Thread: A little trailer help would you...?

A little trailer help would you...?

Hey, I've got the specifics of my trailering question listed right here, but basically I need to trailer three bikes w/ one vehicle because my buddies and I live in Durango and will be traveling to either the frontrange and/or Albuq......is it at all possible to get three race bikes on a three rail trailer? if so how? or if not, is it possible to get three race bikes on a open 5X8? (SV, R6, 929)

Loading one backwards might work. On a 5X8 flatbed you might be able to load them three in a row, front to back instead od side by side the width of the trailer.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Re: A little trailer help would you...?

You know, you might ( and I say MIGHT) put the outside bikes on backwards, and the middle bike facing forward. That may work, but it would be CLOSE, real close.

Why not just go over there and see if you can get your bike on with his bike in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Polar X";p="183171
    You know, you might ( and I say MIGHT) put the outside bikes on backwards, and the middle bike facing forward. That may work, but it would be CLOSE, real close.

Why not just go over there and see if you can get your bike on with his bike in the middle?
    I agree with the idea, though I would put the outside bikes on first, facing forwards, then put the lightest bike in the middle facing backwards. The main reason being that bikes are naturally front heavy and if you load two bikes backwards you will have the majority of your load weight behind the axle of the trailer and that's not a good thing.

If you do it this way they should fit, I've seen it done. Just be sure the trailer is rated to handle the weight and that the tires are full (tires that are low on pressure or overloaded could overheat and may fail....tires that are low on pressure AND overloaded WILL fail)
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Good point, had not thought about the wt. issue.

Will bikes fit sideways on a 4X8 trailer? I could go measure the bikes, but their at my buddies garage, and I'm home at the computer, just got off work, and drinking, so..................

Probably not if it's truly a 4x8. The wheelbase of the bikes is likely between 55 and 60 inches
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

im not sure how you would tie down a bike sideways to withstand accel/braking... and ANY sudden braking you probably will have tbe bikes flying through the rear window.

lel
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

good point Lel, hadn't thought of that...but someone said they'd seen it done so maybe its possible somehow? Spyder seems to think that I might be able to get three facing forward on a three-rail, so I'm going to try to drag my lazy butt out to try tomorrow in between work and the other "important" stuff.......

I've also heard of people having bikes on backwards and destroying their upper fairing from the wind ripping off the windsheild. Not sure if it's true or not, but I could see it happening.

Just for reference, I have a 4x8 and have had two race bikes on it side by side and they just fit.
    I can get three big dirt bikes on it with the middle sitting backwards, but they are right next to each other touching and rubbing. Very cozy!