Thread: The baseball fans I'm sure know...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

The baseball fans I'm sure know...

... but if you don't quite follow it, or really even sports in general, this is probably worth the 5 minute viewing.

Mark Buehrle from the Chicago White Sox threw a Perfect Game today, and it is only the 18th one in history.

It's different from a No Hitter, which you hear about from time to time, and is rare in its own right. In a No Hitter though, people can still get on base... a hit batsmen... error by one of the fielders, a walk obviously....

When a pitcher throws a Perfect Game though, every single batter is retired, not a single man even gets to 1st base. The first out of the 9th inning (the final inning natch), is really quite unbelievable under the circumstances.

Anyway, check it out... Like I said, it's about a 5 min. vid and it's all 27 outs. Listen to 'em all if you can, and soak it in, and then try and imagine what it must have been like, to have been there.

Only 17 other times in the history of the sport, has this ever happened.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: The baseball fans I'm sure know...

I almost forgot to mention!... This game also had a Grand Slam in it too. First perfect game to ever have one of those, in it. Good stuff.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

27 up, 27 down!

congrats to big burly! that bastard deserves it!

yawn

Bueller should change his avatar to this

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Barn since I know you love hockey, watch this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ&feature=fvw

I saw this morning they were talking about the perfect game and the Rays were the best offensive team ever to fall victim. Essentially this was the toughest perfect game to achieve. But it's impressive any way you look at it. Obviously the pitcher gets the credit, but it's a team effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Barn since I know you love hockey, watch this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-25s4uwFQ&feature=fvw
    I wish I could, but they block youtube here at work.

And I wouldn't exactly say that I love hockey; I'm really not that much of a fan, to be honest. I've watched some DU games in person and their National Championship games on TV, and of course I like to see them do well. Colorado College, also.

Just to be clear, it's that Avalanche that I don't care for.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Squisha View Post
    I saw this morning they were talking about the perfect game and the Rays were the best offensive team ever to fall victim. Essentially this was the toughest perfect game to achieve. But it's impressive any way you look at it. Obviously the pitcher gets the credit, but it's a team effort.
    Oh yeah... You absolutely have to have air-tight defense to get any sort of No Hitter, a Perfect Game not withstanding. There were a couple really nice putouts by the 3rd basemen in this game, and obviously that 25th out, was incredible.

I was reading up more on Mark Buehrle's history, and I vaguely remember hearing about this in 2007, but he had nearly done this before! He threw a No-No against the Texas Rangers, and the only guy to reach base was Sammy Sosa on a walk.

Buehrle summarily picked Sosa off base at first, getting the out. So even though it was a just a No Hitter, rather than a Perfect Game, he still faced the minimum 27 batters, and got the putout for the lone man he walked.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

What you guys really need to know, is that it absolutely is a team effort. Defensive perfection, along with pitching perfection. And if you missed it, that catch to lead off the 9th was phenominal. Saved the game and the perfecto.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I don't ride like a tool, tools ride like me! foo...

Whipped that crowd into a froth, too!