is just kinda tedious and you need to be careful to put things back the way you found them.

Are you sure it's your water pump that is leaking or is it one of the radiator hoses? I'm impressed that you are taking this on! Most women would say screw it and have a guy buddy do it for them!

Here is the link to a jeep forum.. it's national but someone may be able to help you.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/
    - Fug-it.. Know your worth.
    - "SUV's get Groceries, Jeeps get Dirty"
    - '08 GSXR 600 Blue/White

BE very afraid!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
    BE very afraid!!!!!
    It's good to see that you've got the kind and soothing words part down there Horsey! =)
    Good luck Jen!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

I agree with the advice so far. A friend who knew what he was doing helped me with mine because I was clueless. Turns out, it wasn't all that difficult. Most of the time was spent taking thing off and trying to get to it. Whole process took about an hour, not too bad.

-Ok, I think I'm Ok in the tools department. Got plenty of wrenches and screwdrivers and stuff. And I know the way to Harbor Freight.

-I think yes, the fan and shroud are going to have to come out.

-Should probably swap the serpentine belt at this time. Have to look at the cost of those...

-My husband will be there. But his knowledge is similar to mine. And he's had the waterpump for ages and hasn't tried to put it in, so now it's my turn. And so far, when I'm in the garage wrenching, and he tries to help me, I hate it, I turn into a bitch, and we fight. I'll try to make a concious effort to be nice this weekend.

-I'll check the hoses and look for an alternative souce of the leak, but it is my understanding that if it was a hose leak, that the pressure in the system would have blown the leak wide open, and not just been dripping a little for months.

Oh yea.. and have antifreeze on hand so you can replace some of the fluids you will be loseing. Make sure all of your surfaces on the new pump and your engine block are dry when you install the new gaskets between the pump and the engine block.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post

-I'll check the hoses and look for an alternative souce of the leak, but it is my understanding that if it was a hose leak, that the pressure in the system would have blown the leak wide open, and not just been dripping a little for months.
    That's not always true. Depends on how new the hose is and what the hole in the hose looks like. If it was a small hole and a slow leak, that hole may have gotten bigger, thus causing your leak to go larger like you described! Also, it may be deterioration of one of the hoses where they clamp down at the pump, block or radiator. It's definitely easier to replace a hose than a pump! Good luck!

Thanks all for the input. New water pump installed and Jeep is no longer spewing coolant. Hardest part was getting the fan and fan-shroud out. One of the bolts to the fan shroud is IMPOSSIBLE to reach with any tool. Hubby stepped up and just sheared it off with a chisel bit. No job that can't be done with a hammer, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    Thanks all for the input. New water pump installed and Jeep is no longer spewing coolant. Hardest part was getting the fan and fan-shroud out. One of the bolts to the fan shroud is IMPOSSIBLE to reach with any tool. Hubby stepped up and just sheared it off with a chisel bit. No job that can't be done with a hammer, I think.
    You can fix any problem with these 5 things

A cutter
    A torch
    A Welder
    Duct Tape
    Zip Ties
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

yea jeepforum.com or colorado4x4 are both good sites to check out.. also i can ask a few dealers what they can get it for if you would like.. if not on here shoot me a message to beobe on jeepforum.com.

the only negative to colorado 4x4 is that you technicall have to pay as you cant have a free email to register on the forums, you must have a paid email account.. kinda sucky but depends on if you have one or not

you can also check out the coloradojeepclub myspace in my signature with a few local and non local jeep dealers/mechanics etc..
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

nice work Jen!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

So Jen...next time I need some work done on my car, I'll just come to you for some advice and a cheering section, ok? ;-)

Nice work!
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

AKA "Devaclis"

Badass!!

Can you come over and rebuild the motor on our GS?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Good for you guys Jen. That rocks you did it yourself.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street