Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Web Hosting

Cheap Web Hosting

Oh ok i know some of you are geeks. I am trying to find a reliable hosting site that is cheap. I own 4 domain names that I use and have vaild email accounts under them. I am changing my ISP and my current hosting company this month.
    I was thinking of Justhost.com but not sure yet.

I am also thinking of hosting my email and website internally at my house. thinking of setting up my own Bind, SendMail and Apache server or installing SBS server to do the DNS, EMail, and Webserver. not sure yet what to do.

I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of both.
    Let me know your thoughts.

thanks in advance.
    Tom
    2003 SuperHawk

Why geeks like computers: unzip, strip, touch, finger, grep, mount, fsck, more, yes,fsck,fsck,fsck,umount, sleep.

Re: Cheap Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Oh ok i know some of you are geeks. I am trying to find a reliable hosting site that is cheap. I own 4 domain names that I use and have vaild email accounts under them. I am changing my ISP and my current hosting company this month.

I am also thinking of hosting my email and website internally at my house. thinking of setting up my own Bind, SendMail and Apache server or installing SBS server to do the DNS, EMail, and Webserver. not sure yet what to do.

thanks in advance.
    Contact Lee at Hostingshack.net... tell him JustSomeDude sent you. If you don't like his prices, send me an email... I'll lease you space on my server on teh cheapz. But I think his base package is pretty leet at only $5.99 / mo.

for teh Lawlz

I do hosting as well. What site(s) are you gonna be hosting?
    http://zoothost.com
    Jon

I used bluehost.com for almost 5 years, have around 30 heavy web sites hosted...
    good thing about any hosting company real time online chat or phone support,

hosting at home 1-50 static html pages fine, and depends how may visitors you expecting.... but for beginning may be a good idea to save money and switch to data center based company in future if traffics goes up...

Comcast UP speed / home users (~3MB) around 100 semi connections....MySQL transactions and PHP script time didnt count

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

www.1and1.com cheapest there is hands down!
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    My experience with 1and1 wasn't so good, and again it just my story....
    I signed up for advanced package hoping that they have SSH access, but didn't find any indication of it, called and canceled account, few month later received a letter from collection that i didnt cover my balance with 1and1, started investigation - took me 2 months to resolve it, cause "ping pong" customer service ignored my requests and phone calls...

But, may be cheap means ***

I am not so rich to buy cheap shoes

As with other things in life, cheap isn't always good. 1and1 is ok but their hosting control panel is a joke and it takes entirely too long for their support staff to take care of things.

And they're not the cheapest by far.

Come on back if you have something useful to post
    Jon

thanks in advance.
    How heavy are your sites, how robust a server do you need, and what type on page activities are you utilizing? (i.e. video, flash, CMS, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    Come on back if you have something useful to post
    Jon, you're my favorite internet snob
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Jon, you're my favorite internet snob

I'd do the same if someone wanted to register a domain name and a fanboy posted up how great GoDaddy is

I love seeing how people fall for marketing.

Now Tyrel, if you can break it down for me why 1and1 is so great I'd love to hear what you have to say
    Jon

I'd do the same if someone wanted to register a domain name and a fanboy posted up how great GoDaddy is
    I damn near did that in here just to see you go off!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Jon

thanks in advance.

I run many of my servers out of my house (website, trouble ticket system, gallery, video samples, email server, FTP sites, some other stuff)....QoS'd of course. Never had a complaint. I do have my main business email account hosted offsite for reliability but other accounts run from a mail server at home.

As for where my domains are registered.....GoDaddy I got tired of hopping around from different cheapy places that kept going under back in the day.....
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

x2. I have a couple hosting accounts and 20+ domains registered there. Love them to death.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGizzmo View Post
    I run many of my servers out of my house (website, trouble ticket system, gallery, video samples, email server, FTP sites, some other stuff)....QoS'd of course. Never had a complaint. I do have my main business email account hosted offsite for reliability but other accounts run from a mail server at home.
    While running a hobby website out of your home can be a cost effective way to dabble in websites, I'd NEVER recommend it to anyone wanting to run any kind of reliable business website, especially an Ecommerce site

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    x2. I have a couple hosting accounts and 20+ domains registered there. Love them to death.
    Mind breaking down WHY you "love them to death"? I'm curious.... Are they the first hosting company you've been with? Do you really "love" their archaic control panel for your hosting account? Do you "love" that it takes their support 4-6 hours to clear an IP address out of a firewall?

If you "love" them so much, please do share...
    Last edited by Player 2; Thu Jul 9th, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
    Jon

Again, it depends on the purposes of the site(s), how heavy they are, the functionality intended, useage/demand needs, etc.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

While running a hobby website out of your home can be a cost effective way to dabble in websites, I'd NEVER recommend it to anyone wanting to run any kind of reliable business website, especially an Ecommerce site
    Well considering most ecommerce redirect to 3rd party pay sites...i would still host a simple landing page from home.

Server room is air conditioned with a 2 hour battery backup, 4 terabyte 16 drive raid array, fail over to small webpage off site for major outages

Well considering most ecommerce redirect to 3rd party pay sites...i would still host a simple landing page from home.
    Most ecommerce sites don't consist of a simple landing page

So you'd run a 6-8 figure business out of your "server room" at home?
    Jon

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Server room is air conditioned with a 2 hour battery backup, 4 terabyte 16 drive raid array, fail over to small webpage off site for major outages
    That's cute.

(Then again we have petabytes of data and around 20k servers across a half dozen data centers, and our battery backup is really only used when the underground diesel tanks run out for the genny's).

The whole "I want to host a site for $3 a month, and want 24x7 support that will fix my shit in 8 seconds flat" is why I got out of the hosting business a while ago. Just wasn't into it enough to go after the customer volume necessary, or to deal with the customers themselves. Now I just have my own servers hosting my own stuff, support my own shit, and call it good.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Most ecommerce sites don't consist of a simple landing page

So you'd run a 6-8 figure business out of your "server room" at home?
    If you're running a 6-8 fig business then, chances are that you either ARE the ecommerce engine, or that you redirect to several 3rd parties that all have to coordinate and rehash to display in a user-legible way.

I mean if you're running a small to med sized basement biz as a distributor/storefront and you're hooking up to Google Checkout for your ecommerce needs, then yeah, I can see that. But not many of those guys run in the 6-8 fig range.
    Last edited by MetaLord 9; Thu Jul 9th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    That's cute.

(Then again we have petabytes of data and around 20k servers across a half dozen data centers, and our battery backup is really only used when the underground diesel tanks run out for the genny's).
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    That's cute.

The whole "I want to host a site for $3 a month, and want 24x7 support that will fix my shit in 8 seconds flat" is why I got out of the hosting business a while ago. Just wasn't into it enough to go after the customer volume necessary, or to deal with the customers themselves. Now I just have my own servers hosting my own stuff, support my own shit, and call it good.
    +1 thats why i do it myself, Mmmmm petabytes....waiting for the next datacenter to go out of business to get my next array ha!

Personally I would love to go put my equipment at some site that hosts so i can stop speeding $20+ a month in electricity but dunno what that would cost.....
    Last edited by TurboGizzmo; Thu Jul 9th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

Mind breaking down WHY you "love them to death"? I'm curious.... Are they the first hosting company you've been with? Do you really "love" their archaic control panel for your hosting account? Do you "love" that it takes their support 4-6 hours to clear an IP address out of a firewall?

If you "love" them so much, please do share...
    Wow...

Let me start with the fact that I own my own server in a datacenter for the site that I run, as well I used to run a hosting company. 1and1 is simple, they provide lots of tools, registering/changing new addresses is quick, lots of space, plenty of bandwidth, better prices than most anywhere else. As for their support, it's like calling a bunch of monkeys. They scratch their head like "WTF?" when you throw them anything technical. But, since I know enough, I never have to deal with their support.

What do you mean by clearing an IP address from a firewall? That statement by itself makes absolutely no sense to me (and I manage networks for a living). And how, exactly, is their control panel archaic?
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    I own my own server in a datacenter for the site that I run

Like you could go pick it up and take it home? How much does that cost?

Like you could go pick it up and take it home? How much does that cost?
    Yup. It's my server that I purchased specifically for a datacenter. Depends on the datacenter, but you can do it for as little as $100/mo.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F