Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAVE THE MRA Lapping Day at HPR 7/20

SAVE THE MRA Lapping Day at HPR 7/20

All,

My Bosses on the HPR Board of Directors have approved a very special lapping day at HPR.

Next Monday, July 20th, there will be a motorcycles only Lapping Day at HPR. This is open to ALL riders, not just MRA Racers, and we will be running the full course. All of the profits from this day will be given to the MRA to help insure that the balance of the 2009 season can go on as scheduled. I will be donating my HPR salary for the day to the club as well.

If you're looking for track time and a way to help the MRA, now is the time!

Also, in order to keep costs down and get more money to the club, I am looking for volunteer corner workers for the day. If you can't afford to ride but still want to help, here's your chance! Please email me at mraracer157 [at] yahoo if you can help out! Lunch will be provided for all volunteers.

Click HERE to sign up and pay. See you there!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Re: SAVE THE MRA Lapping Day at HPR 7/20

Wish I could make it.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Kind of short notice but I'm going to try and make it. Monday is my Birthday so it would be a nice present for myself!

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

I've heard the open lapping days at HPR can be a little... umm... uncontrolled. Has this been addressed yet? Will there be a morning meeting to introduce the track to new riders? Sessions run to match riders to skill levels? Corner workers that know what's going on so we don't end up with bikes stopping in the middle of the track to check out a downed rider?

I'd love to help the MRA and enjoy a day @ HPR but after the horror stories I heard about the open lapping day last month I'm not sure.
    Jon

everyone should pay even if you can't show up. If you plan on doing even one track day later this season @HPR, then PAY FOR IT NOW. just make sure to email GECCO if you are not going to make it on 7/20 and he will make sure to get you credit for a different lapping day.

If you want to continue seeing motorcycle racing here in Colorado now and in the future then sign up.
    Last edited by GNGSXR; Thu Jul 16th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    riding competitively...
    I thought this was an open lapping day - aka a track day - aka not a race day - if I was going to the track for the first time (it seems you need these noobs to show), it wouldn't be to race...

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    I thought this was an open lapping day - aka a track day - aka not a race day - if I was going to the track for the first time (it seems you need these noobs to show), it wouldn't be to race...

It is an open lapping day.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by Player 2 View Post
    I've heard the open lapping days at HPR can be a little... umm... uncontrolled. Has this been addressed yet? Will there be a morning meeting to introduce the track to new riders? Sessions run to match riders to skill levels? Corner workers that know what's going on so we don't end up with bikes stopping in the middle of the track to check out a downed rider?

I'd love to help the MRA and enjoy a day @ HPR but after the horror stories I heard about the open lapping day last month I'm not sure.
    Jon Both open days I have been to were not bad in any way. If alot of street riders show up they will divide it into sessions.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    it is.
    ill edit my previous post so no one else misreads my retard post.
    2013 BMW S1000RR
    1973 Honda CB750 / GSXR
    1987 buick grand national
    '06 GSXR 750. Race Track. Everyday Commuter. Long distance tourer. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Jon Both open days I have been to were not bad in any way. If alot of street riders show up they will divide it into sessions.
    From what I heard there's no morning riders meeting

People stopping in the middle of a corner (3 people with kickstands down on the track)

I won't ride an open HPR day til I've heard that some action has been taken to make things safer.
    Jon

Didn't mean to be a dick everyone, but I know how intimidating track days are to people who've never been, and I think it seems imperative that this be presented as inviting as possible. I may be willing to flag on Monday...have to think. I'd ride but I'll get my fill of that on Sunday and 400cc won't be fun on that track.

If the point is to attract noobs, I think the format of open lapping needs some thought. You're going to have slow (relative terms) noobs not knowing the line and passing protocols mixed in with seasoned MRA racers. What may be a safe pass for you may freak out a noob six inches from their elbow. HPR is considerably more technical than old Second Creek or IMI, and a free-for-all session is a invitation to a crash fest. Just playing devil's advocate, but what about slow / med / fast groups? Opening the door to ALL riders means you could get some pretty inexperienced riders, just sayin'
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It's an open track day not a recruiting day, just a normal trackday with profits being directed to the MRA coffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    It's an open track day not a recruiting day, just a normal trackday with profits being directed to the MRA coffer.
    Still, issue of people stopping in the middle of the track is something that needs to be addressed. Figured the staff could give 30 minutes of effort and have a brief riders meeting to make sure everyone is on the same page, safety wise. I'm sure you would like the same, Dave
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Hate to be that guy but...

...back when I lived in FL the local track ALWAYS had a 3 session format. Beginner, Novice, Advanced/Racer. 20 mins apiece, track hot all day except 1 hr for lunch. Beginners or first timers to the track required to attend morning briefing (stopping on track being a topic of discussion). It worked well, everyone got plenty of time, incidents were nearly non-existent barring beginners running off. Also, passing protocol varied depending on group. I'm amazed this is run as a free for all...hope you guys never get sued.

And I got the impression that all road racing was currently a recruiting effort for the MRA? If not, you guys need to start voting...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    If the point is to attract noobs, I think the format of open lapping needs some thought. You're going to have slow (relative terms) noobs not knowing the line and passing protocols mixed in with seasoned MRA racers. What may be a safe pass for you may freak out a noob six inches from their elbow. HPR is considerably more technical than old Second Creek or IMI, and a free-for-all session is a invitation to a crash fest. Just playing devil's advocate, but what about slow / med / fast groups? Opening the door to ALL riders means you could get some pretty inexperienced riders, just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Still, issue of people stopping in the middle of the track is something that needs to be addressed. Figured the staff could give 30 minutes of effort and have a brief riders meeting to make sure everyone is on the same page, safety wise. I'm sure you would like the same, Dave

I personally think this an awesome effort. However, I do agree with Jon and Zach and Jeff.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Fri Jul 17th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I've done track days and lapping days in cars, and SCCA for years. I've also worked the lapping days for Go4IT. Believe me, breaking up sessions is NOT a major hassle. The Subaru guys love the format, slow guys are free to go their pace and the really fast guys get to run wide open without moving chicanes in their way. Most people appreciate the down time between sessions. It's win win. Why can't the same be done for bikes? If this is fundraising for the MRA, and for it's long term growth, you can't adopt a "take their money and let em fend for themselves" attitude. You have to give some to get some.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    I personally think this an awesome effort. However, I do agree with Jon and Zach and Jeff.

Get Chicane in there to "manage" the efforts. It's well run, and the safety factor goes up 10 fold. THAT will create your future racers in a safe and supportive environment. It also provides everyone involved with some level of confidence towards the management, not to mention those riding and passing next to us.

I love love love those track days, but safety for all should be a predominant concern for anyone who runs a track day. Good track days may spread thin, but BAD track days will spread fast.

I will take the day off for this when I know it's well run. I will support the MRA in any way possible. But I must admit, a free-for-all is a pretty scary proposition.
    I'm with Terri on this. Get Scott & Chicane to manage the open lapping day to insure safety and peace of mind.

Taken direct from HPR's policies

Drivers/riders who have completed any organized track day or track based driving school and have written documentation of such are encouraged to bring a copy of the documentation to the track with them.

Drivers/riders who have no previous track experience will be required to go through a short track orientation session with the track manager on duty before they will be allowed on the track.

Water cooled motorcycles must not use any type of glycol in the cooling system. Water and “Water Wetter” is acceptable.

Motorcycles must have rear view mirrors either removed or covered with tape. HPR recognized instructors are exempted from this requirement.

Motorcycle riders must wear full 1 piece or 2 piece leathers. 2 piece suits must zip all the way around. Boots that cover the ankle and gloves that cover the wrist are required.

From what I've been told this isn't happening. VERY simple steps to insure the safety of everyone yet it's not happening.....??????

Would love to hear from those in charge what's being done. What's it going to take? Another "incident"??
    Jon

Hey guys, I can say I have personally ridden almost every open trackday at HPR and never once have I seen people stopped on the track. Maybe it happened but I assure you it was an isolated incident.

Glen has been in charge of the MRA for years and is very familiar with setting up a sessioned format. Right now open lapping days are open, however if he sees a major difference in riding levels, he has before and will again set up sessions.

The morning meeting is basic on how to enter and exit the track correctly. Trust me guys, this is a day worth making it to. Glen is sending all profits to the MRA to help keep road racing in colorado. I dont think HPR would even be around if it wasn't for a major part on the MRA so its time to show support and come out and ride. If you have any safety issues that you want addressed, either contact Glen in his trailer or find myself and I would be happy to talk to any riders about correct track riding.

Its going to be a great day so grab your leathers and lets go ride!!!
    Casey D

Okay, you guys are freaking out about this track day. I have many track days under my belt but have never been to or seen an "open" format. Always been sessions separated by rider skill. I have seen it down to only 2 sessions as apposed to the normal 3 but that's a rare occasion.

I have the okay to go but I'm looking for a warm fuzzy feeling that this isn't going to be a free for all with riders stopping on the middle of the track etc. Safety is priority #1 for me.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

How the fuck did we ever survive Second Creek? Let alone IMI

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    How the fuck did we ever survive Second Creek? Let alone IMI
    I paid for it at IMI with a broken collarbone.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I'm just sayin' if peeps want an organized day go to a Chicane day cause that's why Scott does it, but leave the "Daredevels" a cheap track alternative.
    Almost everyone has at least done the PMP safety deal so they have a clue, if someone is new to the track "educate" them on track ettiquite and take them out for a few laps.
    If you would be willing to help maybe tell the people doing sign ups to direct noobs your direction after thier oreintation speel

Why don't the naysayers go out and at least observe an open lapping day. From what I have read the ones who are making noise are the ones who haven't even been out at the track for open lapping days.