Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: attention all Squids

Re: attention all Squids

Sporty, I'm not trying to knock you at all, but saying you put 6K in two years isn't going to mean much. Some people on this board put 6K on their bike in a month. You're talking about 3k a year. I put 3K on my GSXR the last two months I rode her.

All I know is that now that I'm used to completely gearing up for rides and have actually been down I feel very naked if I'm just wearing my jacket and pants or jeans with tennies. I would never get on my bike in just a tshirt unless I'm just running it from the front of the house to the back. This coming from the girl who used to ride with just a helmet jeans and tennies for the last two summers.
    Last edited by Wyck; Tue Sep 8th, 2009 at 09:18 AM.
    The time to hesitate is through
    No time to wallow in the mire
    Try now we can only lose
    And our love become a funeral pyre

07 cbr600rr - cookie
    02 yzf600r - sold

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Wink Re: attention all Squids

I ride a trike and have for 1 1/2 years now due to some kind of issue medical people can't figure out. Everyone keeps telling me I am just getting old but I am not buying that...lol. I have ridden 2 wheels forever, so it has been a bit of a change for me. We had a camp out over Labor Day weekend and did a lot of riding. Friday was hot and I decided I could just wear my low cut shoes to ride. I have 3 wheels yanno! All the bikes shut down and my buddy says "where are you going?", I said now where do you think? "Not in those shoes you're not". Well I gave my best argument, and ended up putting on my boots after 3 of them chewed my ass up one side and down the other, and they didn't nibble, so I didn't enjoy it. I don't agree to ever impose my thoughts on anyone else nor should they impose their thoughts on me, however, these guys are my friends and I know it was done out of concern and caring. Keep that in mind as opinions are being expressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Helly View Post
    I don't think anyone has a right to tell anyone else what or what not to wear, or say their stupid cause they don't dress like u. Come on, just cause u rock ur gear all the time doesn't make u better, that's just ur choice. When it comes down to it right and wrong is simply a matter of opinion, so don't assume ur right cause that's just ur opinion. And to say she couldn't come on a group ride with u just makes u sound like a dick, IMO. Who are u, her dad? What's it to u what she wears?

Why dont you two Squids ride and crash together wearing whatever you want.
    I'll tell you the same thing I told her.
    Show up on one of my rides wearing your flohos and wifebeater and you will not ride with us.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Board Newbie

I don't think anyone has a right to tell anyone else what or what not to wear, or say their stupid cause they don't dress like u. Come on, just cause u rock ur gear all the time doesn't make u better, that's just ur choice. When it comes down to it right and wrong is simply a matter of opinion, so don't assume ur right cause that's just ur opinion. And to say she couldn't come on a group ride with u just makes u sound like a dick, IMO. Who are u, her dad? What's it to u what she wears?

I figure, "what the hell, why shouldn't my first post be in a contentious thread?"

Hey all, Ed here. I ride Laverdas and always wear all my gear. My choice, I don't give a damn what anyone else wears and have fought helmet laws anywhere I could. You wanna be a squid, go right ahead.

But... I'm with Nick Ninja here (talked to you in Lyons Saturday). If your going riding with me you better be wearing your gear. There's a very simple reason for this, and yeah its selfish.
    When riding in a group you all are responsible for every other rider in that group. Not so much to keep them safe, although as far as it makes sense you are. But your absolutely responsible to take care of anyone who has a problem, whether it be a simple mechanical deal or full death and dismemberment. One of you squidly types crash when riding with me and chances are my day is ruined. Yours too, but thats your choice not mine. I will do anything and everything I can to help no matter what you were wearing, but if your riding with me I'd like the results of a crash to be as easy to deal with as possible. I really don't want to have to sit and hold your hand while you die (been there done that) so I wont ride with you if you cant take the time to take care of yourself. Your choice to not wear protective gear, my choice to not ride with you. Nothing personal.

That hand I held? I didn't know her, she was just out riding on the Angeles Crest Hwy., on the back of some other squids GSXR (He died too, massive head injuries.). She died from road rash, nothing else, just the shock from having most of her skin torn off.

You make your choice, I'll make mine. Like I said, nothing personal.

Ed

I think you are all missing my point I was not talking about group riding. I read the "Colorado Sport Bike Club Rules" and know what’s expected and would adhere to them. Now how I dress any other time should be no concern to you. It comes down to this it’s my choice, my skin and my life. Their is no written law in Colorado to be dressed a certain way (except for eye protection) so ease off dudes and dudettes and lets have fun riding.

Quote Originally Posted by LaverdaGuy View Post

That hand I held? I didn't know her, she was just out riding on the Angeles Crest Hwy., on the back of some other squids GSXR (He died too, massive head injuries.). She died from road rash, nothing else, just the shock from having most of her skin torn off.
    How long ago and where along the Crest.

Personally, i used to stay away from ACH because people on that rode, ride way too fast (comming from me), way beyond their limits, and way under-dressed (No gear other than a lid).

I stuck to AFH, 9 mile, and upper ACH. I love the roads out here, but man i miss the Angeles Forrest and Santa Monica Mountains.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Board Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    How long ago and where along the Crest.

Personally, i used to stay away from ACH because people on that rode, ride way too fast (comming from me), way beyond their limits, and way under-dressed (No gear other than a lid).

I stuck to AFH, 9 mile, and upper ACH. I love the roads out here, but man i miss the Angeles Forrest and Santa Monica Mountains.
    Geez man, a memory test! Lets see, I'm trying to remember what that area was called. Not Chilao, that was further up...Charlton Flats! (I think). They were traveling "down" past Charlton at what had to be some stupid speed (coming from me, as I rode back then, that was fast) and came off just before the turn out/parking area. I didn't see the accident, just came across it first, as the dust was settling. Speed wobble, the slight curve in the road, I dont know what caused it. Would of been, oh...around 1987? Maybe later but not much.

I understand your staying off ACH. I started riding up there in the 70s and watched it change drastically in the early 80s. Bikes got much faster, many more riders started showing up, speed was too easy and many crashed hard. Thats why the CHP started cracking down so hard, and why many of us started riding elsewhere too. Although I never stopped riding the Crest, Newcombs was just too much a part of my life. I miss the place. We need a Newcombs out here.

let me start by sincerely apologizing to all that are offended by this thread.
    Funny thing is that this thread was a joke.

dear Airborne Helly.
    you and I have two things in common, we ride and we were soldiers.
    I spent 4 glorious years with this mans Army and my last two years I enjoyed with 3rd Bet. 75th Ranger regiment as a tabed Airborne medic.
    I'm not better than you or her or any other soul on earth but very much like you and all others I have my opinions.
    I believe my point is and was very clear and it has been supported for the most part by those who piped in in that "we" simply expect one to wear the basic safety equipment when going on group rides.
    Of course I care less what you or anyone does on "your" time.
    I did not mean to come across in a Dick like manner but I strongly believe this to make sense for all that choose to ride a motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    I'm not sure that have an extreme view on either side merits being barned or banned. I think acting like a dick b/c of it might fall into that category, but not expressing a far-from-center opinion...
    opinions are like assholes~~~we all got one and if assholes could fly this place would be an Airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    What I think Sasch is really trying to say has already been summed up in the original (aka "pre-forum") club rules.
    Rules
    Spiderman,
    I would like to thank you for your ongoing, tiredless efforts to make me a better person and for keeping the peace in this zoo.
    I have much love for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LaverdaGuy View Post
    I figure, "what the hell, why shouldn't my first post be in a contentious thread?"

Hey all, Ed here. I ride Laverdas and always wear all my gear. My choice, I don't give a damn what anyone else wears and have fought helmet laws anywhere I could. You wanna be a squid, go right ahead.

But... I'm with Nick Ninja here (talked to you in Lyons Saturday). If your going riding with me you better be wearing your gear. There's a very simple reason for this, and yeah its selfish.
    When riding in a group you all are responsible for every other rider in that group. Not so much to keep them safe, although as far as it makes sense you are. But your absolutely responsible to take care of anyone who has a problem, whether it be a simple mechanical deal or full death and dismemberment. One of you squidly types crash when riding with me and chances are my day is ruined. Yours too, but thats your choice not mine. I will do anything and everything I can to help no matter what you were wearing, but if your riding with me I'd like the results of a crash to be as easy to deal with as possible. I really don't want to have to sit and hold your hand while you die (been there done that) so I wont ride with you if you cant take the time to take care of yourself. Your choice to not wear protective gear, my choice to not ride with you. Nothing personal.

You make your choice, I'll make mine. Like I said, nothing personal.

Ed
    welcome to the CSC Ed.
    needless to say I like the way you think.
    I too have learned the hard and painful way that carelessness while rding a motorcycle could have very dire consequences.
    Like the good word says~~~sweat wipes off, roadrash does not.
    I have felt the pain, I have seen others feel the pain and I too have watched others die from injuries that should not have been fatal.

again,
    nuff said.

This season is rapidly coming to an end, though, I hope to be able to enjoy a few more nice, safe rides with my friends and any and all that are able and willing to join us (assuming your dressed properly).

Sincerely,
    Sashwhoisusuallyveryeloquantsincereandfuntobearoun dandnotatalladickkindaguy
    Last edited by SaShWhO; Wed Sep 9th, 2009 at 08:53 AM.
    be nice till it's time to no longer be nice

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaShWhO View Post
    Sash who is usually very eloquent, sincere and fun to be around and not at all a dick kinda guy
    Fixed.

And for those that don't know him it's mostly true.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

Just a friendly debate. I understand ur points and the few group rides I've been on this season I of course showed up in the appropriate attire. I just don't think it's very nice to ridicule someone for the choices they make that have no effect on u. but I do get that what u all are saying is with the best intentions. Whether ur in full leathers or buck naked, have fun out there but above all stay alert and be safe! Oh and also thank u for ur service, and all those who have served, this country would be no where without u.

1/505 pir 82nd airborne division
    11b1p airborne infantry
    deployed Iraq and Afghanistan
    '06 GSX-R750

It's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride!

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    WTF is a bicker?
    I was wondering the same thing Jim. I know the verb bicker, but not the noun.
    Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
    Jules Winnfield-- Pulp Fiction

-Bob-

'07 Yamaha FJR1300