Thread: I escaped the machine...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I escaped the machine...

I woke up this morning and decided that I'd rather spend the day on the VFR rather than in the office. I picked a route that was relaxed and would let me see some parts of the state I hadn't seen before. This was it, about 450 miles:

The part into the Pike National Forest was county road 77 (turn off 285 at Jefferson). It had some beautiful scenery but about halfway between Jefferson and Lake George the road was a bit rough for a few miles with significant stretches of gravel and mud. The VFR did ok but a tard would eat that road up.

From Lake George I took 24 over to Buena Vista and up to Leadville. I originally thought about doing Independence Pass but the clouds were building so I pressed on up 24. From Leadville I took 91 toward Copper Mountain. That was a nice road. A 911 and I enjoyed it throughly.

After a short bit on I-70, I got on 9 at Silverthorne and headed towards Kremmling.

From Kremmling I took 40 toward Granby. I hit a little bit of rain but nothing bad.

It was a great way to spend the day.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Re: I escaped the machine...

Nice pics
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Great pics, what a way to spend a day!
    For My Diavan

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

If you need a note for your boss I can cook you up one in Adobe
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    If you need a note for your boss I can cook you up one in Adobe
    My boss tells me I need to do more of this kind of thing.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

A bad day riding is better than a good day at work.

Of course, looks like you had a perfect day on the bike, so nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    A bad day riding is better than a good day at work.
    I thought I'd be sore and tired today but it's the exact opposite. I need to do more of that. And I will.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Next time your thinking about this and would like some company, let me know. Would love a long mellow ride!
    Every hunter is someones prey!

You just made the rest of my day in the cube that much more depressing, thanks Dirk.

Glad you had fun though mang! What a great look'n ride & way to spend the day!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    You just made the rest of my day in the cube that much more depressing, thanks Dirk.
    Your day will come. Rejoice when one of the brethren gets out of the pen and runs wild for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Glad you had fun though mang! What a great look'n ride & way to spend the day!
    It really was a good route with a wide variety of types of riding from 5 mph through slick mud, to triple digit sweepers where you could see ahead for miles, to canyons with tight switchbacks.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a good day at the office
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Graybird View Post
    Next time your thinking about this and would like some company, let me know. Would love a long mellow ride!
    Yesterday was one of those days where I just wanted to fly solo and go wherever I decided to go. But I'll definitely want to do more of these "see the state" rides and I'll be happy to do some with a group. I'll post up when I do them.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Sounds like a good day at the office

I feel great today.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    It really was a good route with a wide variety of types of riding from 5 mph through slick mud, to triple digit sweepers where you could see ahead for miles, to canyons with tight switchbacks.
    And let me say that the VFR performed admirably. All that riding and when I got home I felt like I could start all over again. Doing that on the Gixxer would have put me in the hospital.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    And let me say that the VFR performed admirably. All that riding and when I got home I felt like I could start all over again. Doing that on the Gixxer would have put me in the hospital.

Dirk
    Hahaha, I'm glad to hear you had such an amazing day. Good for you.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I'm going to do the same. have to save the vacation for this damn trip to NYC. I plan on gettin the job done in record time so I can burn a week blastin Colorado Roads ---- can you say a late summer or early fall Ride The Divide?

http://concours.org/rides/96rtd.html

Wunderbar Dirk... looks to have been a beautiful and soul cleansing ride!!!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?