Thread: dirt virgin

dirt virgin

Let me start by saying, it makes me jealous when I'm in the hills and a dirt bike pulls off the street and boogies up a single track. Then it kills me when hours later I see the same dirt bike pull back onto the street. Where I went around he went up and over! Ok maybe not that dramatic but you get the point.

I have the opportunity to go out for a weekend with a friend on his yz450f's and I have been tasked with putting together the ride plan. I don't want to ride the same rampart style trails where you have to criss cross motorcycles trails every minute. I would like to set up a ride that takes us one day out, spend the night and one day back. Going over a pass would be perfect but is this possible with his stock tank size (need fuel right by single track), and his unlicensed bike? I know we won't be pulling off the dirt and riding the twisties but is there a place where we can keep seeing new scenery or is this just a pipe dream?

Any info would be groovy!

Last edited by noskills; Thu Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: dirt virgin

Are you looking for single track or forest service roads?

I am doing a solo camping trip very soon that is about 50% pavement and 50% forest service roads. There is opportunity for singe track too.

Switzerland Trail above Boulder has a LOT to offer, is close, and has camping too

For fuel, just strap a 2 gallon can to the bike and then drop it off at camp before you go ride.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

AKA "Devaclis"

Oh, are you looking to camp, RV, or stay at a hotel?

Bueller sure knows a lot about this and so do Kim and Dean
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Due to the bike type paved roads aren't an option.

Strictly bike on dirt no RV or tent. I guess we can drop a can of gas off somewhere around a mid point and hope it is there when we need it. I was looking for something more in the lines of packing the minimal supplies on the bikes. Drop off the bikes, ride until dark or dead, camp out and ride back to truck. One way out and one way back over a pass or something if possible. I do understand our major hurdles, bar a breakdown, will be gas along the ride and not being able to ride on county/paved roads. Maybe I'm wrong, can we ride on a county road with a bike that doesn't have a street license?

Now that I write it out it sounds more like a challenge than anything.

Maybe there are dirt roads that go from town to town so gas wouldn't be a problem.

Hell I don't know, hence the word VIRGIN in the title. Are there maps avalable that show where off road vehicles without licenses can go?
    Last edited by noskills; Thu Aug 13th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

AKA "Devaclis"

No you have to have a licensed bike to ride on those roads. Even Rampart Range road.

Wow. So I can ride rampart as long as I don't hit the graded dirt road. Good to know! Hand me a ticket cause I'm guilty.

So it sounds like I'm limited to singletrack and all fire roads are off limits?

AKA "Devaclis"

That is a good question. I really don't know.

Check out this map:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/m...ap/index.shtml

It is all zoomable and has a legend for paved, dirt, single track, stuf like that.

It can be found by clicking the map here:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/maps/colorad...dex-map.shtml#