Thread: License Plates

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

License Plates

Hi all,

I'm sure this is a stupid question but what the hell. A lot of people hide their license plate number in pictures but I'm not sure what the fear is. People can see your plate on the street, so who cares if it's in a pic?

I'm sure there's a simple paranoid explanation for it but the only thing I can think of is that people are worried about someone finding their address?

Thanks!
    Confused in Castle Rock

Re: License Plates

Can't trust any of you looking to steal a Kawi!

Here's a better one : all those who are trying to sell something on craigslist or such and don't post their phone number....even if they wanna sell the shit ASAP.....like right now if not yesterday if possible.

I agree - if you're trying to sell something why not put your phone number? Before the internet took over, we put 'em in the newspaper classifieds - what's different now? Is it just paranoia caused by a few unlucky instances?

BTW - who would want to steal a Kawi?

BTW - who would want to steal a Kawi? [/quote]

lol

Quote Originally Posted by kalibra View Post
    Here's a better one : all those who are trying to sell something on craigslist or such and don't post their phone number....even if they wanna sell the shit ASAP.....like right now if not yesterday if possible.
    I dont cuz I hate talking on the phone. I'll say "Text or E-Mail Please". Phone conversations are awkward.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    I dont cuz I hate talking on the phone. I'll say "Text or E-Mail Please". Phone conversations are awkward.
    O.k. email I get but Text Message?? when you're selling something?? That is just weird. If I saw an ad with "text message" as contact info, that would turn me the other way from looking into buying something.

What's so awkward about a phone call?? I've sold tons of stuff on either local want ads, ebay and so forth. I've always put a phone number(except Ebay unless it's been a few guitars I've sold, then I give it to the winning bidder). I would want the same from a seller. Because there may be questions I've got, plus it's nice to talk to a person and ask them the questions right then and there.

I don't know, if someone said "text" or "email" I might think they are trying to hide something. But that's just me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post

I don't know, if someone said "text" or "email" I might think they are trying to hide something. But that's just me.
    I am, my awkwardness on the phone.

Lol has gone from meaning, "laugh out loud" to "I have nothing else to say".

Why is a school zone 20 mph? That seems like the optimal cruising speed for pedophiles...

R.I.P. Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Nerves View Post
    I do a lot of selling on ebay and from our website and I actually trust the deal more when I've spoken to someone on the phone. I'm sure it's just old-fashioned but it seems like you have a better feel for someone after actually talking to them. Plus, an honest person is more likely to call you than a dishonest person. This is purely from my point of view and others may have had different experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by kalibra View Post
    I do this only because i dont want a bunch of bullshit calls.. you can reply in email and if you are an interested party and not some moron then i will email you my number or i will get your number in email and contact you. Not to mention if you say something wrong to someone that does call you, they can take your digits and put them under a gay personals section on CL and then you end up with even more crap! not worth it, if you are dedicated in purchasing something you will send an email and go from there, or you wont and you wont buy it.

Whats so bad about that?

As for the license plate its more of a security thing.. People can jump on here which is a free forum and see your car, run a vin check or run your plate and get your address etc. Just better because you can be a little secure about your stuff.

check it out 1000 after only 2 years
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    I do a lot of selling on ebay and from our website and I actually trust the deal more when I've spoken to someone on the phone. I'm sure it's just old-fashioned but it seems like you have a better feel for someone after actually talking to them. Plus, an honest person is more likely to call you than a dishonest person. This is purely from my point of view and others may have had different experiences.
    Same here, I'm old fashioned and still believe in the whole person to person thing. Hell I still judge a man by his handshake. A man's handshake will say alot about who he is.

But I agree, I think a genuine honest person will call you, mainly because they are interested in what you're selling. I think it's easier on the phone or in person, because people will get out all the questions they have and get to look the item being sold over a bit. Fair is fair I guess, and that's all I'm after and offer.

Quote Originally Posted by BeoBe View Post
    I do this only because i dont want a bunch of bullshit calls.. you can reply in email and if you are an interested party and not some moron then i will email you my number or i will get your number in email and contact you. Not to mention if you say something wrong to someone that does call you, they can take your digits and put them under a gay personals section on CL and then you end up with even more crap! not worth it, if you are dedicated in purchasing something you will send an email and go from there, or you wont and you wont buy it.

Whats so bad about that?

As for the license plate its more of a security thing.. People can jump on here which is a free forum and see your car, run a vin check or run your plate and get your address etc. Just better because you can be a little secure about your stuff.

check it out 1000 after only 2 years
    That's pretty messed up and I think it's a lot of trouble for someone to go to, just because they may have heard the wrong thing on the phone. Course in this day and age, I ain't saying it can't happen either. There are alot of folks that are off enough to put your digits in the want ads.

I just think it's pretty sad to take it to that extreme.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure this is a stupid question but what the hell. A lot of people hide their license plate number in pictures but I'm not sure what the fear is. People can see your plate on the street, so who cares if it's in a pic?

I'm sure there's a simple paranoid explanation for it but the only thing I can think of is that people are worried about someone finding their address?

Thanks!
    Confused in Castle Rock

Well now that you people have hijacked this persons thread and still haven't explained the question, now what?
    I want to know as well. It's not like somebody cant see a plate on your bike on the road, or in a parking lot, and write it down and try and find your address, so....
    What say you?
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I wouldn't really say this thread has been hijacked.. it just went from one security reason why plates are blocked online to another reason things are not given...

I get your point how it went from plates to phone numbers.. but wth
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Link
    bumper sticker w/ license plate number
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    It's not like somebody cant see a plate on your bike on the road, or in a parking lot, and write it down and try and find your address, so....
    What say you?
    But why would they? That would be just a random choice, but if you piss me off, and I know your plate I can find your address.
    I might show my bike in front of my garage with all my toys , if you want to come jack my shit, you get my plate, you know where to come get it.
    When I sell shit, I generally meet at another location besides my house, my gated storage is a good one. I just don't want the gen public to have that kind of access to my info.
    It is the Internet and there is a shitload of thieves out there

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    But why would they? That would be just a random choice, but if you piss me off, and I know your plate I can find your address.
    I might show my bike in front of my garage with all my toys , if you want to come jack my shit, you get my plate, you know where to come get it.
    When I sell shit, I generally meet at another location besides my house, my gated storage is a good one. I just don't want the gen public to have that kind of access to my info.
    It is the Internet and there is a shitload of thieves out there

Good points... I still think this is more the exception to the rule but like Black Knight said, in this day and age it could be different. I guess it's safer to put a piece of tape over the plate or do a little photo-shopping, just in case.

Thanks!

just toss the picture in paint and cover it up.. its quick and easy and you dont have to worry about dealing with photoshop