Thread: Battery Issues

Battery Issues

So after riding from Northglenn to Boulder the other day, I turned off my bike for a quick stop (not more than 5 minutes). When I went to start it back up, the battery was COMPLETELY dead. End up push starting it and rode home.

Once I got back to Northglenn I checked the voltage of the battery, it was 12.30V. Started the bike up and revved it to 5k rpms where within-specs it should be charging at 14-15V, it was at 13.3V.

This battery is 1.5 years old, bought from COPowersports in Boulder. Back when I bought it, I explained to them that I was having the same problems (found the service order/invoice and it says "Unit is only charging at approx. 13.5 volts at 5,000 rpm" on the notes section. They inspected my entire charging system, supposedly, and told me I needed a new battery.

Now that I am getting the exact same issues and feeling that 1.5 years for a battery is very young, I drove into Boulder yesterday to speak with them about it. After the 30 minute ride into Boulder again, it was only at 12.35V. They tested the battery and gave me a reading of 50% something, and 70% something else. Then proceeded to tell me that a motorcycle does not charge a battery, it merely maintains the batteries voltage (which, last time I checked IS charging).

So I got home after being very pissed off by Aaron, once again, and threw the battery on the trickle charger. Let it charge overnight to take it off this morning and find the battery voltage at 13.21V. As I held the voltmeter there, I could see the battery dropping .01V every second. Until now, 10 minutes later, the voltage is at 12.74V.

I inspected the voltage regulator and stator, and the stator is within spec for the resistance (.4ohms and it needs to be between .32-.48 ohms). The VR connector that has 4 wires in it has 1 wire that the terminal got hot and melted through the plastic (anybody have any idea where I can pick up a new connector without getting a new wire harness?).

So I am tempted to think that the VR is not working properly which is why the battery charges at 13.3V instead of 14V+ at anything over 5000 rpms. But at the same time, I can't decide if the battery is toast because it is acting very funny and isn't always doing the same thing. (Like 2 days ago, I put it on the trickle charger for 8 hours, at the end of it, the battery was at 12.38V, not higher than 12.6V like expected).

Thoughts? Opinions? I really don't want to spend money to fix either thing, but this bike is really starting to frustrate the shit out of me. I'm also half tempted to take the bike to the COPowersports at 104th and 287 to see what they think. Might get better service out of them, or at least a new battery free of charge because Boulder COPow is retarded...

Re: Battery Issues

It sounds to me like your regulator is toast and it killed the battery in the process. You probably need to replace both.

You can get a new regulator from Bike Bandit. If you're an AMA member it's 10% off.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...f-1994/o/m8203
    Last edited by Jim_Vess; Wed Aug 19th, 2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added link
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Garrett,

I have a BUNCH of new OEM style electrical connectors in my shop. I can get you a new 4 pin connector. You may want to recheck your system after you replace the connector and verify all of your connections are good.

Chris

Jim, thanks for the link, its cheaper to actually go through eBay to get an OEM VR, though I'm still not entirely sold on the idea that its the VR causing the problems. Because once I got the new battery, the bike started charging at 14.6V, which is in the range its supposed to. And all of today, the battery would hold a 12.7V charge, and after a non-quick (20-30 minute) ride, it was still above 12.6V.

Chris, are they the exact connector needed for the VR on the Seca2? How much do you want for 1 or 2? And it better be more than you bought them for, because I went to Carquest, Checker Auto and the NAPA warehouse and none of them could produce anything even close to it!

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Chris, are they the exact connector needed for the VR on the Seca2? How much do you want for 1 or 2? And it better be more than you bought them for, because I went to Carquest, Checker Auto and the NAPA warehouse and none of them could produce anything even close to it!
    I may be able to get you an exact connector or just give you a complete connector (male/female), so that its sure to fit.

Can you post up a pic of the connector and I'll see if I have a match. It would be less work to install, since you would only need one side.

If I can't get a new connector, then I may just do a temp fix and electrical tape over it. Seems like it would at least do a little bit to help the situation out temporarily.

The closest that I have to that connector is this one...............

You would need to replace both sides. Also, you may be able to just replace the metal spade connection. I believe it should be a universal part.

^^ Would those work well for, say, integrated tail lights with 4 leads coming off each side?

Been looking for something more convenient/clean than my current bus bar setup.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Hmm, Chris I can't really replace the connector on the VR side, as the terminals are sticking straight out of the VR and into the connector. If nothing else, I may just use some insulated spade connectors I already have and remove the white sheathing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    ^^ Would those work well for, say, integrated tail lights with 4 leads coming off each side?

Been looking for something more convenient/clean than my current bus bar setup.
    I have a couple spare mini 4 pin connectors. If you want them, PM me your address and I'll send them to you with some extra spades.

Quote Originally Posted by XJ600s View Post
    Hmm, Chris I can't really replace the connector on the VR side, as the terminals are sticking straight out of the VR and into the connector. If nothing else, I may just use some insulated spade connectors I already have and remove the white sheathing.
    Whoops.

I should have went out and looked at my XJ.

If you still want to try to replace the female spade connector itself (the inner metal part). I can give you some of those and you can compare them to yours to see if they will fit. A new spade connector will give you a clean/tight fit.