Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How does Grand Prixx stay in buisness!!!

How does Grand Prixx stay in buisness!!!

Grand Prixx must rely on the suckers to stay in buisness, or do well with their accessory sales, But they definatley are not in the buisness of moving bikes. When I was looking to buy my bike last summer, the guy who was helping me find the right bike did a great job. He had me sold on the bike I wanted and then the dealing began. I had a few quotes on the bike from other dealers and Fay Myer's had the best offer on the table. Since they were the ones who helped me find the bike of choice, I offered them the opportunity to match there competitors price; not beat it but to just match it. Some guy in a back room told the floor sales rep they would not match it and would wait for someone who would come in and pay full price. I do not understand this mentallity as I was going to buy a bike that day either from them or from Fay Myers. They were not even close on price so I walked away. I now have a friend who is buying a bike. He lives right next to Grand Prixx so I suggested he go in and check out what is out there. I told him it would be a good place to look at bikes, but good luck getting a fair price out of them. The floor sales rep would only give him a ball park figure on the bike, which was basically retail. We could have pulled that up on line. He stated that when he is ready to buy a bike, they will put a more concrete number together for him. Needless to say he did not end up going back and will be picking up his new bike tonight from Fay Myers. What is these guys deal? If you can not even match your closest competitor price, how do you expect to stay in business? I still use the store to get supplies for oil change, because they are right out my back door, but I am never taking another person in there to buy a bike. I know there are people on here that work at Grand Prixx and you sponsor the Boston Bike Nights, but you may want you re-evaluate your business strategy.
    Last edited by Riverdog; Tue Aug 18th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.

Re: How does Grand Prixx stay in buisness!!!

I have not been to happy with there way of doing business either. Met one guy who was nice and his desk was near the helmet rack.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I saw Bill the owner of Grand Prix at the last bike night. Why not walk up and talk to him?
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    I have not been to happy with there way of doing business either. Met one guy who was nice and his desk was near the helmet rack.
    I think they are nice enough guys, especially the floor sales reps. I just don't get there thought on moving bikes to motivated buyers. Seems absurd to send them out the door to a competitor. Like I said they eaither are capitalizing on suckers who don't shop around or they are making some profit from accessory sales. To bad they are so close.

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    I saw Bill the owner of Grand Prix at the last bike night. Why not walk up and talk to him?
    I do not personally know Bill, but I think I know who your are speaking of. If he is the owner I have to assume, he is aware of their buisness practices. And if he is not then he may want to become a more hands on owner. Like I said nice group of guys, as a matter of fact they were a more friendly group then the people at Fay Myers, but I consider a bike a large purchase and look to get a fair price and not quoted retail as a final offer. I would rather deal with a jerk and get a good price then a nice guy who tries to take me for a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kawasakirob View Post
    Are you still complaining about the free brake pads that you won taking a month to come in? Chris apologized and explained the reason to you if you recall http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33278
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    I do not personally know Bill, but I think I know who your are speaking of. If he is the owner I have to assume, he is aware of their buisness practices. And if he is not then he may want to become a more hands on owner. Like I said nice group of guys, as a matter of fact they were a more friendly group then the people at Fay Myers, but I consider a bike a large purchase and look to get a fair price and not quoted retail as a final offer. I would rather deal with a jerk and get a good price then a nice guy who tries to take me for a ride.
    Come to Bike Night tomorrow evening and I will introduce you to Bill and you can discuss this with him.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

bike night is too far away from me or i might go.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    bike night is too far away from me or i might go.
    The bathroom is too far away for you, Doug.

As far as GPM goes, Chris, the parts manager, has done a very good job of currying favor within the CSC as most of us already have bikes and are more apt to purchase parts/accessories than a new bike. Between Jim, DK, & Chris, I'll never need to go anywhere else to buy parts.

However, while the guys were nice, when Matty wanted to buy his ZX-6R from GPM they also refused to match another dealer's price (if I recall correctly) and he ended up buying his new Ninja from a competing dealer. I think that if the sales manager took Chris' approach to moving inventory that other dealers would have a tough time competing
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    The bathroom is too far away for you, Doug.
    I know. Can you come change my depends?

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Hmm... Interesting thread. I've never done business with G.P, but I have a general "like" for them, due to Bike Night, etc...

I've always been a big fan though, of the adage that business is business. Explanations and apologies need not apply from their behalf, just as patronage need not occur, from ours. That being said though, that's odd that they have such a staunch "policy" on price matching. I'll never step into Coyote again, after the whole mark-UP game they pulled on me, but that's in a different league than unwillingness to consider a price-match.

Either way, to quote the late-great Bobby Brown, that's their prerogative. (He is dead, right?)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    I know. Can you come change my depends?
    You're such a crappy friend...

By the way, in about two or three months I'm gonna wanna pick your brain on TV's...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Barn-

Bobby Brown is still alive...You might be thinking of James Brown???
    2011 Ducati 848 Evo "Bautista"
    2002 Honda RC-51 "Big Boi"

"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Are you still complaining about the free brake pads that you won taking a month to come in? Chris apologized and explained the reason to you if you recall http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=33278
    Nice assumption there. I was not recalling that particular instance, but yeah, that is one of a few. On the other hand, it was cool to see a bike shop carrying Dreggs longboards.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Airreed View Post
    Barn-

Bobby Brown is still alive...You might be thinking of James Brown???
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Wow, 3 lost sales in this thread alone. That's pretty sad. They obviously make money by selling bikes to those who just don't know any better, or are too lazy to research. I have no experience with them, but just because of the stories, I'll steer clear.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    However, while the guys were nice, when Matty wanted to buy his ZX-6R from GPM they also refused to match another dealer's price (if I recall correctly) and he ended up buying his new Ninja from a competing dealer. I think that if the sales manager took Chris' approach to moving inventory that other dealers would have a tough time competing

ya... i really wanted to purchase my new bike from GPM but they didn't want to deal. Even after Chris, the parts manager, talked to the sales manager. Oh well.

They are all great guys over there. The Salesman was super cool as well. If the sales manager would have dealed with me a lil more. i would have bought it right there and then. I had cash in hand. like i said, oh well.

There will always be someone who doesn't know how to barder and will pay full price.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Grand Prix is a good shop, I think the "receive MSRP for your trade in" is hurting them though. They might not be in a position to price match since I think thier the only one in town offering full MSRP for your trade in?
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    Grand Prix is a good shop, I think the "receive MSRP for your trade in" is hurting them though. They might not be in a position to price match since I think thier the only one in town offering full MSRP for your trade in?

Yes that could be it, and it sounds like a really good deal too. But for the people that are not trading a bike in. It sounds like they should have some room to play with on the price.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

AKA "Devaclis"

Every business is IN business to make money.

Some value that above everything else.

If they were not successful at making money they would not be IN business.

Building relationships and trust from your customers is not the main concern for a lot of businesses. Just because you will not pay the asking price, does not mean no one else will. There are enough people out there who will pay what they are asking to keep them in the business of selling motorcycles. If you think they care, REALLY care, that you do not like them, ou are sorely mistaken. You are not a sale who got away, you are a customer they did not want because it would have cost them money to do business with you.

It sucks, but that is business.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

You have an excellent point Dana..BUT
    When I went in to Grand Prix, I didn't quite care for the way I was dealt with either from the bike sales staff. (Accessories is another story entirely!)
    I eventually bought by bike from Fay Myers. I didn't really care for my salesman there, but he at least treated me fairly. Due to this, I take my bike there for repairs/work. Unfortunately THAT department knows me VERY well and they treat me great! Anyway, while FM may not have made tons of money off me in the sale of the bike itself, but they sure as hell make a lot more money off of me in the service dept than GP ever will! I'll also remember them in future bike sales.
    Just my $0.02
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

AKA "Devaclis"

How much do you think the profit on a new bike sale?

Not as much, percentage wise, as they make on a tire change, or valve job, or 600 mile service. I would rather have your business in the service department than in the dealership too
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    How much do you think the profit on a new bike sale?

Not as much, percentage wise, as they make on a tire change, or valve job, or 600 mile service. I would rather have your business in the service department than in the dealership too
    My point exactly...and because FM didn't alienate me from before I bought the bike, their shop is where I go!
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Gold Member Yearly Supporter

Its sad that the sales dept is so bad. I wanted to trade my bike in on another used bike and the guy wouldn't give me shit for my trade-in.

However i had to take my bike in to get the sprockets changed and a new chain. Well the tech to 2 to many links out and bottomed out my axle. When i pointed it out, they put a new chain on; on there dime. And installed new rear brake free of labor charges.

So for the Sales.
    For the Service
    2015 R1200GS
    03 & 11 XR-50 pit bike
    07 & 08 DRZ 400SM
    06 FJR 1300
    70 SL 350
    75 MT 250