Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Night Riding

Re: Night Riding

Critters along mountain roads are always something to look out for. I had an up close, near miss with a full grown bull moose near the top of Cameron Pass. The loud pipes I was using on one of my CBX's may have saved me from a serious accident. When I was mid way through the bend, I saw the moose was already sliding to a stop on one side of the road.

Good lights and focused attention are definitely needed to spot problems at night.

I found a little bit of a berm and took this pic of the moose as he continued on his way.........

Night riding is just... different. It's not the pace of a day ride, but it doesn't always mean slow. It's more a social ride than anything. Not everyone's cup of tea.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Your opinion, shared by some but not really anyone in this thread. By all means don't bother coming on any of the rides. Wildlife is a constant hazard, risk management, as with all other facets of motorcycling.
    As I stated before, a night ride (moon or no moon) on a dirt bike, is one of the most intense rushes you can have, and fun doesn't even start to describe it. You just need to get your mind right, and don't be day(night) dreaming
    Totally agree. Had plenty of night rides while working for a motorized trail crew on dirt scooters, and every ride was great. Anyway, you guys sound like a tight knit group, and it would be my pleasure to stay away and not disrupt any of the chi. Who knew motorcycling could be so dangerous?
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Ok...so finally got the Interwebz at the new place.

Here's a few of the pix I tried to take while stopped at the parking lot on Trail Ridge...

Lovely night for a moonlight walk...

Bike parking by moonlight...

Scratches, er Zed by moonlight;-)
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Just not my thing- Recreational night riding
    Wow, the first reasonable and relevant post from you.
    Sorry, but I don't see why you're bagging on night riding so much when 1) you didn't go on the ride on the 5th and 2) you're posting after the fact and not even paying attention to the comments of how fun/cool/exciting it was to actually ride at night.

Fwiw, there was one elk that went across ahead of us, in front of one of the few cars we followed into Estes. I've had more (ok, deer not elk) cross my path in the foothills around Ft. Collins. If you ride in the mountains in CO you had better expect wildlife besides two-wheeled speeding squids, even in the daytime.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com