Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, facebook tards

AKA "Devaclis"

Hey, facebook tards

Put down your ADD for a minute or two and read this. And then tweet about it!!!! (fags)

How Facebook Ruins Friendships

By ELIZABETH BERNSTEIN - Wall Street Journal

Notice to my friends: I love you all dearly.

But I don't give a hoot that you are "having a busy Monday," your child "took 30 minutes to brush his teeth," your dog "just ate an ant trap" or you want to "save the piglets." And I really, really don't care which Addams Family member you most resemble. (I could have told you the answer before you took the quiz on Facebook.)

Here's where you and I went wrong: We took our friendship online. First we began communicating more by email than by phone. Then we switched to "instant messaging" or "texting." We "friended" each other on Facebook, and began communicating by "tweeting" our thoughts—in 140 characters or less—via Twitter.

All this online social networking was supposed to make us closer. And in some ways it has. Thanks to the Internet, many of us have gotten back in touch with friends from high school and college, shared old and new photos, and become better acquainted with some people we might never have grown close to offline.

Last year, when a friend of mine was hit by a car and went into a coma, his friends and family were able to easily and instantly share news of his medical progress—and send well wishes and support—thanks to a Web page his mom created for him.

But there's a danger here, too. If we're not careful, our online interactions can hurt our real-life relationships.

Like many people, I'm experiencing Facebook Fatigue. I'm tired of loved ones—you know who you are—who claim they are too busy to pick up the phone, or even write a decent email, yet spend hours on social-media sites, uploading photos of their children or parties, forwarding inane quizzes, posting quirky, sometimes nonsensical one-liners or tweeting their latest whereabouts. ("Anyone know a good restaurant in Berlin?")

One of the big problems is how we converse. Typing still leaves something to be desired as a communication tool; it lacks the nuances that can be expressed by body language and voice inflection. "Online, people can't see the yawn," says Patricia Wallace, a psychologist at Johns Hopkins University's Center for Talented Youth and author of "The Psychology of the Internet."

But let's face it, the problem is much greater than which tools we use to communicate. It's what we are actually saying that's really mucking up our relationships. "Oh my God, a college friend just updated her Facebook status to say that her 'teeth are itching for a flossing!'" shrieked a friend of mine recently. "That's gross. I don't want to hear about what's going on inside her mouth."

That prompted me to check my own Facebook page, only to find that three of my pals—none of whom know each other—had the exact same status update: "Zzzzzzz." They promptly put me to "zzzzzzz."

This brings us to our first dilemma: Amidst all this heightened chatter, we're not saying much that's interesting, folks. Rather, we're breaking a cardinal rule of companionship: Thou Shalt Not Bore Thy Friends.

"It's called narcissism," says Matt Brown, a 36-year-old business-development manager for a chain of hair salons and spas in Seattle. He's particularly annoyed by a friend who works at an auto dealership who tweets every time he sells a car, a married couple who bicker on Facebook's public walls and another couple so "mooshy-gooshy" they sit in the same room of their house posting love messages to each other for all to see. "Why is your life so frickin' important and entertaining that we need to know?" Mr. Brown says.
    'I Just Ate a Frito Pie'

Gwen Jewett, for her part, is sick of meal status updates. "A few of my friends like to post several times a day about what they are eating: 'I just ate a Frito pie.' 'I am enjoying a double hot-fudge sundae at home tonight.' 'Just ate a whole pizza with sausage, peppers and double cheese,'" says the 49-year-old career coach in suburban Dallas. "My question is this: If we didn't call each other on the phone every time we ate before, why do we need the alerts now?"

For others, boredom isn't the biggest challenge of managing Internet relationships. Consider, for example, how people you know often seem different online—not just gussied up or more polished, but bolder, too, displaying sides of their personalities you have never seen before.

Alex Gilbert, 27, who works for a nonprofit in Houston that teaches creative writing to kids, is still puzzling over an old friend—"a particularly masculine-type dude"—who plays in a heavy-metal band and heads a motorcycle club yet posts videos on Facebook of "uber cute" kittens. "It's not fodder for your real-life conversation," Mr. Gilbert says. "We're not going to get together and talk about how cute kittens are."

James Hills discovered that a colleague is gay via Facebook, but he says that didn't bother him. It was after his friend joined groups that cater to hairy men, such as "Furball NYC," that he was left feeling awkward. "This is something I just didn't need to know," says Mr. Hills, who is 32 and president of a marketing firm in Elgin, Ill. "I'd feel the same way if it was a straight friend joining a leather-and-lace group."

And then there's jealousy. In all that information you're posting about your life—your vacation, your kids, your promotions at work, even that margarita you just drank—someone is bound to find something to envy. When it comes to relationships, such online revelations can make breaking up even harder to do.

"Facebook prolongs the period it takes to get over someone, because you have an open window into their life, whether you want to or not," says Yianni Garcia of New York, a consultant who helps companies use social media. "You see their updates, their pictures and their relationship status."

Mr. Garcia, 24, felt the sting of Facebook jealousy personally last spring, after he split up with his boyfriend. For a few weeks, he continued to visit his ex's Facebook page, scrutinizing his new friends. Then one day he discovered that his former boyfriend had blocked him from accessing his profile.

Why? "He said he'd only 'unfriended' me to protect himself, because if someone flirted with me he would feel jealous," Mr. Garcia says.

Facebook can also be a mecca for passive-aggressive behavior. "Suddenly, things you wouldn't say out loud in conversation are OK to say because you're sitting behind a computer screen," says Kimberly Kaye, 26, an arts writer in New York. She was surprised when friends who had politely discussed health-care reform over dinner later grew much more antagonistic when they continued the argument online.

Just ask Heather White. She says her college roommate at the University of Georgia started an argument over text about who should clean their apartment. Ms. White, 22, who was home visiting her parents at the time, asked her friend to call her so they could discuss the issue. Her friend never did.

A few days later, Ms. White, who graduated in May, updated her Facebook status, commenting that her favorite country duo, Brooks & Dunn, just broke up. Almost immediately, her roommate responded, writing publicly on her wall: "Just like us." The two women have barely spoken since then.
    Band-Aid Tactics

So what's the solution, short of "unfriending" or "unfollowing" everyone who annoys you? You can use the "hide" button on Facebook to stop getting your friends' status updates—they'll never know—or use TwitterSnooze, a Web site that allows you to temporarily suspend tweets from someone you follow. (Warning: They'll get a notice from Twitter when you begin reading their tweets again.)

But these are really just Band-Aid tactics. To improve our interactions, we need to change our conduct, not just cover it up. First, watch your own behavior, asking yourself before you post anything: "Is this something I'd want someone to tell me?" "Run it by that focus group of one," says Johns Hopkins's Dr. Wallace.

And positively reward others, responding only when they write something interesting, ignoring them when they are boring or obnoxious. (Commenting negatively will only start a very public war.)

If all that fails, you can always start a new group: "Get Facebook to Create an Eye-Roll Button Now!"
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Re: Hey, facebook tards

I am sitting on the patio...
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them

couldn't you have kept this to 140 charachters?
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

That's the way Facebook & all the other social media sites are. If you don't like it, don't go on 'em. If you're on 'em, use common sense. /thread.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    That's the way Facebook & all the other social media sites are. If you don't like it, don't go on 'em. If you're on 'em, use common sense. /thread.
    pfft, shouldn't you be out harassing small animals with your machete?

...and twating about it?

Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

AKA "Devaclis"

Dude, he made awesome steaks, got a kick ass fire going, and was the only one who did not fall in the water, the fire, or in his own pee during the entire trip.

Chris the Grizzly fuckin' Adams of the CSC
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Damn, I think I just tweeted... Stinks too.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

Oooooh, did you follow through?

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Dude, he made awesome steaks, got a kick ass fire going, and was the only one who did not fall in the water, the fire, or in his own pee during the entire trip.

Took to it like a monkey to a jungle!
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I love the paranoid users that are all scared to de-friend someone thinking they will get some big bold highlighted email informing their now non-friend they've been de-friended, cracks me up......I love Facebook and Twitter they work well for social engineering
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Too much reading!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I kind of "get" Facebook. Twitter, not so much.

I have a facebook account, I rarely update it, I get really tired of getting a round of drinks, or challenged to a pillow fight, that is just stupid shit, I spent more time blocking all that crap. It was nice to hear from people I hadn't since HS, but other than that I just don't see a need to be on it everyday.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

So Dana,

What is the difference between Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/ "insert social engineering/networking site here" and the Colorado Socialite Sportbike Club?

- Inane posts about cereal and other completely unrelated topics (eventhough they're in the general forum)
    - kitten pics
    - Completely inappropriate posting that proves just how much of a window licker someone is

Everything the guy was bitching about in the article and I'm guessing by the title of the thread, you support... So if you're so against the above mentioned, what's the difference here? I'm confused...

The article does make some very valid points. De-friending/hide posts/ignore member doesn't happen nearly often enough. Know what, not everyone is going to love everyone all the time. That's life. Social networking sites serve their purpose but just like anything, they can be easily abused when the inmates are running the asylum.

I think the most important take away from that article is:
    To improve our interactions, we need to change our conduct, not just cover it up. First, watch your own behavior, asking yourself before you post anything: "Is this something I'd want someone to tell me?" "Run it by that focus group of one," says Johns Hopkins's Dr. Wallace.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    Took to it like a monkey to a jungle!
    I can totally see that. Good job mang

Saw this on one of the blogs I frequent. Guy flipped out while camping for 50 days...

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle6814840.ece

Seems a little flaky but then again I've never done it.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

I think more people need to understand the true impact of their actions online. As more of these SN type sites become popular, anonymity erodes...

Saw this a last week and thought it was very interesting when I see posts (on Facebook) by people looking for jobs, and also talking about chucking dog waste at Jake Cutler in the same day...

Uncouth Facebook postings closing doors for job candidates
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    I can totally see that. Good job mang
    Thanks! I had some good scout masters! Who, oddly enough I can't quit now...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

AKA "Devaclis"

I understand, you are confused

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

So Dana,

What is the difference between Facebook/MySpace/Twitter/ "insert social engineering/networking site here" and the Colorado Socialite Sportbike Club?

- Inane posts about cereal and other completely unrelated topics (eventhough they're in the general forum)
    - kitten pics
    - Completely inappropriate posting that proves just how much of a window licker someone is

Everything the guy was bitching about in the article and I'm guessing by the title of the thread, you support... So if you're so against the above mentioned, what's the difference here? I'm confused...

The article does make some very valid points. De-friending/hide posts/ignore member doesn't happen nearly often enough. Know what, not everyone is going to love everyone all the time. That's life. Social networking sites serve their purpose but just like anything, they can be easily abused when the inmates are running the asylum.

I think the most important take away from that article is:

Let me rephrase the question...

You spend all day on forums doing the same stuff that your bitching about FaceSpaceTwitLink people doing... what's the difference?
    Last edited by salsashark; Tue Sep 1st, 2009 at 09:56 AM.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Dana doesn't like Facebook, so it means it sucks.

Dana, aren't you on Myspace?
    Last edited by McVaaahhh; Tue Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

AKA "Devaclis"

Because I am here to provide comic relief to all of you and to keep myself from killing people. this is more of a blog to me than a social networking site. Unless I need it to be, then I will use it as a social networking site.

I spend a LOT of time with my friends from the CSC, IRL. I am not just an online persona that you will never meet. I don't have twitter "followers" or a webpage with my favorite song this week. I don't have a "top 8 friends of the CSC" list that everyone sees when they look at my posts. I don't have 1 single reply to any of my posts that consists of "Hey you. You keep being special" followed by a glittery picture of a young adult in sparkly blue jeans and huge white sunglasses.

Basically, I am on here because I am bored at work. I post funny things I find on the internet, to amuse my friends and help them waste some time. I start arguments I have no intention of every finishing. And I sometimes like to post up about happy hours and DTC lunches.

But I do not have a page, or a site, dedicated to JUST me. Although that would be badass. We could call it the Play Place or something close to that.

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Dana doesn't like Facebook, so it means it sucks.

Dana, aren't you on Myspace?
    I was. I am not sure if I still am. I used it a couple of years ago to pick up young, impressionable men.

I was. I am not sure if I still am. I used it a couple of years ago to pick up young, impressionable men.
    Well you used the right bait...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I think the same holds true to any individual whose post count on an forum is over 17,000.

MRA Racer No.427

I start arguments I have no intention of every finishing.

But I do not have a page, or a site, dedicated to JUST me. Although that would be badass. We could call it the Play Place or something close to that.
    Hmmm.... seems there used to be one but it wasn't yours... jealousy??
    Jon