Thread: $$ for IT fixit!!

$$ for IT fixit!!

So, the world knows that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and to prove it...

I recently added a N-wireless router to our qwest DSL to get the xbox, laptop, and iphones some more speed. This sounded really good in theory... all the devices can see it, but cant access it. Its also showing as unlocked...

So, I'm offering a little cash for someone who is smarter then I and can fix this for me in Greeley.
    Every hunter is someones prey!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: $$ for IT fixit!!

I wish I were closer to you, I would come over and sort it out. I'm sure you'll get a Northie though, who can help ya!

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Contact TurboGizzmo and see if he's available.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Most likely, your devices aren't Wireless-N compatible. Remember the 802.11B and G? B used to be slow so they came out with G, but your wireless card had to be compatible with the 802.11G, if not, you couldn't access it.

I had the same thinking back at my old place when I bought an Wireless-N router. My laptop could access it, but my roommates' couldn't and since htey were paying for part of the internet, I had to go back to G. Besides, the only real way to give your devices more speed is upgrade from DSL to cable (if its available in your area).

Think of it like this, water is flowing into a bucket at 1 gallon per second. The bucket does not hold any extra water and the outgoing hose is at the very bottom of the bucket (so whatever flows in just flows right out). You want the outflow to be faster, so you install a pipe that will allow 5 gallons per second to flow out. But, you still only have 1 gallon per second coming in with no reserve, so you haven't sped up the flow, just allowed for the future when the water comes in at 5 gallons per second (putting the N on a DSL lets you upgrade later to cable and really take advantage of the N)...at least that's my understanding. I find that G routers are very fast with cable.

AKA "Devaclis"

Backwards compatibility is built into all modern routers. To CONNECT at N speeds, you need to have N capable devices at all ends. You can still connect to the device with a B or G device. It will just only transmit at those speeds.

When you connect a device with a cable does it connect to the internet?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

That makes sense... The laptop is an older mac, the xbox is a little older, but the Iphones are only 6 months old. None of these can access it. ????? We have a new MC desktop, that I didn't check, I will do it when I'm done being a slave for the tax man today

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Backwards compatibility is built into all modern routers. To CONNECT at N speeds, you need to have N capable devices at all ends. You can still connect to the device with a B or G device. It will just only transmit at those speeds.

No... its will only connect with the DSL wireless Router that I have to have... Is that the issue?????

AKA "Devaclis"

If that is the case, the your new router is not getting DHCP information from the DSL
    modem.

Turn off the DSL and the new router.

Turn the DSL on and let it come all the way up.

Turn the ROUTER on and let it come all the way up.

Plug a computer into the router and see if it connects to the internet.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

If you cant figure it out with the advice here shoot me a PM and I can try to make some time to swing by and check it out.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

PM sent

that's what I thought when I bought mine, but ensuring it would also be backwards compatible wasn't enough as I couldn't get it to connect to their laptops for the life of me. even when using mac address filtering and no network password. I think there may be a hidden way to go about getting it to work.

AKA "Devaclis"

There are 2 problems to think about when troubleshooting wireless routers: (this is assuming you have ALL wireless security disabled. Make it as simple as possible)

1. Is the router getting good IP info from the internet source? (Cable modem/DLS modem)

2. Are the wireless devices getting good IP information from the Router?

Devices CAN connect to a wireless router and still not be allowed to connect to the rest of the WAN (the internet in this case) Connection does not guarantee access.

Look at the IP address of the devices that are connecting. They should be in the 192.168.x.x range. Also, are all of your devices setup with DHCP on the wireless connection? No hard coded IP information?

Gray bird, I'm in thornton but happy to help. If you don't get it fixed, let me know and i'll drive up there and take a look see.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Just to add to this, this is true unless you have changed the settings in the access point to allow N connections only (which gives better performance over mixed modes)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Leah, I might just take you up on that!! I already sent turbo a PM. I will let you know. Thanks!!!

did the mac filter get turned on?, have you tried resetting the router again?

i live about 30 minutes south of you, and i will be the 3rd to offer help to ride up there and help fix it
    2006 CBR 600rr Orange/Black

My "guess" here will be that both boxes are giving out the same DHCP IP range.....just my guess....

Turbo is going to stop by tonight and fix it. Thanks for all the help! You guys are awsome!

what was wrong?

Two routers the stock qwest one and the new N router fighting I assume...I didnt spend too much time troubleshooting the current setup, just reset the new router, let the qwest router continue to control DHCP, disable qwest router wireless, enable N wireless on new router, secured it, and then tested all his machines.

cool beans

Turbo... You Da Man!!!!!

glad to hear you got it taken care of.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by Graybird View Post
    Turbo... You Da Man!!!!!
    Steven

Nice to meet you, (and sit on your bike ) glad we got it worked out, let me know if you need anymore help!

Gizzzzzzzz