Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver police sue city

Denver police sue city

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Denver police sue city

God --------- .......
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

I understand how it can be controversial. People don't understand what they have to do to get ready for work.

The problem isn't that they want to get paid for getting dressed at home. They're required to come to work in civvies to a locker, get changed into their uniform, and report for roll call. They don't start work until after roll call.

The original suit was from some meatpackers (read the article). Same situation. They're required to be ready to work at 8am (for example). But they have to get dressed into their protective suit which can take 30 minutes. So they come in at 7:30 or 7 to change into work clothes and protective gear. At 8am they punch in and start in at killing cows.

Right now you might come to work at 7am but not really start work until 8. What if you didn't get paid until your first meeting, until you lifted your hammer, or until the first customer asked for fries instead of at 7am? But you had to be ready for that first meeting. You had to be at the job site with hammer in hand. You had to have your McDonalds uniform on. All before 8am.

I'm with them. If I have to be at work at 7am, I leave at 4pm (unless there's an emergency of course) and I get paid for those hours.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

I don't get paid to dress myself in the morning, nor do I get paid the time it takes me to commute from home to work. Those things were understood when I took the job. Unbelievable...typical union mentality.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Among the other claims, the police department has not been compensating officers for the time it takes them to clean and maintain their "take home" department vehicles.
    I wonder if officers pay for the use of the car for the trip to and from work? I agree with Shea. This is the kind of thing that gives unions a bad name.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Maintaining the car and other police owned property I can see b/c it's actually saving the dept on maintenance labor. But the day I start getting paid for sitting in traffic b/c all of c470 came to halt while one of these guys was giving someone a ticket is they day I support their cause.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Maintaining the car and other police owned property I can see b/c it's actually saving the dept on maintenance labor. But the day I start getting paid for sitting in traffic b/c all of c470 came to halt while one of these guys was giving someone a ticket is they day I support their cause.
    You can't blame the cops for that. The day everyone stops fricking rubbernecking for every little thing that happens fricking _near_ the damned freeway, is the day you won't be delayed. I'd wait until the sun burns out since that'll happen first.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Right now you might come to work at 7am but not really start work until 8. What if you didn't get paid until your first meeting, until you lifted your hammer, or until the first customer asked for fries instead of at 7am? But you had to be ready for that first meeting. You had to be at the job site with hammer in hand. You had to have your McDonalds uniform on. All before 8am.
    I get paid to do my job for 8 hrs, my job requires a crapload more tools than these heros. My day starts at 7:00 and that is when I start. Dressed and ready to preform my job. Generally we pick up 10 min. before quiting time, but that is to lock up company tools.
    Most people in our shop are ex-Union (including the owner), and this isn't how we work. 8hrs of work for 8 hrs of pay

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I get paid to do my job for 8 hrs, my job requires a crapload more tools than these heros. My day starts at 7:00 and that is when I start. Dressed and ready to preform my job. Generally we pick up 10 min. before quiting time, but that is to lock up company tools.
    Most people in our shop are ex-Union (including the owner), and this isn't how we work. 8hrs of work for 8 hrs of pay
    I hope that you are not being sarcastic in calling them "these heroes" because though you may not like when you get a ticket, that's what most of them truly are.

For future posts, lets just debate on the issues. Please guys be mature, no police bashing. (not saying that whats what you were doing Bueller, but I can see this thread going that way fast)
    Whatever jack ass.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    You can't blame the cops for that. The day everyone stops fricking rubbernecking for every little thing that happens fricking _near_ the damned freeway, is the day you won't be delayed. I'd wait until the sun burns out since that'll happen first.

Carl
    I'm not blaming them for it at all, but I am saying that I'm required to sit through it on a regular basis and I don't bitch about not being paid for it. When I start getting paid for that, then I'll back their cause!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

The only OTHER job I can think of that pays for the employees to dress and undress requires a brass pole, black lights, and the copious consumption of alcohol....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Skinbabe View Post
    I hope that you are not being sarcastic in calling them "these heroes" because though you may not like when you get a ticket, that's what most of them truly are.

For future posts, lets just debate on the issues. Please guys be mature, no police bashing. (not saying that whats what you were doing Bueller, but I can see this thread going that way fast)
    Not police bashing, dumb ass bashing. Not a police thing it's an entitlement issue.

Even the Jeffco Sheriff says it's "inappropriate"

Not a police thing it's an entitlement issue.
    but we's got's rights!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I can think of a bunch of people who would just LOVE to get a job on the Police Force. They would be happy to get dressed without pay.

(honestly I think it's ridiculous, but I can kinda see both sides - kinda)
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'm just thinking that they'll take advantage of it. It may take them 30ish minutes to get ready, but you know there's that one guy that will get there early, clock in, bullshit for a half hour, then get ready. I think it's crap.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    I can think of a bunch of people who would just LOVE to get a job on the Police Force. They would be happy to get dressed without pay.

(honestly I think it's ridiculous, but I can kinda see both sides - kinda)
    I agree with the kinda. We dont have 2 mill right now to settle this. You should take what you have and be happy you even have a job and one you like at that. BUT... for those of on salary, we get paid for 8 hours if we work it, we get paid for 8 hours even if we work 10. The police are not salary employees for the city, they get paid overtime if they work it. If they have to show up at work 30 mins early to put on all the required gear to do their job, why isn't that 30 mins part of their work day?
    Whatever jack ass.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I agree with the kinda. We dont have 2 mill right now to settle this. You should take what you have and be happy you even have a job and one you like at that. BUT... for those of on salary, we get paid for 8 hours if we work it, we get paid for 8 hours even if we work 10. The police are not salary employees for the city, they get paid overtime if they work it. If they have to show up at work 30 mins early to put on all the required gear to do their job, why isn't that 30 mins part of their work day?
    Then just cut their hours out on the streets. Say they are usually working 8 hours/day.... they want to be paid for putting on their gear, and eventually will want to be paid to take it off too. Keep them on the street for only 7 hours and pay them that other hour for their pampering time.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I agree with the kinda. We dont have $200 mill right now to settle this. You should take what you have and be happy you even have a job and one you like at that. BUT... for those of on salary, we get paid for 8 hours if we work it, we get paid for 8 hours even if we work 10. The police are not salary employees for the city, they get paid overtime if they work it. If they have to show up at work 30 mins early to put on all the required gear to do their job, why isn't that 30 mins part of their work day?
    Fixed, you dropped a couple of zeroes that make it even MORE ridiculous.

My stepkid is a Denver Sheriff's deputy, and even he thinks it's bullshit.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I say cut the 'hero's' budget --- RIGHT NOW. Upgrade a road or fix a bridge with the savings. I'll bash cops anytime I feel like it.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I say cut the 'hero's' budget --- RIGHT NOW. Upgrade a road or fix a bridge with the savings. I'll bash cops anytime I feel like it.
    Then I hope one day you need one and they dont come.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Then just cut their hours out on the streets. Say they are usually working 8 hours/day.... they want to be paid for putting on their gear, and eventually will want to be paid to take it off too. Keep them on the street for only 7 hours and pay them that other hour for their pampering time.
    I agree 100%
    Whatever jack ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Exactly! I don't get paid for getting up, getting dressed, and sitting in traffic to be at work at 7. Hell every time I eat food or sleep it's so I can be fully functional and alert at work, so I should get paid for that too. In fact, my food, house, and toilet paper should all be paid for too since they all contributed to my being at work with maximum efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I'll bash cops anytime I feel like it.
    Jeff, you're such a badass!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Then I hope one day you need one and they dont come.

They always come when you don't need 'em

They always come when you don't need 'em
    They also come when you do.
    Whatever jack ass.

Not if they are getting dressed