Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: team applegate

Re: team applegate

Just like Dion said you have the opportunity to follow good riders ask them for advice ask them to take you out in practice sessions to show you lines or whatever . All the information and help is there and it doesnt cost an extra 1000 to get it . There are also rider reps on hand at every race who are always more than willing to help anyone out , I thought those guys were really stepping up to do something cool for somebody but 1000 seems a little steep considering all of the free help that is available through the MRA's members

Quote Originally Posted by Devil954";p="180722
    I thought those guys were really stepping up to do something cool for somebody
    Me too

But, it's all relative: considering that one rider last year spent $2000 just on private lessons with Marty Simms, the $1000 that they're asking, for all it includes, sounds like a good deal for a novice racer that is committed and wants to do well.

My best advice to a brand new novice racer - find an experienced racer who's willing to help you out(novice or expert, it doesn't really matter) and try and pit near (next to or across from) them for the first race. You can follow them around to find out what needs to be done. It's not that hard once you've done it once.

thats my point exactly correct me if I am wrong but people spend all of this money to no avail . they think it is gonna make them blinding fast but it dont , or does it ? I think it helps with things like body position and methods for braking , things like that but just going out and getting practice with good riders will give you that , I was watching Petiford doing a class and was talking with him he claimed that his student after one week of classes was gonna win his first Novice O. race .Well he did terrible so was all of that money wasted . I am sure the guy learned alot but it sure as hell didnt make him fast a couple thousand dollars later . Maybe when he gets fast all of those classes will come into play I dont know . Man I must be bored

Instruction helps because you start practicing good things, instead of reinforcing mistakes. So I do see the value. Good instruction is every bit as valuable as a suspension upgrade, if the rider takes it in completely. However bad instruction will do bad things... so ask around before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil954";p="180732
    thats my point exactly correct me if I am wrong but people spend all of this money to no avail . they think it is gonna make them blinding fast but it dont , or does it ? I think it helps with things like body position and methods for braking , things like that but just going out and getting practice with good riders will give you that , I was watching Petiford doing a class and was talking with him he claimed that his student after one week of classes was gonna win his first Novice O. race .Well he did terrible so was all of that money wasted . I am sure the guy learned alot but it sure as hell didnt make him fast a couple thousand dollars later . Maybe when he gets fast all of those classes will come into play I dont know . Man I must be bored
    In this particular case, the guy did get pretty damn fast & started winning races - almost won the NGTO championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman";p="180744
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil954";p="180732
    In this particular case, the guy did get pretty damn fast & started winning races - almost won the NGTO championship.
    He's talkin about somebody else Bob. The guy he's talkin about was riding one of Pettifords spare ducs. I remember Ed tellin me who the guy was and if I remember right we lapped him in STO.

However I think good instruction is worth every penny. I got a few hours with Shellinger and my lap times dropped over a second the next weekend. Some guys do even better than that. I remember Mike Vigils teammate (Dave and I cant remember his last name for shit) got blazingly fast all of a sudden and through the grape vine I heard it was because he got some really good help from somebody. If I remember right he was running 9's or 10's at SCR and I think we were about the same speed just weeks before. It's all just what I heard but it's gotta be something because he sucked the paint off my bike a couple of races.

Deuce
    MRA 223

I know I tend to over romance the sport a bit. I remember when it was FUN to go to the track and push yourself, bench race, and tease each other about the next event. Now I go to track days and novices have enclosed trailers --- motorhomes at a regional event? Personally, I think lessons from a "pro" are invaluable to a newbie... it lends a much needed confidence to do well. I find the lessons from Freddie, Keith Code and Schwantz fascinating --- conversely, I am really confused by guys with a white plate in the MRA thinking their "help" at an MRA event is WORTH MONEY. COuld it be that the fun is dwindling while the motorhome parking area is growing?

Whatever happened to pick-up trucks, EZ-ups, and coolers of beer? Just have fun.

Kurt
    2000 Suzuki GSXR750
    1974 Honda CL200 Scrambler
    Former AMA/CCS, WERA, MRA, F-USA
    Current AMA Member, SMRI Racer
    Check out www.vonconcepts.com

Quote Originally Posted by voncon";p="181393
    I know I tend to over romance the sport a bit. I remember when it was FUN to go to the track and push yourself, bench race, and tease each other about the next event. Now I go to track days and novices have enclosed trailers --- motorhomes at a regional event? Personally, I think lessons from a "pro" are invaluable to a newbie... it lends a much needed confidence to do well. I find the lessons from Freddie, Keith Code and Schwantz fascinating --- conversely, I am really confused by guys with a white plate in the MRA thinking their "help" at an MRA event is WORTH MONEY. COuld it be that the fun is dwindling while the motorhome parking area is growing?

Whatever happened to pick-up trucks, EZ-ups, and coolers of beer? Just have fun.

Kurt
    I will have to agree . But charging a guy 5 or 6 hundred a day for lessons is hard for me to grasp when you consider Mark only charges 150.00 granted he doesnt lease the track . Pettiford charges something like 500 per day now line him up next to Mark and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by voncon";p="181393

Kurt
    Pickup: Check!
    EZ-UP: Negative, motard bikes are small and fit in "borrowed corners" of canopies belonging to other racers.
    Cooler of beer: Negative, I mooch enough beer to... well, earn an odd reputation. I'll leave it at that.

Motorhomes go a long way to keep expenses down and your rest level up. If you have access to them, they're invaluable. Otherwise, if you work corners AND race, you hotel is covered by the MRA and usually has a hot tub

As for getting faster, having fun, bench racing and teasing... I have NO idea what you're talking about.

********NOTE: Typically it's impossible to cornerwork AND race. You must tread lightly, plan ahead, get up early, trust your homies to take care of your bike(s) and race only when practical. Motard works great for this but it's definitely not for everyone to stand in the sun all day and then go race.********

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce";p="181370
    I remember Mike Vigils teammate (Dave and I cant remember his last name for shit) got blazingly fast all of a sudden and through the grape vine I heard it was because he got some really good help from somebody. If I remember right he was running 9's or 10's at SCR and I think we were about the same speed just weeks before. It's all just what I heard but it's gotta be something because he sucked the paint off my bike a couple of races.

Deuce
    Dave Olcott - we were battling for 1st in Sportsman during the first race weekend last year. Well, I don't know if you'd call it battling - he would pass me down the straight, but I would be in the lead again by the end of turn 1.

He did get fast, and in a short period of time!

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Yeah, he picked up the pace big time last year. I don't think he was running 9's or 10's at SCR, but he did improve a lot over the year.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

He hit a 10 at SCR last year when he won NGTO, but was running 11's for most of the race. He didn't race SCR in that direction (CW) again, and the only other time he did run it CCW, he turned a best time of 1:12.049 in HWSB (he ran consistent 12's with a few 13's near the end).

Now, let's take a look at Pueblo:
    Race 1: 1:42.555 (Solo Endurance Heavyweight)
    Race 7: 1:37.030 (Solo Endurance Heavyweight)

There's some improvement!

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    That bastard!!! I was so chasing him down that race! If we had 2 more corners, I might have got him. I was in 3rd and screwed up trying to pass Bruce Baca a few laps before (I passed him going into the RN, but he got me back on the exit). It took me a while to get back past him, and was on Dave's butt when we exited the house turn, but he took me down the straight. I almost a-holed him when he crossed the finish line and took both hands off the bars to celebrate.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother