Thread: MRA Cancels PPIR Races

MRA Cancels PPIR Races

Due to declining entry numbers the MRA board has decided to cancel rounds 7 and 11 at PPIR.

They cannot afford to race at PPIR given the revenues they have brought in from the last three races.

PPIR rounds 7 and 11 canceled

“While it may not be as enjoyable, a series running only HPR may be the only way to save the club.”
    Last edited by Snowman; Sun Jul 5th, 2009 at 09:12 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

Re: MRA Cancels PPIR Races

I have been racing in many different sports for a long time, with several types of originations, and even with different organizations competing for the same racers. So I have seen this sort of thing before.

Racers (in general) want to race as many tracks as possible. The organization constrained by their budget, has to pick and chose the venues they can afford. This gives the races fewer track choices to race and so less of an interest in racing for that particular organization. With less racers interested, the organization has a smaller budget. And so on…

With several factors that have aggravated this scenario, the MRA has reached a point where they are seriously considering racing at only one venue as a way of keeping the organization solvent. The venue they have chosen is High Plains.

There seems understandable, it’s a new track with allot of club level investment. Until you consider two facts. One, HPR is not the least expensive track to hold a race at and two, the president of the MRA is also the High Plains General Manger. In my opinion this represents a conflict of interest.

It seems to me if you are unable to afford the number of races you want to run, then the first consideration as an organization would be the run fewer races at as many venues as you can. Reducing the cost for both you and the racers and keeping their interest in racing with you.

Instead of making racers pay for more races and giving them less of a choice.
    Last edited by Snowman; Sun Jul 5th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.

MRA Racer No.427

I was going to come down with my freind Mark from Billings, but my AHRMA race license wont work for entry level classes in MRA and I am to slow for Exp and pro classes.
    Im to far away, and to cheep to take the race school. He cant do fuel alone, so we stay home?

All of this boils down to one thing. Racing is expensive!
    I'd love to give it a shot but I know my wallet could never think
    about it. My guess is that track days will become more affordable
    And then we will all be out there more often.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    <snip>With several factors that have aggravated this scenario, the MRA has reached a point where they are seriously considering racing at only one venue as a way of keeping the organization solvent. The venue they have chosen is High Plains.

<snip> ...... and two, the president of the MRA is also the High Plains General Manger. In my opinion this represents a conflict of interest. <snip>
    Of what i have heard the current president of the MRA is not going to run for reelection due to that very concern.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Well put Snowman.

Racing is expensive but I know if I were out there I would prefer fewer days at different venues as apposed to racing and the same track all the time.
    I have only been out here in Colorado for a few months and have had the opportunity to ride HPR once. It was great but did seem very expensive from my experience. What I paid to ride HPR was about the same as I paid to ride Barber which is a world of difference as far a facilities and track quality. My old home track at JenningsGP was about half the cost as well and that inculded camping and electric hookup.
    Guess because of the shorter riding season they have to charge more to make up operating costs?

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

That sucks. PPIR is such a fun track, that I can't imagine racers *not* wanting to run at.

Hopefully upcoming seasons will be able to work the track back into the rotation.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    That sucks. PPIR is such a fun track, that I can't imagine racers *not* wanting to run at.
    I can't say I was particularly thrilled about it. Walls just aren't a good idea for motorcycle racing, even with air fence.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Of what i have heard the current president of the MRA is not going to run for reelection due to that very concern.
    Think he is stepping down? This is a quote from Glenn on the MRA board

"If keeping both the club and the track afloat means that we go to a shorter season and only race at HPR in 2010, that's what we'll do. "

Does the outgoing president set the schedule for 2010?
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins View Post
    Think he is stepping down? This is a quote from Glenn on the MRA board

"If keeping both the club and the track afloat means that we go to a shorter season and only race at HPR in 2010, that's what we'll do. "

No clue. I'm just a spectator.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post

Hopefully upcoming seasons will be able to work the track back into the rotation.
    Fun enough track but I wouldn't pay anything over $100 to run it and if I did it would only be 1 time, never thought it was a great track.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Of what i have heard the current president of the MRA is not going to run for reelection
    Deja vu all over again.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motorsteed View Post
    My guess is that track days will become more affordable
    And then we will all be out there more often.
    The flaw in that theory is that track day pricing isn't artificially high "just because we can". The days cost what they do, because it costs a lot of money to put one on. Guys like Scott aren't getting (any) richer putting on those days, it's more about a passion for the sport and wanting to make a safe environment for riders. Given that, I wouldn't expect prices to drop much if any.

If you want track days to cost less in the future, make sure you and your buddies attend the ones we're putting on now.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins View Post
    Granted when I was on the MRA board Glenn wasn't going anywhere, so what happens now may be a little different, but the season schedule was well in progress by the time the new year rolled around. The new prez could certainly alter it I'm sure, but Glenn will have likely put a fair bit of work into it by that point. Also if this is actually on the table right now, this is a decision that will probably be made with the input (and likely, votes) of the entire board.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

bad news, met a pretty awesome chick corner worker who is just as bummed as the racers.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!