Thread: Coolant change

Coolant change

Getting ready for my first track day and need to change the coolant out. What are the proper steps to do it?

Re: Coolant change

Keep in mind that I am an amatuer and the below information is a general idea of what needs to be done. The pros may have additional steps that I have missed.

Remove radiator cap to allow air to enter the system from the top. Remove drain screw and drain coolant. This will still leave some coolant in the system. Remove the overflow hose which will allow an additional amount to drain out. Put it all back together, fill with distilled water (cleaner than tap), run the engine for a few minutes with the radiator cap off, drain again, repeat until no trace of coolant shows up in the water. May take a few times. After its all gone, its time for the final fill. Depending on track day, you can add water wetter to the distilled water which allows it to cool better without causing traction loss if it gets on the track. Fill the radiator and overflow. Run the engine again for a few minutes with the cap off and kind of squeeze the coolant hoses as well to get any trapped air out. Shut the engine off, put the radiator cap back on. Start the engine, make sure you dont overheat. Fill the overflow if necessary. That should do it.

When you are running the engine while flushing it, be sure to get it up to 190 degrees or so. That's the only way to get all of the coolant out of the system.

Not sure about your R6, but I know my bike needs to be on the side stand when refilling to ensure the most amount of air gets forced out of the system. Basically, just make sure your filler cap is the highest point in the system.
    '79 455 Formula Firebird
    '01 aprilia mille RSV
    ~Tyler

If you want to come over to my place I can help you with it. Just let me know.

Thankx for all the help everyone, i'll let u know how it goes.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Make sure you flush it with water 3-4 times to get all the coolant out. When all the green is gone you're good to go. Just drain it from the water pump bolt on the cover. Then distilled water and some water wetter and your track ready! Have fun
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz