Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sport bikes and ABATE

Board Newbie

Re: Sport bikes and ABATE

And now Part Four is up.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3...ay-sportbikers

Thanks to all of you again for helping me put this together. I'll be visiting again, I'm sure.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Sport bikes and ABATE

Yeah, it looks like the topic of helmets is the big divider. My position and that of many sportbike riders is that wearing a helmet is a wise thing to do but I don't believe that there should be helmet laws requiring their use. The gear I wear for my safety is my business. Do I think people should wear helmets? Hell yes. But I lead by example, not by running my mouth about it or worse, having the government enforce it. And just as I don't want someone telling me to wear a helmet, I don't want anybody giving me shit about wearing one either.

I think there is another point in the article that is important to acknowledge: the importance of advocacy for the rights of sportbike riders in the legislative arena. Sportbike riders tend to be younger and it is well known that the interest of the younger population in such matters is not very widespread. But these things are important. If you aren't involved, then people who know nothing about the subject of sportbikes will be making decisions that affect you. The older among us remember the idiocy of Sen. Danforth and things like requiring seatbelts on bikes!! The AMA does a good job at the national level but we need to ensure that we keep an eye on the local issues too.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson