Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem - Sheared off and Cross Threaded Spark Plug

Serious Problem - Sheared off and Cross Threaded Spark Plug

I'm in a metaphorical ocean without a boat, life preserver, and tied to a 50,000 lb weight sinking rapidly.

In attempts to remove my spark plugs that the shop installed last to replace them, one of the spark plugs sheared off the head of the plug, and the lower part of the spark plug is left in the engine head, with practically nothing to grab on to. Worst of all, I can see the electrode through the center of the spark plug, so I'm not sure what happened to the center of it.

Does anyone in the Boulder area that could drive over to my place know how I could remove the lower part of the spark plug, which I believe to be cross threaded based on looking at the engine head around the plug, the metal seems a bit chewed up.

I've got cash and will be very generous if someone can physically help me with it. Because I think it is cross-threaded, I doubt I could use an easy-out to remove it. And replacing the head is sort of out of the question, as I'm talking about a 1994 Yamaha Seca2 which isn't worth very much right now.

HELP!

Thanks,

Garrett
    720-352-7345

Re: Serious Problem - Sheared off and Cross Threaded Spark Plug

Pics would help cause your description doesn't make a lot of sense. Just the ceramic portion broke right? The hexed nut is still there right?
    Danny

Hex is no longer there, pics follow:

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Yikes, that sucks.

Possibly one of those damaged bolt/screw removers would work, but that is iffy at best.

Might have to call the pros in on this one, maybe talk to the shop that hosed it for you?
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Do you have a back out tool?

If not, run out and pick up a set, you can get them for about ten bucks at Lowes
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Holly crap. Thats a new one for me, and we see a lot of weird crap. I would say it was probably cross threaded, which means when you do get it out you will probably have other problems. You could probably get it out with an easy out. You can get one from Napa.
    Danny

My initial thought was to use a simple easy-out bit, but with the possibility that it is cross threaded, and my poor past experience with easy-outs (have never gotten one to work for me) I thought someone on here might be able to shed some light.

A friend mentioned welding a socket to it (or a screwdriver inside it) and removing it that way, but A) I don't know anyone with a welder and B) it looks too close to the header to want to weld something to it as that would require serious precision in my opinion.

well if it wouldnt back out with an easy out, which it probably wont if it broke like that when you were loosening the plug to begin with, its going to be tough to do at home. What we usually do when there is exposed metal like that, is weld something to it and then break it free. In your case it should be fairly easy. You could just put a bolt in the whole and weld it to what was the plug.
    Danny

Welp, just got quoted from the shop (name withheld because its an old bike and it is a big problem) for around $700 in labor, plus gaskets and any other parts, assuming the head is still salvageable after removing the plug.

Off to home depot to buy an easy-out (not gonna buy the kit, just the one I need), and attempt at doing that. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna do as I have no means to transport the bike (on a trailer or in a flat-bed) so I'd need someone who could come to my place in Boulder.

I'll post up after I try the easy-out, but I'm pretty sure I'm throwing the money away on the easy-out and doubt it'll work, but I at least want to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Welp, just got quoted from the shop (name withheld because its an old bike and it is a big problem) for around $700 in labor, plus gaskets and any other parts, assuming the head is still salvageable after removing the plug.

Off to home depot to buy an easy-out (not gonna buy the kit, just the one I need), and attempt at doing that. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna do as I have no means to transport the bike (on a trailer or in a flat-bed) so I'd need someone who could come to my place in Boulder.

I'll post up after I try the easy-out, but I'm pretty sure I'm throwing the money away on the easy-out and doubt it'll work, but I at least want to give it a shot.

Holly crap, well if that doesnt work out, I showed the pics to my mech and he said he would work on it after work for $200. You would still be in the same boat, the threads are probably too screwed up to put a plug back in. There are kits to fix that too though. I dont use them here because I cant gaurantee them (They tend to want to back out when you take the plug out again). Better then replacing the head though, thats what I would do on my personal bike, if I were in that situation. We are in Erie, so you would still have to figure out how to get it down here though.
    Danny

If the threads are screwed up, you might consider helicoil inserts. Beats buying a new top end.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Or if you dont want to use a helicoil there is another company that makes something similar called Timesert or something like that. These were developed for 2000-2003 ish Ford F150 when they spit a plug due to too few threads in the head.

A search for F150 plug spit or something like that will find it....

Good luck.

I have never had an easy out work either. Actually last one I used broke off in the screw and then I could not drill the screw out due to the hardened steal easy out that was now wedged into the screw. Dremel was the saviour that day.

Sorry for the digression....

John

Thanks guys for mentioning the helicoils, I've had plenty of people mention those to repair the threads. Unfortunately, that isn't my primary concern right now, I still need to get the stuck sheared off spark plug out of the engine head.

As it stands now, I have a screw extractor nice and snug in the spark plug. But unfortunately, I don't have a square head socket (the packaging didn't say it was a square headed extractor), and I can't put enough force on the extractor with a set of vise-grips to get it to budge even a tiny bit (and I marked the plug and head with a line before starting, still perfectly aligned).

Back to the hardware store now, as I'm almost positive I don't have a square head female socket.

Or, as a last ditch effort, you could do this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...Q5fAccessories

The cams are crap and look like they have been underwater, but you don't need cams. It is pretty easy to swap the head on a SecaII. In and out in under 2 hours (or more).
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Try using a 12 point socket and an impact wrench on the extractor. Work it slow and use lots of penetrating oil. Might want to heat it with a propane/butane torch.

Also you could try drilling it out to the minor diameter of the threads then peel the remaining threads out.

I own a machine shop in Colorado Springs and made some spark plug adapters for some Harley guys before. They work pretty good. If push comes to shove I could probably make you one.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Mac020; Wed Jul 1st, 2009 at 03:12 PM.

Back to the hardware store now, as I'm almost positive I don't have a square head female socket.
    Depending on the size, you need to buy a hand chuck. Don't mess around with finding a socket that "might" work.

Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Thanks, I just tried a 1/4" socket on it, and the screw extractor is just slightly large than 1/4", so I guess I'll go pickup a hand chuck. Waiting a while, because I am exhausted, pissed off, sick of driving to the hardware store, depressed, about to kill someone and feel just plain helpless.
    Last edited by XJ600s; Wed Jul 1st, 2009 at 03:20 PM.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

+1 on using a socket on the extractor if possible, or you can try an open end wrench.
    I have a tap wrench that's designed for square end fixtures, but I'm in Littleton.
    More than welcome to borrow it if you can get it.

Also,
    Be sure to check the plug peices once it's out and make sure there aren't any peices of the plug still in the head.

If you can't get it out with the extractor or if the extractor breaks off inside the plug (been there-done that) you can try pulling the head and removing from the inside.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Well I'm done. Screw extractor is stuck, can't even remove that (but at least now it plugs the opening to the cylinder). I just snapped an open ended box wrench in half trying to grip the screw extractor.

Bike is now up for sale. Ignore all posts above this one. The bike is in PERFECT condition with absolutely NO problems whatsoever. Rides like a dream. Needs NOTHING! Accepting offers and cash only, no trades, firearms, prostitute timeshares, or other services rendered. Pick up in Boulder, CO tonight and ride it home!

If you can find someone to work on it for you (TFOG?), I can trailer the bike for you. Let me know.

Chris

Thanks Chris for the trailer offer, Jeff (asp_125) already offered his as well. At the moment I need to set my priorities straight and determine if it is worth it to fix a 15 year old bike with this problem. I will have to replace the cylinder head, there is no way I'm going to be able to get the spark plug out.

I am currently pricing out the gaskets and parts necessary to do this, in addition to help fund the project I am considering selling my less-than-a-year-old xbox360 and/or my race bike (2008 Giant TCR Team Advanced 0). In addition, I am trying to decide if I would be able to do this all on my own in the street, or if it'd be best to get a storage unit to store the bike. My biggest problem is that I move in a month (either back home to stay with family until I get a job or somewhere in the area) and would rather not have to move a non-working motorcycle with me, so I'd ideally like to get it done in the next 3 weeks.

I am currently pricing out the gaskets and parts necessary to do this, in addition to help fund the project I am considering selling my less-than-a-year-old xbox360 and/or my race bike (2008 Giant TCR Team Advanced 0). In addition, I am trying to decide if I would be able to do this all on my own in the street, or if it'd be best to get a storage unit to store the bike. My biggest problem is that I move in a month (either back home to stay with family until I get a job or somewhere in the area) and would rather not have to move a non-working motorcycle with me, so I'd ideally like to get it done in the next 3 weeks.
    If you have funds in place (no small feat, since I get the feeling you are a student), you can easily get this done in 3 weeks. If you find someone on the board with the tools and the know how you can swap the head on the street in an afternoon easily. The parts will be easy enough to get too. It just comes down to having cash on hand. You can probably get parts for the whole thing around $300 if you look around. The bike is definitely worth that investment.

PS - way to get that sucker on craigslist fast.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    If you have funds in place (no small feat, since I get the feeling you are a student), you can easily get this done in 3 weeks. If you find someone on the board with the tools and the know how you can swap the head on the street in an afternoon easily. The parts will be easy enough to get too. It just comes down to having cash on hand. You can probably get parts for the whole thing around $300 if you look around. The bike is definitely worth that investment.

PS - way to get that sucker on craigslist fast.
    I was a student, just graduated in May. However, I can't find a job for the life of me, so my reserve account that normally is for motorcycle related stuff (was actually saving up for a new bike), is now frozen until I find a job (at my own will). So, I really don't have much money to work with until 2 weeks out. I've quoted the bare minimum in parts and think I can get the gaskets, misc nuts/bolts and a few other items for $200, then a new head on eBay will cost about ~$150 shipped. It all is very doable, its just been a very long day for me, I'm in a horrible mood that normally only 1 thing could cheer me up, but since my bike is dead in the water, I really can't go out on a ride to clear my mind. I am not going to do anything until Tuesday at the earliest. Even if I order parts, they probably won't be shipped until Tuesday anyways with the holiday weekend coming up.

Haha, you saw the ad on craigslist? Just thought I'd list it to see if I had any takers before I drop $300-400 more in the bike. If someone brought me cash, I'd sell it right then and there, mainly because I tried selling it about a month ago to pick up a VFR, but the seller sold it in less than an hour and so I removed my listing.

Do you have a factory shop manual for the bike? I have one on PDF if you need one or if you just want the pertinent pages from it for the head replacement.