Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Denver police sue city

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Denver police sue city

Quote Originally Posted by Skinbabe View Post
    Then I hope one day you need one and they dont come.

They always come when you don't need 'em

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    They always come when you don't need 'em
    They also come when you do.
    Whatever jack ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinbabe View Post
    Then I hope one day you need one and they dont come.
    My experience has been that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Unfortunately, the vast majority of our cops have been forced into a role of tax collector or social babysitter, rather than doing anything to actively prevent crime, mostly because every time they roust some known, obvious thug, said thug screams "profiling". My take: If you don't want to be known as or profiled as a criminal, don't be or act like a criminal. If you dress in clothes that look like you're trying to conceal a weapon, and act suspiciously, chances are you're gonna get hassled.

Back to the subject at hand, it's true that the police have somewhat different requirements when dressing for work than most of us, but that pretty much comes with the territory.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Then just cut their hours out on the streets. Say they are usually working 8 hours/day.... they want to be paid for putting on their gear, and eventually will want to be paid to take it off too. Keep them on the street for only 7 hours and pay them that other hour for their pampering time.
    Exactly! I don't get paid for getting up, getting dressed, and sitting in traffic to be at work at 7. Hell every time I eat food or sleep it's so I can be fully functional and alert at work, so I should get paid for that too. In fact, my food, house, and toilet paper should all be paid for too since they all contributed to my being at work with maximum efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    I'll bash cops anytime I feel like it.
    Jeff, you're such a badass!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Not if they are getting dressed

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Good point!!
    Whatever jack ass.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

and doing their nails .................
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

FTP!

Quote Originally Posted by derekm View Post
    FTP!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxAnjNVBt8

Sorry officer, I was speeding because I had to take time to put my clothes on this morning while I was off the clock and it's making me late to work, so since I paid for you to put your clothes on this morning, I'm just gonna get back to my commute (which I'm also not getting paid for) without that ticket in your hand.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

I ride to work every day. EVERY DAY. It takes me about 15 minutes to get ready and geared up to ride to work. I could choose to work from home, where I do not need to take this time to get ready. These people are ALSO making a choice about what they do for a living. They can choose another line of work that does not come with the "hassle of getting geared up". They need to lay off the band wagon lawsuit shit and focus more on doing their duty as a civil servant. Are they bitching about their free cars and free gas and free ammo and free personal safety devices? I think not.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    These people are ALSO making a choice about what they do for a living. They can choose another line of work that does not come with the "hassle of getting geared up".
    +1
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm complaining about my "free" ticket, does that count? (I got it for free! fail. )
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Last edited by modette99; Mon Nov 7th, 2011 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by modette99 View Post
    I see both sides...
    Maybe they should say you get 10 minutes to get dressed and undressed, or how about get dressed at home and come in (what is the big deal with that). Maybe take roll call and start the brief in the locker room.

The cops could make it worst for them selfs. Department might say fine, but now you need to dress at home and come in, and we will not unlock the door till 5 minutes before starting time, or you are not allowed to enter till then. Maybe they will say fine we will take away your use of a vehicle...no more storing them at home. All I can say is the cops better tread lightly on their demands.
    I agree.
    Whatever jack ass.

Agreed. I'm still missing why these officers aren't being told that "you've got 8 hours in the work day. Get dressed using 30 minutes of that day and get to work or come to work dressed. You don't get to have your cake and eat it too."
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

Frivolous = $200million
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I find this ridiculous. If you don't like how it goes, find another job. I know flight attendants that spend more time getting ready for a flight, yet they get paid 1/3 what some cops do. IMO, it's part of the job. How ridiculous they are asking for more money at this point in time, with the economy the way it is. If this is such an "honor", then the joy of putting on the uniform every time they go to work, should be payment enough.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

This whole "get paid for getting dressed" issue was brought up where I last worked. It is a pharmaceutical plant and we had uniforms that we had to wear there then shower and change after work to prevent bringing contaminants home with you. There were a few folks who always said that they should be paid for donning/doffing their uniforms (the company paid 10 minutes after you clocked out for shower time) and they were always told the same thing...if you don't like it...there's the door, good luck on your job hunt.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Of course when someone sues and wins, there's precedent and others can now sue.

As an exempt employee for many years, I get paid for 8 hours a day period. Doesn't matter that I spend time at home reading or learning something new. It's expected as part of my career (not the current job but the entire learning process).

I was saying I can see their point. If they're paid hourly and are required to be at work 30 minutes prior to the job, they should get paid for those 30 minutes.

When I was an MP, the shift started at 8, 4, and midnight. We had to go to the armory to check out our weapon and ammo. Then the motor pool to check out a vehicle (which included a checklist to check tires, lights, and the condition of the vehicle), get gas if appropriate, and be at roll call 30 minutes prior to shift start for inspection and briefing. End of shift was the reverse. At 4 the next shift took over and we had to take the vehicles back, get gas and get the vehicle checked in. Then return the weapon. After removing the ammo and making sure the gun was unloaded, you fired into the sand filled barrel to make sure it was unloaded. Heaven help you if a round was still chambered

Granted that's The Army and there may be a lot more work involved than with a Denver cop. Still, I have some sympathy for them

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Working is not a right. It’s an agreement between an employee and an employer to a set of expectations in exchange for payment. What is expected and how this is compensated can be anything, fair or not.

There are extremes both ways. From executives getting golden parachutes even if they run the company into the ground to contractors not paying for overtime to hourly workers because they are not in the US.

Now workers have every right to renegotiate this agreement. So if the cops what to be paid for getting dressed and going to their morning roll call meeting they should renegotiate their contract. Running to the courts to solve these disputes just cost everyone unnecessary time and money.

MRA Racer No.427

The phrase "at will employer " applies here I feel
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I think that we should all come to work naked. Maybe then someone will be willing to pay me to get dressed. Or at least send me home.
    CEO, Angry Marmot Motorsports
    07 Passion Red Kawi 650R