Thread: Tell me more about the COS area

Tell me more about the COS area

Just wondering about I-25 rush hour traffic (busy hours between which exits,etc.) and areas of town to avoid (crime-wise). The above is not necessarily related to riding motorcycles, just info to sock away for future reference. How is the Briargate area? Quail Lake area?
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

Re: Tell me more about the COS area

busy hours from woodman to id say filmore or a few streets south, 4-5pmish. gets busy. same thing in the am when everyones heading to work.
    as for crime imo, its random. there are parts off hancock that have pretty stoopid people wandering around. southgates got its "areas" too.
    quail lakes an nice neighborhood imo.

Funny you should bring up Briargate and Quail Lake. I live in Briargate, work near Quail Lake. As far as rush hour traffic goes, it doesn't necessarily tie you up while you're on the Interstate. Sure, it'll hit a slow patch, especially during the afternoon rush time, but for the most part, it's nothing too serious. It's not like Denver-area where it takes you 20+ minutes to go 8 miles on C-470 or I-25.Tthe surface streets get a little packed though and that's where the problems arise. Powers can turn into a huge PITA because some people assume it's their personal roadway and cruise at whatever speed below the speed limit they want to, regardless of traffic stacking up behind them.

Oh, and as far as crime, stay away from the MLK/Circle area, Fountain and Chelton area, B-street and Lashelle area and you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    It's not like Denver-area where it takes you 20+ minutes to go 8 miles on C-470 or I-25.
    Good to hear that! How long does it take you to get from Briargate to Quail Lake during rush hour?

As far as crime goes, it sounds like the areas SE to E of downtown are the trouble spots. I'll take your advice.
    Last edited by Cars-R-Coffins; Fri Jun 26th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Oh, and as far as crime, stay away from the MLK/Circle area, Fountain and Chelton area, B-street and Lashelle area and you should be ok.
    Funny thats where i live

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post
    Good to hear that! How long does it take you to get from Briargate to Quail Lake during rush hour?

Should be about 20-30 min
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Quote Originally Posted by kidicarus13 View Post

As far as crime goes, it sounds like the areas SE to E of downtown are the trouble spots. I'll take your advice.
    I live near Research and Union. If I take Union to Woodmen, Woodmen to I-25, I-25 to Circle, Circle/Lake to Venetucci, Venetucci to Cheyenne Mtn, Cheyenne Mtn to Quail Lake, it's a 15 mile drive. During rush hour, it takes about 22 to 25 minutes with about equal time spent between getting to the Interstate and Interstate to destination. Basically, one-quarter of the total distance takes half of the total travel time due to stupid drivers, poor road design, general traffic density, improper traffic light flow, etc.
    Last edited by CaneZach; Fri Jun 26th, 2009 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    ...as for crime imo, its random. there are parts off hancock that have pretty stoopid people wandering around. southgates got its "areas" too...
    +1

Crime here isn't even close to anything bad. If you think it is, move to a real city. I find gated communities here hysterical. The pockets of trouble are so small they don't even fill a region. If you drive into a neighborhood and don't like the way it looks, thats the place to aviod, but usually can be reduced to a few blocks.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    +1

Crime here isn't even close to anything bad. If you think it is, move to a real city. I find gated communities here hysterical. The pockets of trouble are so small they don't even fill a region. If you drive into a neighborhood and don't like the way it looks, thats the place to aviod, but usually can be reduced to a few blocks.
    True enough. I can tell you the areas in which I've executed arrest/search warrants and it seemed like the 10% of the Springs caused 90% of the problems. For the most parts, they were limited to the areas I mentioned earlier and include the area around Southgate, around Powers and Galley, and some of the west side of town closer to 31st St.

If it wasn't for the Feds it would be just another tourist trap for the bug eaters.

Even the Doctors are asshats in the springs: http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...3ULcbDejVMk%3D

Worst of all, they are paving the road to the top of fuc*in Pikes Peak.

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiX View Post
    If it wasn't for the Feds it would be just another tourist trap for the bug eaters.

Even the Doctors are asshats in the springs: http://www.9news.com/news/article.as...3ULcbDejVMk%3D

Worst of all, they are paving the road to the top of fuc*in Pikes Peak.
    Sounds like someone got fucked in the ass on Chelton and Fountain?

Quote Originally Posted by darkfire View Post
    Sounds like someone got fucked in the ass on Chelton and Fountain?
    From what Ive seen, that would be a big night for you ladies in the springs. Cute bike.

-Dedicated to all of those with BIG egos.

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:28 PM.

Plus Modette99 has a No-Mar tire changer in his garage and can hook you up with tire mounting and balancing!

John

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    Traffic here is just plain bad. Mainly people bringing their bad driving with them from wherever they came from. Probably a dozen times I have seen idiots completely stop on the on-ramp to I25 at Baptist road. They fail to know how to merge in. Same is true with say 21 street and US24, people tend to stop for long periods vs using the merge lane for what it is intended for, same on at Powers at the numerous roads getting onto Powers.

People also freak when they see a hint of snow and start to drive 10mph in a 35mph zone. I pass people all winter up here in Monument on Leather Chaps Road. Same when it rains. It is like every time it starts to flurry or sprinkle some idiot on the Interstate gets in a wreck bringing the whole thing to a stop. My wife and I learned fast to stick to the back roads to go into Springs during rain or winter months. Hell my wife said she saw a Pontiac Aztec cut in front up her and then lost control although it was a straight away and went off into the ditch as it flipped numerous times. People here tend to do some fucked up shit.

I can tell you up here in Monument things are good. Plus remember you end up paying sales tax based on where you live in Colorado. So for example when we bought our bedroom furniture in Springs we paid 5.9% vs the 7.9%. When I bought my Plasma TV again 5.9%, some fancy light fixtures at a store in downtown springs again 5.9%. They raised it to 6.9% but that is still cheaper then Springs. Also applies to vehicles too which is 5.9% it was 4.9% :-( Just thought you want that tidbit.

Oh, and not sure your price range on a home, a few on my street. One is a foreclosure and I think they are asking $220K, been on the market for awhile, older couple owned it and I think they left it in mint condition. Ours went up in value...good area and good deals to be had. PM me and I'll tell you the address so you can have a look see.
    What sales tax are you referring to? Colorado Springs or Monument?? Springs is 7.4%(which is the current sales tax)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

The traffic in the Springs isn't bad. Coming from Atlanta, there are a couple areas that have slow downs, but the traffic here isn't that bad. The real issue is people down here drive like idiots. So many drivers are oblivious to speed limits, the concept of merging, and the proper use of on ramps and slow down / turning lanes. I usually plan on the slow downs at the end of the day as one approaches the northern exists on I25 heading out of town.

We have been renting a house in the Garden of Gods area and just purchased a place in the same area. Older construction, established neighborhoods, so feels "older" than Briargate. Generally, stuff on the north side of town seems to be better off with the crime issues. But once again, I am used to Atlanta crime rates, so COS seems to be safe enough to walk around with a suit made of $100 bills.

Oh, and the religious crazies that Denverites seem to think COS has just doesn't exist in my experience.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Oh, and not sure your price range on a home, a few on my street. One is a foreclosure and I think they are asking $220K, been on the market for awhile, older couple owned it and I think they left it in mint condition. Ours went up in value...good area and good deals to be had. PM me and I'll tell you the address so you can have a look see.
    Not looking for property.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEffinK View Post
    Plus Modette99 has a No-Mar tire changer in his garage and can hook you up with tire mounting and balancing!

John
    Always looking for a hook-up

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    The traffic in the Springs isn't bad. Coming from Atlanta, there are a couple areas that have slow downs, but the traffic here isn't that bad. The real issue is people down here drive like idiots. So many drivers are oblivious to speed limits, the concept of merging, and the proper use of on ramps and slow down / turning lanes. I usually plan on the slow downs at the end of the day as one approaches the northern exists on I25 heading out of town.

We have been renting a house in the Garden of Gods area and just purchased a place in the same area. Older construction, established neighborhoods, so feels "older" than Briargate. Generally, stuff on the north side of town seems to be better off with the crime issues. But once again, I am used to Atlanta crime rates, so COS seems to be safe enough to walk around with a suit made of $100 bills.

Oh, and the religious crazies that Denverites seem to think COS has just doesn't exist in my experience.

never had a problem w/ the religious fanatics when i lived there either. traffic does suck, but i came from no where america w/ 2 lane roads.

never had an issue w/ crime either, was out @ nite all the time in the city.

also had people to tell me to say away from the old city and the south, never had an issue w/ either. id live just about anywhere in the springs... other than next to some of the hood rats.
    Right you are Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post

If you stay long enough you will run into them some time or another. I can't count how many times growing up that I have been stopped and asked to pray with them while I was walking somewhere. It has stopped for the most part now that I drive or ride everywhere now. But still run into them once or twice atleast a year. Or when they protest on Acedmey about Ft Carson being right down the street.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Sorry I was a few points off, I do not pay Springs tax so I thought it was 7.9%...guess it is 7.4%. Ops...
    nah, just wondering because I thought Monument fell into the county's sales tax(El Paso county), so I wasn't sure which one you were referring to.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."