50. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

26 52.00%
  • no

24 48.00%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Super street bike class next year in the MRA

Re: Super street bike class next year in the MRA

Shineyside, the MRA board is already looking at basically everything you listed as well as many other suggestions.
    Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Fair enough, but nobody's going to buy a one-day associate membership, so really we're just talking about a single-use race license / membership, which exists now.
    You are correct sir. I was trying to be clear on what he was asking.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    Shineyside, the MRA board is already looking at basically everything you listed as well as many other suggestions.
    Mike
    Great. But not everybody is going to check those boards (like me), and the CSC is going to be one of the contributing factors to see if this might work. I may be wrong, but CSC is pretty much your target audience, isn't it? So I'd be interested in hearing what we (as in the collective "we") think.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Why doesnt a class like this get paired with the sportsman class???

I think they are similar and would have the same level of riders.
    You make it a contingency class you will get a few experts in there
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Scotts Steering Damper - Kawasaki Z750
    $431.10

Scotts Damper Mounting Bracket Kit - Kawasaki Z750S
    2006 to 2008
    $139.00
    First giant cost savings would be eliminating the need for this crap
    That would be a good fit and if there was 1 or more people that had a ninja 250 right now all they would have to do is sign up.
    This would be probably the only class I would consider racing, and I do happen to have 1. But I will never race with the MRA as long as Costner is president.
    We are talking about the kawasaki ninja 250 not TZ or RS 250's right?
    God I hope so, my baby ninja would cry

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

We are talking about the kawasaki ninja 250 not TZ or RS 250's right?
    That's my understanding, yeah. Simple, reliable, not terribly fast but probably corners great. We have one at home now, I might bring it out for the next track day Aug 16th just to see what a stock one does on a track at this elevation if I can sort the carbs before then.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Great. But not everybody is going to check those boards (like me), and the CSC is going to be one of the contributing factors to see if this might work. I may be wrong, but CSC is pretty much your target audience, isn't it? So I'd be interested in hearing what we (as in the collective "we") think.
    Sean he's talking about the Board of Directors, not the MRA "board" i.e. forum. I think they know CSC is a target audience.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Sean he's talking about the Board of Directors, not the MRA "board" i.e. forum.
    Well then....that would make more sense.

Nothing has been decided yet but as soon as something is i will post it here. All of the ideas are being put together to be looked at for pros and cons.

For the most up to date info checking the MRA boards would be a good idea.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

While case covers and a damper are important, would they be necessary for a one of two time use this season?
    I wouldn't feel too bad if the damper requirement was scratched (although it has saved my bacon a couple of times) but the case covers would have to be done. Oil on the track is too likely to occur with a class like this and it could ruin the entire weekend.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    <snip>
    This would be probably the only class I would consider racing, and I do happen to have 1. But I will never race with the MRA as long as Costner is president.

And the real issue has been revealed .....................
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    And the real issue has been revealed .....................
    My issue, the MRA's or both

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I wouldn't feel too bad if the damper requirement was scratched (although it has saved my bacon a couple of times) but the case covers would have to be done. Oil on the track is too likely to occur with a class like this and it could ruin the entire weekend.
    I agree 100%. I have both on the track bike but I was just playing devil's advocate to make things more accessible for everyone. My logic (or lack of), was that we have many track days without needing to have them. It appears that we haven't really run into any problems withing the past 2 years. I didn't know if it could be something to be flexable on? Like I said, just a circumstantial idea.

Case covers IMO aren't a major deal and here's why:
    1. In my experience (years of it at this point), there really isn't a much greater incidence of big oil-down's from street riders versus racers.
    2. The big oil incidents come from blown motors, loose filters and drains, etc. These most definitely happen to racers with all the tech requirements on the planet at least as much as street guys; in fact the three biggest oil incidents I have ever had to clean (read: hour-plus efforts with trucks and lots of people) were from race prepped bikes. Belly pans don't mean shit when it's being blown out the back at 80mph.
    3. If a non-aftermarket-covered bike crashes and spills itself, we are talking a max of 3 quarts really, and likely less. Most crashes end up in the dirt after a brief slide. In reality aftermarket case covers will not make one damn bit of difference when you consider everyone's Great Big Fear here is some asshole oiling down a full turn, etc. Even if he blew the side of the motor off while right on the line on the apex as he lowsides, the bike will slide off-line quickly and make most of its mess in one place once it's stops. Easy to clean.
    4. The argument that they might make a bigger mess and "we won't race after a street bike is out there" is horse shit. Just what do you think happens on Friday lap days?

IMO the risk of a day-affecting or safety-altering oil event will be dramatically reduced by simply requiring that drain pan bolts be wired and filters secured using the $2 hose clamp method. Easy to verify at tech, and really the same level of risk for post-tech trickery for race and street bikes alike. The case covers just aren't that big of a deal. Yes they're a good idea, but it isn't like the major oil incidents we usually experience have anything to do with whether they were on the bike or not.

The best requirements we could make would be safety wire to MRA standards, and flushed (and verified) cooling systems.
    Last edited by rforsythe; Wed Jul 15th, 2009 at 04:54 PM.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

It appears that we haven't really run into any problems withing the past 2 years.
    Yeah, but the racing environment is at a much higher level of intensity in terms of competitiveness and passing. At a track day if I'm stuck behind someone, I'll be patient and pass them when it is ultra safe. If I am in a race, my mindset is very different. I'll be looking to get by them at the very first opportunity. That mentality, combined with people who are inexperienced in that environment will lead to crashes.

Someone said earlier that it sounded like racers were being sort of "elitist" with their objections about eliminating various safety requirements. But that is the farthest thing from the truth. These things have been developed over many years of experience with making racing as safe as possible. They aren't just made up will-nilly to keep people out of the club. Far from it. I think all of us would like to see racing grow and thrive. We just don't want to take unnecessary risks in doing so.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eklew View Post
    Since we are all in financial strains these days, please search ebay, WERA, AFM, or any other avenues and look for used items. You will save a ton of money. The first item you listed is a steering stabilizer. You can find those for half of what you listed for a used piece in perfectly good condition. You may have to pony up for new brackets however. Just my opinion on trying to find bargains out there.
    Yep...thinking about other ways to take care of what I would need to take care of. And as Sean reminded us with his quoting of Jeff's post...there is no mention of belly pan. I would think though, that since I have a semi-naked bike that it would be best if I had one of those as well?
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

with all the requirements for the bike, I would rather go to a chicane track day and pretend to race there. If you want me to "race" in a class like this. I would if it was a run what you brung. Pass inspection get some practice time and race a bit. At a reasonable cost with minimal prep. With all the fees and bike prep, shit i might as well get a used race bike and just race.
    This should be an introduction to racing not season long racing so price it as if.
    I am sorry the MRA is having a hard time, but you ain't going to get out of this slump by over charging us to play for a day we dont have that kind of $$$. I am not paying out that much in bike prep and fee for a day of fun. I would be willing to pay $200 maybe $250 in total to go. I am not going to safety wire my street bike and i am not going to buy all that race required stuff, not for my street bike. But to pay a little more than track day fees to say I raced for a day and won a paper certificate, sure you can get me to go

hope that helps a little
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

After reading Chad's post, another thing occurred to me. What do the kids pay to race their street legal cars at Bandimere? What kinds of things do they have to do to their cars, etc to "pass" muster? I mean, if taking your street vehicle to a track to actually participate in a race, shouldn't the idea behind that be that you don't need to do too much to make that vehicle track ready?

Sorry to add that into the mix considering I'm all gung-ho...but, it's just more to consider I guess.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I personally would not ride in this proposed class.
    If I was to race, I would prefer to get lapped by
    racers, not a street rider due to the inexperiance.
    It is my opinion that the risk would be greater to have
    an incident getting me hurt.

I will be at the next round to race on a borrowed
    (read wifes) bike to support the club, as my race bike I am building
    is not ready yet to ride due to various issues.

So, see you'all at the next round, don't bump me off
    when you pass me.

Peace Bash
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

What class(es) ya racing Bash?

than sincere ignorance

What class(es) ya racing Bash?
    Meat Grinder aka MW endurance.
    I will see you on the back row my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    with all the requirements for the bike, I would rather go to a chicane track day and pretend to race there. If you want me to "race" in a class like this. I would if it was a run what you brung. Pass inspection get some practice time and race a bit. At a reasonable cost with minimal prep. With all the fees and bike prep, shit i might as well get a used race bike and just race.
    This should be an introduction to racing not season long racing so price it as if.
    I am sorry the MRA is having a hard time, but you ain't going to get out of this slump by over charging us to play for a day we dont have that kind of $$$. I am not paying out that much in bike prep and fee for a day of fun. I would be willing to pay $200 maybe $250 in total to go. I am not going to safety wire my street bike and i am not going to buy all that race required stuff, not for my street bike. But to pay a little more than track day fees to say I raced for a day and won a paper certificate, sure you can get me to go

hope that helps a little
    That's how I see it too
    Martin J. MRA# 73 - Motoforza Racing Team
    2012 MRA "Colorado class" champion
    Motoforza bodywork www.motoforzafairings.com
    TFOG Wheelsports
    Love&Polish

Thoughts from a first year racer that made the jump from (lots of) trackdays last year.

I reckon Grubbs almost nailed with his comment that this class could be run with Sportsman. Where I differ is that in my opinion this class should be Sportsman. I don’t know how the sportsman class came about, but suspect it was intended to encourage new, inexperienced, and slower riders to get involved. If that is the case, then it’s simply not working. The grids this year have been really light - at my guess, between 2 and 6 per weekend?

The Sportsman rules could transition to a new class with slightly relaxed tech rules. Ride what you’ve got (prepped to some degree). If you’re too fast, then you break out - it’s time for race plastics, new tires, a steering damper and case savers.

Maybe it could be run after endurance on a Saturday, rather than at prime-time on a Sunday. All the other races are done for the day, so committed racers could loan transponders to these guys - “adopt a sportsman” if you like. Sure it would score as the transponder owner, but does it matter? The race would be real, timed, and we could sort out the “peteremsley” is really “ShinySideUp” or “McVaaaaah” (hint, hint) afterwards if there was question over positions or times.

Price it like endurance ($50 or $75?), perhaps with the caveat that you can only run it X times during a season…if you are enjoying it and coming back, then step up to the meat grinder that is NovU and NovO J
    peter emsley - MRA #203

Meat Grinder aka MW endurance.
    I will see you on the back row my friend!
    Sweet! Yeah the back of that race is gonna be entertaining.

than sincere ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
    The Sportsman rules could transition to a new class with slightly relaxed tech rules. Ride what you’ve got (prepped to some degree). If you’re too fast, then you break out - it’s time for race plastics, new tires, a steering damper and case savers.
    I think that's a good idea Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
    “adopt a sportsman” if you like. Sure it would score as the transponder owner, but does it matter? The race would be real, timed, and we could sort out the “peteremsley” is really “ShinySideUp” or “McVaaaaah” (hint, hint)
    Screw that McVaaaaah guy, he's a jerk. I bought your bike, I win

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    My issue, the MRA's or both
    More the MRA's but it has seemd to alienate many of the 'old timers' so I have heard.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV