50. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

26 52.00%
  • no

24 48.00%
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Super street bike class next year in the MRA

Super street bike class next year in the MRA

This has been bouncing around in the MRA forums and I am supporting the idea too. Here is the what I propose: Offer two or three simulated races on Saturday afternoons after the completion of endurance races. The class structure could be based on bike size or rider skill levels and would likely be a timed like endurance for example. The rider requirements would be; current AMA member, completion of MRA race school, current MRA license (these are all insurance requirements to be on the track at a MRA event to my knowledge and there may be a few other requirements not listed). Bike requirements; no antifreeze (water or waterwetter allowed), engine case guards required, lenses or glass taped off, and steering dampener. Gear requirements; helmet (latest snell rating), back protector, one or two piece leathers (two piece must zip completely together), gloves, and boots. Cost of a class would be somewhere between $50-$100. As of now the idea doesn't include scoring each class so no trophies, points, contengency, or championships. And the MRA rulebook would be followed in terms of racer conduct and any other issues!!!!

What is the point of this suggestion? I have friends that have one bike and want to get on the track, be involved with the club, but don't want to give up their ability to ride their streetbike on the street. These guys/gals also don't have the budget to race full tilt. All of my friends are in favor of this proposal and I would like to see them get involved. I would also like to see more people get involved too.

The important thing now is to hear from the members of the CSC about this idea! The CSC is the riders that would be supporting such a class.

Remember this is just an idea right now, but that is where change starts is an idea.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have or comments.

Jeff
    Last edited by MRA 32; Tue Jul 14th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Re: Super street bike class next year in the MRA

tape up the hole/opening in the belly pan and i will support it

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

I would LOVE to, and then maybe i wouldn't have to tell my wife i was really racing...

let me know!!! sounds like a way to get a feel for it and stuff without really having to spend the whole million!

I totally support the idea of such a class however I would not personally participate in it. I think its a great way to give street riders a taste of racing. If you can experience it then that might be persuasion to go all out and either get a race bike or fully prep the street bike.

Good work Jeff!!!
    Casey D

Grasping at straws. IMO

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

People that've actually raced won't run it obviously, but other clubs have had success with this model to bring in new folks. FYI my posts on MRA forum also included at least a minimum amount of safety wire. Not sure if taping belly pans would work as some street plastics just don't work that way, but with wired drains, filters, etc I think the chances of a big oil-down are small. We certainly don't get any higher incidence of that at Chicane days or even R2SL with street bodywork as long as bikes are prepped and tech'd each day.

Also I disagree on the simulated part. Ok no championship, but it's a race, and people would be paying for one. Score it, give same-day certificates for podium finishers or whatever, but if you want people to get drawn in and hopefully bite the bullet on the real racing, then you need to make it like a real race.

I'm also glad to see multiple people are contemplating the concept and what it would take. And a few that are like "man that's dumb" which is fine, but I think the idea has merit. Since it doesn't actually cost the MRA anything except some time in the schedule and some rulebook mods to account for the new class I don't see why it shouldn't be tried, despite some folks freaking out at the idea of a street guy going out on their precious track (even though that is exactly what happens on open lapping days, along with cars, and nobody's losing their minds about that one).

Bottom line, the class wouldn't be for experienced racers to enter or even care much about - we have our own stuff. It's for newbies who just want to see what it's all about without dropping thousands of dollars, and in that light I think it's worth doing.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

You might get people to show up for one time but I think the novelty will wear off quick. Of course if you charge $300+ (MRA School + lic., AMA and entry) for a mock race then the street riders will learn one thing about racing for sure, it hella expensive!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Might bring more women who ride, as well.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

As far as the “Oil Slick” complaint that seems to keep coming up whenever “Street Bikes on a Race Track” is mentioned, I don’t think this is as big as a problem as racers are making this out to be.

How many times has a street bike oiled a track vs. how many times a race bike has? Does anyone have this statistic?

I have seen/heard this happening just as often from race bikes as I have from street bikes. In fact a full on race bike dumped its load all the way down the back straight and into turn 4 at HPR on Monday. Its pan did stop this from happening, and it only took them 20mins to clean it up.

As long as street bikes are teched properly (ie the way Chicane Days not how HPR Lapping Days.) I don’t see this as real an issue.

MRA Racer No.427

I agree with the novality statement above. The reason I say that is because if I have gone to the trouble to go to the race class, get AMA and MRA memberships paid up, bought case covers, maybe some saftey wiring then why would I not race? I could see this being a one time shot for potential racers and if I did half way decent I would jump right to real the thing (which maybe is the goal here).

I can't see someone putting that much into it for a simulated race more then once but thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by Matrix; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 08:06 AM.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Might bring more women who ride, as well.
    Will you?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    As far as the “Oil Slick” complaint that seems to keep coming up whenever “Street Bikes on a Race Track” is mentioned, I don’t think this is as big as a problem as racers are making this out to be.

How many times has a street bike oiled a track vs. how many times a race bike has? Does anyone have this statistic?

I have seen/heard this happening just as often from race bikes as I have from street bikes. In fact a full on race bike dumped its load all the way down the back straight and into turn 4 at HPR on Monday. Its pan did stop this from happening, and it only took them 20mins to clean it up.

As long as street bikes are teched properly (ie the way Chicane Days not how HPR Lapping Days.) I don’t see this as real an issue.

Are you talking about oil from blowing up your motor or from crashing and damaging a case cover?

If your statement is about blowing up you are right. Not very often do sportbikes blow up and oil the track. Belly pans do help somewhat when this happens though.

If you are talking about case covers not being needed, i would disagree.
    Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Will you?
    It's a possibility. I've always said that I can't do the race thing because of costs, but getting a taste like this is what I want to take to my grave. I know my motives are a whole lot different, but well...yeah, I would.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    It's a possibility. I've always said that I can't do the race thing because of costs, but getting a taste like this is what I want to take to my grave. I know my motives are a whole lot different, but well...yeah, I would.
    The whole purpose of this is to give you a taste of Heroin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    The whole purpose of this is to give you a taste of Heroin.
    LOL...well put.

I think this class will be a good way for street riders to trash there nice OEM fairings but to each their own.

From my point of view, if I wanted the race experience I would just make the commitment and race; none of this pretend racing stuff. If I go to the trouble of getting a license, prepping the bike, the support vehicle and trailer etc. it's not a stretch to actually race. If I just wanted track time, Chicane has a great program for that already.

You go through the PITA process of taping up lights, etc each weekend and pretty soon you realize the value of having a race bike that you don't have to convert back and forth. So while the idea is good, in the long run I see participants either trying it once and dropping out, or moving up to the real MRA classes. So long term survival of such a class is doubtful.
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Bike Bandit is where I shop. My fairings are quarter fairings. I call it the "bikini top". And, one side of my bike has a rash that goes the full length already anyways. I would more than likely and this goes out to any other street rider who would consider this...but, I would put away some cash into my savings that I've ear-marked for the off-chance that I trash my bike.

Oh, but I'm not supposed to crash anymore anyway...so there you have it. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    I agree with the novality statement above. The reason I say that is because if I have gone to the trouble to go to the race class, get AMA and MRA memberships paid up, bought case covers, maybe some saftey wiring then why would I not race? I could see this being a one time shot for potential racers and if I did half way decent I would jump right to real the thing (which maybe is the goal here).

I can't see someone putting that much into it for a simulated race more then once but thats just my opinion.
    I don't think that people are going to go through the extra effort to race a streetbike endurance race. If you are investing that much time and money, you would already be racing (or in the process).

If you actually want street riders to race, the requirments would need to be similar to a trackday with maybe a one day license fee for the MRA. Then get a rider rep to hit the very basics so that everyone is on the same page.

Alot of track day riders become racers after they crash their street bike on the track. Its usually cheaper to make it a race bike then to make it a minty street bike again.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

It must be because of my age. I don't see investing all that money to actually race at this stage of my life. That, and I don't have a whole lot to invest anyway...oh and I have to figure out how I'm going to get my retirement back, etc. But...it's the idea of the "simulation". I've done a couple of track days. I've ridden at IMI...and as a side note: One time, there were about 20 some odd bikes out on that track and I was the only woman...the amount of testosterone I was feeling as I leaned into corners was freaky. I ended up exiting the track only after about 4 laps.

Anyhoo, I digress. What I want (personally speaking) is a taste, even if it does not mean I actually do the full-blown racing later on. Hell, I invested in leathers that I've worn only for those track days and a few times at IMI. It was a good investment...to me. No one has to agree with me. This is a completely selfish thing I would do anyway.

The thing that is hard for me, is that upfront costs. I even have a race prepped bike, but to spend:
    AMA membership $40
    MRA Membership $150
    MRA School $300
    One Endurance Race $50-100
    = $550-600

It's kind of steep. And that's not including any additions to a bike (case covers, steering damper if you don't have them). And I don't even know about the insurance that one would need. How much would that run? While I think the MRA does need a boost, and I am happy to help if I can, getting someone to drop $600 for 30 min of fun (with no scoring or recognition) doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Are rules set in stone? Would a change to adding recognition be absolutely out of the question?

As far as spending that kind of money is concerned. You would spend it anyway, racing or simulating. My rationale would be like anyone else who decides to do something like this...skydiving, flying a hang-glider once or twice, and other stuff, just to get a "feel". To me, it's like spending my vacation money creating a lasting memory.

Besides, I live in Colorado...every weekend is a mini-vacation as far as I'm concerned. I would not be losing out on anything.

Edit: If someone else is considering the transition to racing, but just is not sure about it and yet, wants to know what it's like, then this might be the answer. I don't know about the rationale of adding this race class, but after reading some of what's going on, I think I understand. Track days are also good and Chicane does a great job of adding a level of track time for people who are wanting the experience and wanting to make a decision between just doing track days, or actually racing. I'm all for choices. In today's economy though, choices are tougher to fund, I guess.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.

Space Camp....ish