Thread: Dealership expectations: Punkin's response to R1ch (was GP)

Dealership expectations: Punkin's response to R1ch (was GP)

A word from the “inside” on service, value, and differentiation:

Please bear with me, as I attempt to address many of the extremely valid comments that have been posted. I copied, pasted, and printed over three pages of comments, so in order to address them will require a lot of page space as well. (The forum didn't like my quoting style, so hopefully you can follow along)

To be fair, for those of you who don’t know, I am the GM at Twin Peaks—my family purchased the store in January. This isn’t intended to be an advertisement, but since I’ve now been on, “both sides,” I want to give you my feelings. My biggest concern is that many good things may be going on at many dealerships (including ours) but the word isn't getting out!

To answer the underlying question, “What makes you different?” Aside from below, please walk into Sun, Fay, etc. and ask to speak to the owner—for a problem, a sales question, a parts question, a service question, to help you unload a bike,because the coke machine stole 50 cents--whatever. Then come do that at our store. We’re not faceless names. You will see myself and Stan on the sales floor every Saturday, and most days in between. I personally deliver units. I introduce myself or Stan to (goal is EVERY) almost every customer who makes a new or used unit purchase. Anyone who wants it can have the direct extension to my office, or Stan’s office.

R1CH: You posted a lot of great comments, and I’d like to address many of them:

>The motorcycle dealership would give me a coupon for a free/reduced >price oil change/changes or first service. This would better introduce me >to the service dept and let me get a feel for what they do and feel >special.

Great idea, and we’ll look into that. Quite frankly, it hadn’t crossed my mind, but I see the value!

>The sales person actually calls me when a bike I was interested in >actually came in. (they claim to do this but even Co Powersports did not >do this for my R1 and I had to call Denver to find out it was in and leave >a credit card dep to hold one)

I feel we do a pretty good job of this. Anytime we are looking at a trade, one of the first things we do is round up the salesmen and ask if anyone has someone, “on the stick,” for a similar unit. In reality, this kind of followup IS what makes you feel special, because the salesman bothered to remember, and he cared enough to make the call.

>Deliver the bike to my house if I did not want to drive it away.

We deliver within about 10 miles at no charge. I’ve personally delivered units to Brighton, Allenspark!, and picked up a unit for service from Estes Park and Cheyenne (wrecked unit). Obviously there are costs associated with having a vehicle, driver, fuel, trailer, etc., so pickup and delivery is negotiated by location—but it’s certainly available.

>Have all my paperwork ready so I just have to sign and not waste time >if I call ahead to purchase a bike.

This is still in progress. We are working on a “no-bs” internet purchase strategy that would put you directly into the business office to sign paperwork, after agreements have been made, credit has been processed, etc.—all over the internet. The goal would be multi-faceted: you get fast in and out/low stress. You save money because our personnel costs would be lower. It’s a great concept, I don’t know if we’ll be able to make an “official” program happen this year, but it’s definitely on the hook.

>Actually call me the day special order parts come in.

Whew! One of my BIGGEST frustrations! When we purchased this store, there were literally special orders from October sitting around. In general, people were being contacted once, the customer and employee would lose track, and there was no followup. Because of our receiving schedule, we now have a system in place not for the same day, but that each customer is called the next day after a special order comes in. The customer is then called each Tuesday for 3 weeks, and if the part is not picked up, it’s returned to the vendor. We also offer the ability to ship special orders directly to you the day after we receive them. (Who wants to drive from Denver to Longmont for a baseball cap, or a carb jet?)_

>Give me priority service dept service by putting me ahead of other >people who had not purchased their bike from the dealership.

Our platinum card (maint. Agreement) customers receive this. However, with the exception of offbrand bikes (bikes we don’t sell), we DO offer “In by 10, out by 6, or it’s free”. No joke! We haven’t heavily advertised this program, but will as the season rolls along. Obviously, this applies to routine oil changes and tires, but isn’t that the kind of stuff it’s frustrating to wait 3 or 4 days for? Now, if we are performing an oil change, and notice other service issues, that could put us further out due to parts availability, but you always have the option of not performing other recommended services.

>Give 15 min priority service to any customer needing a tire changed >instead of having to drop the bike/wheel off.

Done. Possibly not in 15 minutes pending how much is in front of you, but you are more than welcome to wait while we mount your tires. Our service consultants will do their best to give you a REALISTIC wait time. Oh, and by the way, wheels off the bike, labor is <call us> a great price (not as other posted in previous threads)!

>Have enough people staffed to answer phones in less than 3 mins for >parts, service, and sales.

We just added 4 phones, and changed phone call routing. Unfortunately we do still have the automated attendant, but you get routed directly to service and parts (sales coming soon after two more phones are live). **IF** there is not an answer within 6 rings in those departments, you will get voicemail for that department. Our goal is to return that call within 10 minutes. The more detailed the message that is left, the more efficient we’ll be when we return the call. (i.e. Call Joe @ 555-1212 vs. I need to know a price and availability on XYZ, Call Joe @ 555-1212.) Wouldn’t you rather have an answer immediately when we call you back?

>Have clean restroom that are not shared by mechanics.

Done. And…working on lighting/paint scheme to not have them seem so dreary.

>Area with tv for wifes/children while they wait for decision on bike >purchase or service dept Perhaps include Parts counters with tv/mx rr >supermoto racing videos to watch while waiting, Dish network with >hardrive to record MX, SX RoadRace, Enduro, Supermoto, Freestyle >events and have them played back.

You’ll probably have to wait until next year for this, but we plan a “Stan’s Style” waiting area with plasma TV, complimentary gourmet coffee, soda fountain, etc. Unfortunately, we can’t complete the plumbing and construction required at this time of year.

>Other differentiator could include
    >For dirtbike racers, include a packet that includes all the >Motorcross/Supercross organizations, with events for the year calendar, >website, and contact information.
    >For trail riders include good maps of the area, where to go riding in >Colorado, how to street legalize bike and other necessary informations
    >For street include maps of favorite trips/rides, must see places and >events for the year, website like CSC to meet up for rides.

Outstanding ideas, and I will start working on this immediately!

>Have access to Internet with links to current bike shootouts, race orgs, >CSC, other important information

Space might not allow this in our store, but a great idea!

>Work with race orgs SRAC RMXA RMEC MRA for 1 free race or reduced >cost entry fee or org fee for those joining those orgs for the first time. >Introduce racing, more people for orgs, more bike and parts sales.

How about a cost-subsidized track day, or a cost-subsidized racing school? Just a thought.

>Rental of bullet proof bikes TTr125 xr250 KLX300 to introduce people to >the joy of motorcycling, possibly supply courtesy bike while one is down >over the weekend.

My insurance agent is trembling and sweating…it’s certainly possible, but the **I** word is what really makes this tough. Courtesy bikes are available in special circumstances (I sent a guy home on a used Victory today while we worked on his)

>Discount to motorcycle driving schools or supply a street legal ttr125 (or >small street bike) to take drivers test on.

I provide two Virago 250’s to Ricky Orlando’s school, and a DR200 for Rocky Mountain Motorcycle training. Additionally, I attend the graduations of those schools, introduce the store, and offer a free helmet to anyone chooses to purchase a bike from us. If the helmet isn’t what you want, I’ll give you a credit toward what you want.

Additionally, most of the manufacturers provide incentives for attending ATV training—but there’s very little available here. We’re working on a solution there as well.

And finally…..

> Price is utmost important, the only time service is considered is if a dealership has >poor service or a bad reputation.

I’ll have to challenge this statement based on, “all of the above”. If you really believe that price is the utmost important, you’re not allowing a dealership the profit necessary to provide the very things you say you would like to see.

My opinion, VALUE for PRICE paid is the most important—and we’re not perfect. However, we have the mindset that we CAN do these things, we CAN provide much of what folks want, and we can do it better than the guy who sells bikes $50 cheaper than we do.

In other words, do you want Michelins, or recaps? ‘cause you can’t get Michelins at recap prices!
    'Punkin'
    * I don't have a fancy signature *

Re: Dealership expectations: Punkin's response to R1ch (was

Mike

01 RSVR Mille (street)
    04 RSVR Mille (race)

MRA #98

Suomy Helmets, TK Motorsports, Zero Gravity Windscreens, Morse Racing Products, Motul Lubricants,

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."
    John Wayne

agreed... I'm impressed.
    99 GSXR600 & 96 Pathfinder - Gixxer was killed, Pathfinder was sold.

'03 Kawi 636

Good write up bro (literally Punkin...aka Scott is my brother) I passed this information onto him in hopes he could address these items. I held back on respones until we could deliver a well written response that directly answers many of the questions and great ideas put forth. I believe we accomplished this.
    No matter what industry you look at, you will always hear the negatives and rarely the positives. Feedback is the key and so far with taking on this dealership role we have gotten great feedback and re-acted. It takes time and more importantly ENERGY and resources to fix, repair, and re-invent something that has been broke for so long. As punkin (laugh everytime I type that name) stated we are moving forward to take the powersports industry to a level that no one has ever seen. Will it happen overnight.....definetely not! But, the improvements already can be witnessed when you walk through the doors.
    I encourage those of you that have had bad experiences at dealerships or even our place to swing by. If you have automotive needs or would like to see what we are all about swing by Stan's and you will see what makes the difference and how honesty, integrity, and customer loyalty shines.
    We are currently working with Ralph on a few things that you will see here on the site in upcoming days or weeks. Stay tuned for these details. If you go up to Twin Peaks ask for Scott or Stan....I try to be there on Saturdays. If you come by Stan's ask for me (Curtis) I would like to meet and give you a tour of our place. We are keeping two businesses moving forward and each of us has our roles to play. Keep the ideas coming, as this is one of the most important ways to improve.
    As we move forward and make improvements I will ensure we share them here with the CSC crowd and let ya know what you can expect.
    Good follow up Scott..........

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Great information Scott. Thank you!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

> Price is utmost important, the only time service is considered is if a dealership has >poor service or a bad reputation.

I’ll have to challenge this statement based on, “all of the above”. If you really believe that price is the utmost important, you’re not allowing a dealership the profit necessary to provide the very things you say you would like to see.

My opinion, VALUE for PRICE paid is the most important—and we’re not perfect. However, we have the mindset that we CAN do these things, we CAN provide much of what folks want, and we can do it better than the guy who sells bikes $50 cheaper than we do.

I did try to put some thought into my post and I am very impressed that you read even more so addressed line by line. This is the mark of a good dealership, one that actually listens. Some of my remarks were just throwing out ideas that someone could take and run with, since I am not in the industry it is difficult to cover everything. I will certainly look to your dealership for my next purchase.

Price is utmost may have been too strong but it is a deciding factor but I think you answered well. Value does keep customers coming back. Value is a delicate balance of price and what you get for that price. Sounds like you will be in the ball park and I for one understand businesses are in the business for profit otherwise, they go under.

Although it is probably out of your hands most of the time. Stock can sometimes be and issues especially on new models. Being about to walk in and ride out on a bike meets that impulse buy (that would be my R1 and or the Zx10 that got away) Good luck with your dealership, I think anyone should be impressed.
    "For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing....What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?"

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin";p="186964
    >Have access to Internet with links to current bike shootouts, race orgs, >CSC, other important information

Space might not allow this in our store, but a great idea!
    Actually, a vertical Kiosk with a properly configured computer wouldn't take up much room. Let me know if you want to pursue this further, I can help.

>Work with race orgs SRAC RMXA RMEC MRA for 1 free race or reduced >cost entry fee or org fee for those joining those orgs for the first time. >Introduce racing, more people for orgs, more bike and parts sales.

How about a cost-subsidized track day, or a cost-subsidized racing school? Just a thought.
    SCHOOL!! I wouldn't suggest paying for the race fees directly. The school is a much better (and cheaper) way for them to find out if racing is something they really want to do, and it's the "first step" we all had to do before we could race. They'll learn something and have a lot of fun.

>Discount to motorcycle driving schools or supply a street legal ttr125 (or >small street bike) to take drivers test on.

I provide two Virago 250’s to Ricky Orlando’s school, and a DR200 for Rocky Mountain Motorcycle training. Additionally, I attend the graduations of those schools, introduce the store, and offer a free helmet to anyone chooses to purchase a bike from us. If the helmet isn’t what you want, I’ll give you a credit toward what you want.
    How about cost subsidizing an MSF class? Or tell them that if they show proof of recent MSF certification when purchasing their new bike, they get a voucher for $150 towards any safey gear in the store or something like that.

What ever happened to the Twin Peaks Logo contest that was on here a while back? Did I sleep through the conclusion?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The logos that were submitted never really "hit" what we wanted. The new logo was designed by a person who had previously done some graphics for the watersport racers from the store......here is the new logo we are using

Viva APRILIA!

How about being an Aprilia dealer who truly loves the brand and demonstrates this by unparalleled passion and intimate knowledge of these machines. I can tell you the biggest frustration an Aprilia owner faces is a "dealer" who knows nothing about the Italian mark.

You should have at least two main Aprilia "experts" in your shop - although an in-house "product familiarity/training program" should be established to "certify" all your staff as "experts" (whatever brand). They must know exactly what they are selling... be it Yamaha, Aprilia, etc. before they attempt to "help" a customer.

I hope you guys can be THE dealer for us Colorado Aprilia owners...

Here is our sanctuary: www.apriliaforum.com

Thanks.

Note: My first Aprilia, an '00.5 was originally purchased at Twin Peaks...
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R
    '02 Malaguti Yesterday 50

I'll give you this IF or WHEN Aprilia gets off their ass and gets me something besides 2004 product (currently waiting until around Sept. 2005), we'll do our best. Until then, it's frustrating to try and support a brand that has not done much to support us.

The hope and goal is that with the buyout complete, things are going to start moving forward--we're in wait and see mode!

( I have checked out apriliaforum.com, and will spend more time there in the future. My techs love it--there's more diagnostic information there than we get from Aprilia! )

--Scott

(and thanks for your purchase in the past!)
    'Punkin'
    * I don't have a fancy signature *

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin";p="188905
    I'll give you this IF or WHEN Aprilia gets off their ass and gets me something besides 2004 product (currently waiting until around Sept. 2005), we'll do our best. Until then, it's frustrating to try and support a brand that has not done much to support us.

The hope and goal is that with the buyout complete, things are going to start moving forward--we're in wait and see mode!

( I have checked out apriliaforum.com, and will spend more time there in the future. My techs love it--there's more diagnostic information there than we get from Aprilia! )

--Scott

(and thanks for your purchase in the past!)
    Scott,
    I know Aprilia has been going through some hard times. Yet - there are still a number of GREAT Aprilia dealerships out there that manage to operate as I have described in my "wish list". I'm not sure how they have "not done much to support" you, but I believe the '05 bikes are pretty scarce nationwide. I hope you continue to support Aprilia and create the type of dealership all Aprilia owner's refer to as THE ONLY ONE to go for all things Aprilia in the State of Colorado. I'm sure you will find your persistance will pay off in the form of solid support from Aprilia and the owners of this brand.

C'mon Scott... include Aprilia in your vision.
    Rick T.
    '12 Ducati SF848
    '01 Ducati M900RRS
    '00.5 Aprilia Mille R
    '02 Malaguti Yesterday 50