Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dog Has Cancer? My Dog Has Cancer

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Re: My Dog Has Cancer? My Dog Has Cancer

Buster and me say get better soon!

...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Little Casey sends his love

Blue Pit - 1/4 Husky (9 weeks old)

Horrible news chica.... all my wishes for a speedy recovery so she can come home and give you all kinds of loving slobber kisses!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Molly.....she is totally worth whatever I have to pay to get her better....if I can.
    she's an adorable little lab if I've ever seen one. cancer is bad news and I do hope she can get better. best of luck to you both.

Nutmeg and I give our best.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Hopefully everything works out for Molly.

Roxy gives you and Molly her best.

Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

AKA "Devaclis"

Maceo said "eh, it's gonna be fine."

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Member Yearly Supporter Jtigger's Avatar

Typical cat response to everything!

Orion and Kit would like to add that ice cream is a post surgery requirement

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Molly.....she is totally worth whatever I have to pay to get her better....if I can.
    Heartbreaking news. Keep your chin up though. I'll keep Molly in my thoughts and wish the very very best outcome for her.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Lost 2 of mine in the last 6 months, my sympathies. One of them got cancer when he was 6, on his face, but they cut it out and he was fine.

I would offer this dissenting opinion. My prayes for the surgery, but if it comes to chemo, reconsider. Its a very painful and draining proceedure, but a human can reason through it. A dog will have no idea of why they are being tortured, even though it is for the best, and you simply can't communicate enough to explain it to them.

Over Christmas, my oldest was fading fast, the only option was to keep him at the vet, all day, on an IV drip. He couldn't stand, and was in a kennel by himself. He would have to sit in his own waste until the busy staff got to him. I would go see him evey morning and afternoon, but it just wasn't right. We brought him home. He was happier, but unable to deal his inabilty to move. I would make him as comfortable as possible, but he would howl with frustration when he couldn't stand up. The sounds he made broke my heart and I had to come to the realization I was keeping him around for me, not for him.

16 years old. I had that little dog from the first year I joined the military. Throught 2 countries, 5 states, 12 moves, and 1 failed marrige, he was there. He screened my wife, when he met her he settled in her lap and that told me she was a keeper.

So I get loyalty, and believe me, after you, no one wants your dog to recover more than me. But even after my vet warned me, I kept him around too long. I wish he hadn't suffered as much. I wish I had been more loyal to what he needed than to what I needed, becuase all he ever gave me was unselfish, nonjudgmental unconditional love.

Ricco and Shady (the 1st two on the left) and I also wish you both a quick recovery.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

Quote Originally Posted by Mental View Post
    I would offer this dissenting opinion. My prayes for the surgery, but if it comes to chemo, reconsider. Its a very painful and draining proceedure, but a human can reason through it. A dog will have no idea of why they are being tortured, even though it is for the best, and you simply can't communicate enough to explain it to them.
    Amen. I agree 100%. They gave me the option for Tyler and I refused it. God I miss that boy.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Lost 2 of mine in the last 6 months, my sympathies. One of them got cancer when he was 6, on his face, but they cut it out and he was fine.

I had to come to the realization I was keeping him around for me, not for him.

So I get loyalty, and believe me, after you, no one wants your dog to recover more than me. But even after my vet warned me, I kept him around too long. I wish he hadn't suffered as much. I wish I had been more loyal to what he needed than to what I needed, becuase all he ever gave me was unselfish, nonjudgmental unconditional love.

Ricco and Shady (the 1st two on the left) and I also wish you both a quick recovery.

WOW!!! I agree with you 100% - and thank you, you are absolutely correct!!!

eloquently put Mental...thank you for your honesty. couldn't agree more.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

What type of cancer is it? Some are quite treatable and some, well, not so much. Also, I raised and showed Siberian Huskies for 25 years and few of them got cancer. On some of them the chemo was very affective and they seemed to tolerate it much better than people seem to.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

Mental nailed this one on the head--well done sir! If this doesn't work out, just remember Molly has had a good life while in your aegis and there are many rescue pets that will never get the opportunity you have given your companion. I do hope it is curable; but if it is not, there are others in need of your excellent fostering.
    Last edited by zetaetatheta; Fri Jul 10th, 2009 at 11:57 AM.

I really don't know what to do. I've had Molly in to the vet early this morning and she wants me to consider removing her entire front leg. She's concerned that she can't get the margins of depth required. She's my hiking dog. She would be devastated.
    I told her to try to get it........not what I expected.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Sorry to hear about the leg. It is a tough decision you have to make. I refer back to Mental's post and no one is in a position to judge you on any decision you make. Just do the right thing in your heart.

We were up at Winter Park a few weeks ago and they must have been having a tripod convention or something because there were a bunch of 3-legged dogs running around. One thing I noticed is that it wasn't slowing any of them down. They were still happy and playing... one was swimming in a pond at the base of the mountain. Dog's have an amazing way of adapting.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

AKA "Devaclis"

You get that doggie a wooden leg and an eye patch go hiking!!! Hell, I have met dogs with wheels after being paralyzed in the hind quarters. They were happy as all get out.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I wish I had been more loyal to what he needed than to what I needed, becuase all he ever gave me was unselfish, nonjudgmental unconditional love.

Good thing, I'm hiding in my cube right now. All I can see is Buster's face and all I can think about is "What would I do?"
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Rocket says, "Molly can have my leg if she needs it!"

Attachment 13824

I've been in your place, sort of--my kitty had cancer and in the end I lost him. He was my fur-child. Now I'm tearing up!

Crap someone's coming to my cube.
    Last edited by Squisha; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I have the reading comprehension of a six-year-old

Spoke with the husband in CA. We decided that if the vet couldn't get all of the cancer than we would leave the leg on and hope we get as much love and time from Molly as possible. We'll pray for a miracle and leave it at that.
    I've had to put a dog down before, but not at five years of age....and this one is SPECIAL. A once in a lifetime dog...I mean it.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

.... We'll pray for a miracle and leave it at that...
    Thats a better plan than it sounds like. Dogs are amazing creatures, and love goes a long way. We are still keeping our thoughts and prayers.
    GSXRScott made me follow him into that corner,...down that hill...there was the time up that washout...crankcase alley...man I gotta stop following him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle View Post
    ...I knew all too well what would happen if the old guy on the Beemer took the lead...

We decided that if the vet couldn't get all of the cancer than we would leave the leg on and hope we GIVE as much love and time TO Molly as possible. We'll pray for a miracle and leave it at that.
    Girl I am so very sorry. All you can do now is gather facts. Get as much info as you can to base your choices off of, then do the right thing by Molly. You will know in your heart what the right action to take is when you are confronted with it.

My heart goes out to you. I know it hurts.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 10:45 AM.

2005 SV650S Street