Thread: car insurance question

car insurance question

I am thinking of switching my car insurance to progressive. Both my condo and bike are through them now and so far so good however I didnt have to file a claim for either, knock on wood. Does anybody have any experience with progressive or other car insurance companies when it comes to service after the sale and filing claims. I have never had any accidents so I am not planning on getting into an accident however rather be safe than sorry especially considering the unstable job market now.

Re: car insurance question

only thing i had with them was my bike.. after a long search so far have found allstate to be the best.. good rates etc.. might wanna check em out

plus you get the check for no accidents
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

I worked in a body shop for 8 years before I moved to the insurance side. Sorry to say it, but Progressive and Allstate are two worst comlpanys to work with. They are cheap, they will put cheap parts on your car and the shops have a very hard time dealing with them. Smaller no name insurance co can be just as bad as they dont always have personnel in the state. Then they use independents and it can take longer. You really do get what you pay for. Geico is good, State Farm is good (they wont put aftermarket sheet metal on your car if that is something that bothers you) Nationwide or Allied is good and of corse I work for American Family and they are good too. Good luck!! (Oh and when I switched from Progressive to American Family it was cheaper)
    Whatever jack ass.

quick question,

when you switched to american family, was it cheaper because you work there or are their rates usually cheaper?

They can not give us discounts on premiums, its illegal. So yeah, it was just cheaper. Check around though, get a few different quotes and then decide what you wanna do.
    Whatever jack ass.

I am not an insider, but I have had nothing but awesome experiences with Progressive. Everytime I make a claim they are there instantly, have great over the phone customer care and have never replaced anything on my cars with cheap parts. I have made a few claims through them and when i take my car to the body shop and they say its going to cost more than what progressive said, progressive adjusts it with them quickly.

I have esurance for my bike, not sure why. But they dont actually sell moto insurance its underwritten through Atlas. So far cant say good or bad about them. Hope I never have to make a claim .

2003 Triumph Bonneville (Goodwood green with gold inlay)

2006 Fusion White Speed Triple (SOLD)

I have Travelers insurance. When I rolled my truck and new race trailer a few months ago I had only been with them 5 months. They were very good and paid out more then i thought they should.

mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Skinbabe View Post
    They can not give us discounts on premiums, its illegal. So yeah, it was just cheaper. Check around though, get a few different quotes and then decide what you wanna do.
    do they group policies for discounts? motorcycle, car, and soon to be home?

We had a car accident and were with Progressive - Absolutely no problems. One phone call and they took care of everything until we picked up the car good as new.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

i have never had 1 single problem with all state, and they completely redid my moms engine with top of the line parts not cheap parts as you say, they also come with roadside assistance which i have never had any issues with any shop using.

State farm likes to raise and lower your rates too much to deal with their BS IMO. The choice is really yours.

i have only had progressive for my bike and never had to do a claim or anything so dont know how they go when it comes to that.
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

Yes, they have multi-car discounts and stuff. Just look up an agent near you or PM me and I can give you a few.

About Prog and Allstate, Im only stating my experience. Maybe they got better? I think if you ask any body shop person who they think the worst is to deal with those will be the top two. Again, I have delt with them on a different level then their customers have so I have a difference experience. The only thing that should matter is that your happy with their service!
    Whatever jack ass.

I used to have all of my coverage through American Family and they always used to be the cheapest. I have had a few varied claims throughout the years with them and they have been OK at best. Oh and my agent really drove me batty at times. I actually just got off the phone with my lawyer and they are STILL playing games after I got hit by the drunk over a year ago.
    I have since switched to Geico for everything except renter's and they have been extremely friendly and helpful on the phone and online. Unfortunately I had the opportunity to test them with my bike policy almost immediately after I switched to them. They were fantastic with me! I got better service than I was expecting and encountered no issues whatsoever. Was it a fluke? perhaps. Am I going to continue coverage with them? Heck yes! They blew AmFam's rates out of the water for a LOT better coverage and they have treated me wrolds better thus far.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

I think if you ask any body shop person who they think the worst is to deal with those will be the top two.
    in our case it must be because allstate hounds them to get the best deal? i dunno.. like i said i have had no problems thus far with allstate but i did with farmers, state farm and a couple others.. again i cant bash prog cause i only had for bike and no accidents.

Jess... Im sorry you had a bad experience, that sucks!! Almost all the insurance co. have the same policies on aftermarket and used parts. I guess your experience with any company is going to depend on the person that your working with. If you get stuck with a jerk for an adjuster your going to have a bad experience. Sorry for that! I always do the best I can for people, I dont want anyone to be screwed. And as for Geico... your right. I think they are a great insurance company and I hardly EVER hear anything bad about them or the way their handle their claims. They have good rates and great customer service, I agree, you should stay with them.
    Whatever jack ass.

Jess... Im sorry you had a bad experience, that sucks!! Almost all the insurance co. have the same policies on aftermarket and used parts. I guess your experience with any company is going to depend on the person that your working with. If you get stuck with a jerk for an adjuster your going to have a bad experience. Sorry for that! I always do the best I can for people, I dont want anyone to be screwed. And as for Geico... your right. I think they are a great insurance company and I hardly EVER hear anything bad about them or the way their handle their claims. They have good rates and great customer service, I agree, you should stay with them.
    Yeah... most of my issues in the past have been with a particular agent that always snuck in snarky comments and was never right - but he was local and I just never did bother to switch. But when I got hit by the drunk last summer and spent too long in the hospital, the last thing I needed to worry about is my OWN insurance company raking me over the coals.
    My lawyer has told me about some issues he's had taking on AmFam in court and it looks like they are going to force us to do the same. I understand these are hard economic times, but they are playing some real juvenile games. Oh well! lol
    I think the crappiest part though was when I switched to Geico, AmFam charged me this insane fee for cancelling my bike policy with them. WTF??? I was planning on going back to AmFam if things with Geico didn't work out, but after that whole scene and the attitude I got when merely asking about it... no way. *shrugs*
    Don't get me wrong chica...for the most part I loved it when I was with them, but there have been a few particular incidents that the timing on really left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?