Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns in Bars in AZ. What do you think?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Guns in Bars in AZ. What do you think?

I'm kinda torn a bit on this one.

On one hand, 2nd ammendment, protect your rights/family/all that stuff.

On the other hand people do really dumb shit when they're drinking and everyone with half a brain knows that alcohol and guns don't mix.

However, it only effects people that are legal gun owners.

So, I don't know how I really feel about this.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31683427...ife/?GT1=43001

PHOENIX - The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.
    The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.
    Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.
    "We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.
    Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.
    "It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.
    The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.
    The bill initially required that a bar serving alcohol also serve food, but that provision was removed at the request of bar owners who worried about uncertainty over which bars have kitchens.
    Forty other states have approved similar measures, according to the National Rifle Association.
    Former Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat, vetoed a similar bill earlier this decade that would not have required people to have concealed weapons permits in order to carry guns in bars.
    More than 127,000 Arizonans have concealed weapons permits, which require a gun safety course and background check, according to the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Re: Guns in Bars in AZ. What do you think?

I could be wrong, but I thought you could carry in CO bars.
    Danny

AKA "Devaclis"

It should be up to the bar owner and the customers. /discussion.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Been legal w/CCW permit in CO for a long time, with no ill effects. It IS however, illegal to carry while under the influence, so most people I know with CCW don't drink if they're carrying, and don't carry if they might possibly be drinking. Not to mention, even if you're under the legal BAC, and you are involved in a shooting, you'll be hosed in civil court, even if you are coleared of any criminal wrongdoing.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    It should be up to the bar owner. If the customers want (If not allowed) or don't want (if allowed) guns in a certain place they can go somewhere else.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

A woman is like a motorcycle, both scream and get hot if ridden hard enough.

AKA "Devaclis"

Pig and elephant DNA just don't mix
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Been legal w/CCW permit in CO for a long time, with no ill effects. It IS however, illegal to carry while under the influence, so most people I know with CCW don't drink if they're carrying, and don't carry if they might possibly be drinking. Not to mention, even if you're under the legal BAC, and you are involved in a shooting, you'll be hosed in civil court, even if you are coleared of any criminal wrongdoing.
    Good to know.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Not to mention, even if you're under the legal BAC, and you are involved in a shooting, you'll be hosed in civil court, even if you are coleared of any criminal wrongdoing.
    Do you have a case to prove that? Otherwise it is just speculation.
    Someday someone my kill you with your gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because its empty.

Regardless, if the bar owner wants to, can't he/she put up a sign prohibiting firearms in their bar?
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Quote Originally Posted by LambeauXLIV View Post
    Regardless, if the bar owner wants to, can't he/she put up a sign prohibiting firearms in their bar?
    Yes Colorado law says that signs must be posted clearly at every entrance that says no firearms allowed. It cannot just be word of mouth or some rule in the manual.

That makes sense
    Nathaniel
    13 DRZ400SM (mine) -- 08 CBR 600RR (wife's) -- 06 GSX-R 600 (sold)
    I don't always test my code, but when I do, I do it in production.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Only on Whisky Row in Prescott, AZ

"Oh they starts her in at the Kaintucky bar,
    at the head of Whiskey Row,
    and they winds up down by the Depot House,
    some forty drinks below." -- Gail Gardner
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    pfft, freedom is for losers. We should just have government dictate every aspect of our lives so people don't have to think for themselves.

If someone has some data on how many CCW holders were involved in a disproportionate number of shootings at bars, in states with similar laws, I'd be against it. However, my gut says that no such data exists and this is just another emotional fallacy by a certain wing of the public. Next thing you know they will be telling us the CCW holders at bars are responsible for Mexican drug cartel violence...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    pfft, (<---left that because it is soooo Shea) <snip>Next thing you know they will be telling us the CCW holders at bars are responsible for Mexican drug cartel violence...
    Not in Prescott --- only in Douglas and Nogales. Those towns are closer to the action.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I think that if you have a CCW, you should be allowed to carry your firearm into an establishment serving alcohol. If you have gone through the work to get a CCW, you are not going to be the type to drink and carry. The people that would drink and carry probably don't have a CCW anyway, why would violating yet ANOTHER law phase them if they are already disregarding CCW laws?

Plus, sometimes you are in a bar with a jukebox playing and the song really sux. It is easier to shoot it than to have to walk out to your car to get the tire iron.

John

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Not in Prescott --- only in Douglas and Nogales. Those towns are closer to the action.
    lol <does his impression of N_N's stink eye and universal sign of peace>
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Legal BAC has nothing to do with it really. If you are drinking at all and are carrying with a CCW, you can lose it if any cop questions you about it. If you are carrying, then NO drinking, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuhalter Vati View Post
    I think that if you have a CCW, you should be allowed to carry your firearm into an establishment serving alcohol. If you have gone through the work to get a CCW, you are not going to be the type to drink and carry. The people that would drink and carry probably don't have a CCW anyway, why would violating yet ANOTHER law phase them if they are already disregarding CCW laws?
    My thoughts, exactly!

Ok, so I have to go reload, don't drink my damm beer!! LOL!
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Legal BAC has nothing to do with it really. If you are drinking at all and are carrying with a CCW, you can lose it if any cop questions you about it. If you are carrying, then NO drinking, period.
    Everything I have seen says that you can carry and drink as long as you are not at the legal limit. If you would get a DUI then you cannot carry but until that point you can. The cop cannot revoke your CHP only the issuing Sherriff or Judge can do that.

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons.
    (1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:
    (d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).

"Under the influence" are the key words
    Last edited by Bebop; Thu Jul 2nd, 2009 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
    Everything I have seen says that you can carry and drink as long as you are not at the legal limit. If you would get a DUI then you cannot carry but until that point you can. The cop cannot revoke your CHP only the issuing Sherriff or Judge can do that.

18-12-106. Prohibited use of weapons.
    (1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if:
    (d) The person has in his or her possession a firearm while the person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or of a controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S. Possession of a permit issued under section 18-12-105.1, as it existed prior to its repeal, or possession of a permit or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article is no defense to a violation of this subsection (1).

"Under the influence" are the key words
    Right and in Colorado, 1 Beer is considered "Under The Influence" , so yes you "cannot" drink and have your firearm with you. Unless you want to press your luck.

I think the right thing to do is if you're going out to a bar to get "lit up" just leave your firearm at home or in the car.

I'm as Pro-Second Amendment as you can get. But I personally don't agree fully with Arizona on this one. For me it's not about the issue of concealed carry and being in a bar. I'm worried about that "ONE" dumbass that is going to give CCW's like myself and others a bad name. No one is perfect and sure as the world you'll get that one guy that just has to try it out, he'll go to the bar. Get hosed on some booze and then he'll get smack talked and something will happen. I can already see it happening now.

Again I'm not really against Arizona because it's their law and if it's law it's law. I just don't have enough faith in people for someone to be able to mix their alcohol and CCW.

Now am I saying I haven't been in a bar or in a restaraunt with a bar and been CCW. Of course I do it all the time(mainly in places where it's a dining area and a separate bar, like Old Chicago's) but then again I'm the exception to the rule. I don't drink "EVER" so I can get away with it. I know there are other people who walk the same line as myself.

However, I'm worried about those who do like to suck a few back and get rowdy. Now mix in the pistol and I think it will be just a matter of time before the SHTF.

I'd like to give CCW'ers the benefit of the doubt on this one but it's going to be a tough one. Mainly because I'm worried about the affects on gun rights in general. I know how the other side(Anti-Gunners) are reacting. They are waiting with baited breath for something to happen and when it does(lets hope not), they are going to pounce on it faster than Rosey O'Donnell at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I just hope to hell this doesn't backfire in Arizona's face.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

This can only lead to one thing...

MRA Racer No.427

Greedo getting shot??
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Han shooting first!

MRA Racer No.427