Thread: Race Paint

Race Paint

I am setting up a spare fiberglass body for my 998 and being the El Cheapo that I am, I am not going to pay for a nice and fancy paint job. I am just going to rattle can it or just leave it as it comes. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good rattle can paint that will hold up better than the others? Krylon would be my choice but I am open to suggestions. Has anyone ever tried Dupli-Color? Does anyone want to paint if for me for free? Just kidding!

Ride Safe.
    Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Race Paint

Marc,

I have some bits that were damaged in a parking lot drop off of my 748 if you want them, I'll sell them cheap. Prepainted from the factory, I have a upper, left side and a tailsection. You would need a right side and seats, but these should be easy to find on EBay

Let me know

Scott

Removed and PM'd

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Marc,

All fo the damage is superficial, paint, but the bike was only a few weeks old when someone hit it while it was parked in a parking lot. The hit was from behind and it pushed it off of it's side stand. I wanted it to look pretty, so it ended up costing about 1500 to get all the new bits. I figure if I got a 200 out of the older parts it would be worth not storing them, especially if I knew they were going to get used. It is, after all, pretty red itallian paint.....

S

If you want something durable find an auto paint supply store. You can pick exactly the color you want in laquer (99.5% of rattle can stuff is enamel) and they can load it into spray cans for you. It's more than regular paint, but worth it. Use a VERY good primer and then clear laquer over it and it will be pretty tough.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

HMMM? Lacquer. I did not even think of that. We used to paint a lot of cars with lacquer back in the good old days. The only problem was that it was very brittle and cracked easy. I assume is has been improved over the years. I usually use Acrylic Enamel for good paint jobs but will keep this in mind. All these good suggestions. Are you guys trying to make me do a decent paint job on this?

Thanks.
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

Krylon has some paint that is made for plastic. Used it for my front fairings after I got run over a last year. It seems to hold up decent.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

If you want it to be bullet proof you can ask for "Imron" paint, super tough stuff, it's the type they use on Caterpillar equipment!
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Board Newbie
    Definately put Laquor over whatever you do. The pain that comes in rattle cans has flex agents in it is what ive heard. I put clear laquor over my paint job and it looks great so far.

If you still need somebody to paint or help you paint your panels....
    Drop me a email....
    James
    jt_42@yahoo.com

I have some pictures if you want to see them.