Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious Problem - Sheared off and Cross Threaded Spark Plug

Re: Serious Problem - Sheared off and Cross Threaded Spark Plug

Yea I've got the manual. I've read through it a few times and it doesn't seem that bad, it seems worse if I remove anything further below the head which is unnecessary. Thanks though!

I don't think you need a new head. A machine shop can repair it. Like stated above, it's not that difficult of a job to pull the head.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

After sleeping on it, I think I'll just attempt to pull the head and replace it. From what I've been reading using helicoils on a spark plug is a very bad idea (lots of people say it will heat up causing early detonation and will eventually blow that cylinder), others say its a good idea. But for $100 for a new head and more peace of mind and not having to leave my engine open with the head off while I take it to a machine shop to get repaired is worth it to me at the moment.

Next question, I know the valve cover gasket is reusable (assuming it is still in good condition but for $20 I can pick up a new one on eBay), but is the cylinder head bottom gasket (pretty sure this is metal) reusable as well? The manual doesn't say anything about replacing the gasket when the head is removed, it just says inspect it, which leads me to believe I just need to inspect for damage. But then again, peace of mind replacing it might just be the easiest thing to do.

Yes, you should replace the head gasket.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    <snip>....

Next question, I know the valve cover gasket is reusable (assuming it is still in good condition but for $20 I can pick up a new one on eBay), but is the cylinder head bottom gasket (pretty sure this is metal) reusable as well? The manual doesn't say anything about replacing the gasket when the head is removed, it just says inspect it, which leads me to believe I just need to inspect for damage. But then again, peace of mind replacing it might just be the easiest thing to do.

If you are going to all the work of doing this I'd throw in a new base gasket too. It'd stink to have a leak after it's done when you only had to pull one more part.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I would not replace the base gasket if it were me. Lot more involved in pulling the cyl vs. just the head. And once the seal on the rings is broken...new rings, maybe even new over-bore pistons if the cyl is worn (which was the case on my FZR). Throw a new head on and let her eat IMO.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Well, the parts are arriving today and I was originally thinking about moving the bike out to Lyons where I am house sitting for 2 weeks and was given permission to use the garage to work on the bike. But, I really don't want to trailer the bike out to Lyons and then have to trailer it back, so I think I may just wait until tomorrow when I have all day and knock it out on the street.

It took me over 5 hours to get everything reinstalled, except for the exhaust pipes.

But now the bike won't start (the starter motor just keeps going if i hold the start button, but the engine doesn't take over). I got everything reinstalled properly, fuel in the tank, all vacuum lines hooked up, idle adjuster screw set back to the proper spot.

I really should have just paid someone to do this for me, I'm so pissed off that I spent all day doing that and now it still won't start. At this point, I might even still be willing to pay someone to get it fixed but it probably is something easy. I need a drink and to stop thinking about it for the evening. But I really want my bike back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    I really should have just paid someone to do this for me, I'm so pissed off that I spent all day doing that and now it still won't start. At this point, I might even still be willing to pay someone to get it fixed but it probably is something easy. I need a drink and to stop thinking about it for the evening. But I really want my bike back!!!
    I've been there. Let it sit for a day or two, talk to some people to see what the problem might be, and go back at it with a new day's energy.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Think of the 3 systems required for combustion: Air, Fuel, Spark. Take a break and then look at each system.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I've been there. Let it sit for a day or two, talk to some people to see what the problem might be, and go back at it with a new day's energy.
    Yea, it's just really frustrating as I am driving back and forth between Lyons and Boulder (where my bike is) and am now stuck in Lyons until 11am tomorrow before I can work on it again. But I think it was just really exhausting working on it for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Think of the 3 systems required for combustion: Air, Fuel, Spark. Take a break and then look at each system.
    I remembered those, but really needed to get back to Lyons to check on the animals before it got dark. I am using a spark plug that I'm not quite sure works, so I know I need to check those. The fuel as well may or may not be flowing as I've got 2 vacuum lines that I'm pretty sure I hooked up in the right spots, but I may have them reversed, plus I need to get a few longer hoses because the current ones are really stretched out.

I really don't know squat about fixing your engine (or anything in life for that fact), but drop a line if there's anything I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    I really don't know squat about fixing your engine (or anything in life for that fact), but drop a line if there's anything I can do.
    Of course you can help. You can stand there, behind him, drinking a beer, saying, "Man, that shit sucks".

It's called Moral Support.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Actually Sean, if you want to stand around and organize my toolbox while handing me new tools when I ask for them, that'd be great! I tried being really organized today but ended up setting a tool down on the bike, or randomly setting down a socket and losing it. I spent a good 30 minutes in total looking around my workspace trying to find a tool. Most often, it had rolled away thanks to the strong wind gusts. In fact, my box of freshly ordered parts tried blowing away once, luckily I was walking outside just as it had started moving and was a good 50 feet away from my bike...

In all reality though, I just need a garage and a giant red tool box rack to store everything. My carry around toolbox just isn't big enough, so I always have to move tools around elsewhere.

Oh, and with the beer idea, I don't drink while wrenching as I find it goes faster without beer. Plus, when I cut myself (which I currently have a good 30-40 separate cuts on my hands right now that all bled at one point so they were not just scrapes), I don't bleed as much as alcyhol causes you to keep bleeding! (Yay fun fact for the day!)

Garrett,

I'll be back in Colorado on Friday and can stop by if you haven't got it running by then.

As you mentioned, it is probably something simple.

Thanks again Chris, you've been a huge help so far! I'll let you know but I'm going to try to spend 2 hours on it going over any and all possible issues (but at this point it probably is fuel, air, or spark. I also need to install the exhaust/headers, which I now realize could be part of the problem. I am also going to extend a few vacuum/fuel hoses to make things a bit easier.

Alright, I think I may have traced down the problem. When I go to manually turn the crankshaft, it only goes about 120* and stops. Then if I try to rotate it past where it started, it won't move at all.

Are you supposed to be able to spin it completely around? If the camshaft chain were binding somewhere, would that cause it to not spin?

Gonna ask the stupid question .. you're hand cranking it with the spark plugs out, right? Some motors have enough compression to make cranking a full 360* difficult.

Could the cams be installed out of phase? Like 180* so that the valves are opening out of sequence to the plugs firing?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

I have a little experience changing heads. I did one on a 74 XL 250 once. If you lined up the dots or the line in the cam chain with the crank your timing should be good.
    If you can turn the bike over with the starter and it doesn't make any crashing noises you could pull the plug and check your compression with a tester or even your thumb over the hole. If you can't keep your thumb over the hole you are in good shape.

Plus, if you can smell gas in the hole you maybe good there too. And lastly if you plug a spark plug into the boot and ground it to the head and you see a spark all the areas are covered. You just did a lot of work on the street so chances are you missed something. It happens to everyone.

Welp, I took the head cover off to find out that I didn't line up the holes on the portals and the camshafts like I thought. So, I removed all 20 bolts, lined up the holes and then reinstalled the portals/bolts.

Now the engine cranks like it should and everything is installed once again. The only problem I am having now is setting my idle as I had to remove the idle adjuster knob to remove the carbs, Now its just an issue of setting the proper idle because I still have spark and air. I'm spent so I'm done for the day, gonna start up again tomorrow at 11am. Hopefully I can get it started with very little frustration.
    Last edited by XJ600s; Tue Jul 14th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Props XJ for getting it (mostly) done. I’ve spent many a late night working on my bikes in my living room and it is def physically exhausting but worth it. No one will take the time and care that you will on your own bike. And once you’ve done a job like head/cams, it’s much easier the next time.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Props XJ for getting it (mostly) done. I’ve spent many a late night working on my bikes in my living room and it is def physically exhausting but worth it. No one will take the time and care that you will on your own bike. And once you’ve done a job like head/cams, it’s much easier the next time.
    Thanks, but I'm not cashing in on those props quite yet. I really wanted to get it running this afternoon so I could ride it out to Lyons, but spending 3 hours in the sun when its 90*+ outside gets a little rough. I know it's really close, just need to run through the basics and then slowly adjust the idle. I think I'm going to pick up a new set of spark plugs just for peace of mind that they are all brand new and work.

But definitely after pulling the cylinder head, not much other engine works seems daunting as long as I have the correct tools.

After going out this morning and trying to start it again just a few times, it did not sound like everything was all hunkydorey. The starter motor was turning, and the crankshaft was being turned by it, but it just sounded odd, like there was no spark or fuel (like trying to start the bike on a really really cold winter day with no choke).

Later this afternoon, I plan on getting new plugs, vacuum hoses and starter fluid. I am planning on pulling the plugs and cranking the engine over a few times to help air out the cylinders. Install the new plugs and try it a few times, if it doesn't work I will use a little starter fluid first in the air intake, and if that doesn't work, then a little bit in a spark plug hole.

I am still really hoping the engine is just flooded and it will start once aired out a bit.
    Last edited by XJ600s; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Question for the engine gurus!

With the spark plugs out and hand cranking the crankshaft, should I be able to fully rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees?

It only cranks about 120* still, but when I use the starter motor (ie hitting start), the crankshaft spins freely and I can see in the spark plug hole the pistons moving up and down (in more than just 1 cylinder).

So it seems to me that all that matters is the starter motor can spin the crankshaft completely.

Can anyone, please help me out? I really want to get this running because the gas in my truck commuting is killing me. I know it is very close to starting, I just need to get over the final hill.