Thread: Pls help me understand motorcycle group riding

Question Pls help me understand motorcycle group riding

In reading about Friday's ride at http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=35058 I was wondering what some of the do's and dont's are about riding in a group. This is a sincere question and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I just want to make sure everyone knows what they are getting themselves into when riding in a group.

I understand that one of the do's is to top off your tank before meeting with the group and to know how far you can go on a tank.
    However, I also thought that if you ride in a group you have some sort of a "captain" who organizes and manages the trip and ensures that everyone's fine. I found this interesting article: http://www.gmasw.com/riderule.pdf. Not sure who the author is. But it seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Is this article accurate or are my expectations too high?

Re: Pls help me understand motorcycle group riding

here are some of MY thoughts on it.

1. do NOT try to keep up with other riders above and beyond your skill level.
    2. dont ride above your skill level and put others at risk.
    3. ride your ride, just enjoy riding.
    4. if you leave the group ride, let another rider in the group know so were not waiting thinking your in the ditch with your leg next to your ear.
    5. dont show for a group ride on a bike thats a danger to yourself and others...

usually on a group ride ive been on, we'll wait for you. personally i will sit and smoke a whole pack of cigs waiting. i dont care how long it takes you to get there as long as you get there safely.
    as for a leader usually what ive seen is the person who setup the ride usually has an idea of were theyre going what stops theyll make for gas, food, pepsi. but sometimes its not that clear cut. ( one reason i ride solo so much. ) on rides ive seen in denver like the newb ride, they setup riders to lead, pace, and sweep the back of the pack. to ensure all riders get to the destination safely. i dig that.

group rides are fun but a pita, especially when people lead who shouldnt be. thats my .o2$
    Brat

i thought i knew how far i could go on my gas, but i just put that sprocket on and bashed my tank. so i was like maybe 1 mile shy of getting to a gas station. but as far as going on a little ride having to keep tabs on everybody gets kinkda old. if its a long ride then yea, make sure everyone is ok after a couple a miles but the deckers ride is too short for having to wait up for everyone. if there is someone new then yea make sure they're ok. but i dont know some people expect too much outta rides just have fun and check up every once and awile. but again deckers is too short of a ride.
    _04 ZX636R Stunt Edition <-video__ Silverado Z71______

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    here are some of MY thoughts on it.

1. do NOT try to keep up with other riders above and beyond your skill level.
    2. dont ride above your skill level and put others at risk.
    3. ride your ride, just enjoy riding.
    4. if you leave the group ride, let another rider in the group know so were not waiting thinking your in the ditch with your leg next to your ear.
    5. dont show for a group ride on a bike thats a danger to yourself and others...

usually on a group ride ive been on, we'll wait for you. personally i will sit and smoke a whole pack of cigs waiting. i dont care how long it takes you to get there as long as you get there safely.
    as for a leader usually what ive seen is the person who setup the ride usually has an idea of were theyre going what stops theyll make for gas, food, pepsi. but sometimes its not that clear cut. ( one reason i ride solo so much. ) on rides ive seen in denver like the newb ride, they setup riders to lead, pace, and sweep the back of the pack. to ensure all riders get to the destination safely. i dig that.

group rides are fun but a pita, especially when people lead who shouldnt be. thats my .o2$
    Brat
    Most of what BRAT said I agree with. I have always suggested that new people to a group come to various social events to get to know the people around you. Understand the riding skills and personalities/quality of character, of those around you and whether or not you want to be a part of that skill level in your day of riding.

I personally, ride with a select few. I am a slower rider and I will NOT ride above my skill level or my ADHD level on any given day. Those that I do ride with, know this about me and are very accomodating and patient with me.

There are some groups that ride "the Pace" and do it very very well. I choose to be in groups where I can ride my ride, at my level, while also knowing that my friends can blast and have a great day ahead of me. I catch up eventually (usually not a whole pack late).

There is something to be said for a good ride leader. There is also something to be said for taking care of yourself on fuel, tire pressure and preparedness for a ride. It is also upon the individual rider to take responsibility for their skill level and those they choose to enjoy a day with.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Sat Sep 5th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the helpful advice, esp the tip about getting to know others at social events. Never thought of that... .

My concern is that if I'm in a group and something happened, believing that someone will eventually look for me and relying on this belief, I may react differently in unexpected situations than I would if I knew that I am on my own.

I'm ok being on my own, but would want to know beforehand.

i guess if you are riding new enough, that you look like you might crash, there will be people around. i don't know about other people but i can usually see in peoples riding if they are pushing them self too far and i will start watching out for them. but myself along with the other riders were riding very well. my girl and some of ther other girls knew there limits and they weren't pushing too far. it would have been a long ride if we had to wait up after every corner.
    _04 ZX636R Stunt Edition <-video__ Silverado Z71______

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I like to ride with at least one other person, just in case I need help or they need help. But I also ride with people that cover my tail. IF I ride on my own, I go places where I know I will be safe and have help if I need it. I KNOW the Harley guys will cover me if I ask nicely. I KNOW other bikers will get me eventually. Otherwise, I ride with friends in the canyons.

It's ultimately your choice how you want to ride or those that you want to ride with.

My .02 is to ride with those you trust and that have similar riding skills and similar quality of character.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Like everybody said, just ride your own pace and never feel pressured to hurry/keep up. People will wait for you!
    The dynamics of every group ride will be different and that will usually be discussed ahead of time. If everybody is aware that there is a newer rider or someone that is uncomfortable with group rides, then chances are people will keep an eye out for you. Regardless of skills/experience, you won't get left behind and if something happens to you - they will come find you! Just make sure to let people know how you are feeling about things and they will work with ya.
    --Just like SRAD said, there was no need to sit and wait for people at every corner on Fri's ride. Every now and then we met up at agreed upon spot and let everybody catch up. We would chat for a bit and then hop back on the road. (Don't ever tell the ride organizer I said as much...but Fri's ride went great! haha!)
    Last edited by = Buckeye Jess =; Sat Sep 5th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

This topic has been discussed on here before and I have stayed out of the discussion because of some history.

Several of us split off from the group for various reasons one of which is the fact that we wanted to control the rides a little closer. In the maen time we have all gotten older and more comfortable with the group we ride with.

I would say you must form a sense of family and trust before you can truely love group riding. When you reach the point that you know everyone within the group and you ride as a group of friends not just a group of riders then you can relax and enjoy the experience. When you know what the person in front of you and the person behnd you is going to do in almost every situation then you can enjoy your ride.

So for me it is totally dependent upon the group and the dynamics on what the rules are. Don't confuse common sense items with the true rules of group riding.

With that being said the common sense things for me are:

Be on time
    Wear proper gear
    Fill your tank
    Listen and learn
    Don't push it
    Remember you can leave at any point you don't like what's going on
    Know who you are riding with
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

This is a good thread my only group rides have been mixed sport bikes and cruisers (mostly female riders). We ride formation, staggered keeping the same pace and distance from each other. It’s fun but I would like to ride with a group that will let riders ride at a faster pace and skill. However, I don’t ride like I would on the track and this may frustrate some of the sport bike riders hence why I ride alone a lot. From what I have read its ok to go at your pace just stay out of the way therefore, I will be at the back of the bus.
    Last edited by sp0rtygrl; Sat Sep 5th, 2009 at 05:41 PM.

I agree with everyone. To piggy back on a few previous posts. I think the most important thing is to ride within your limits. When in cali I knew a guy that had been riding for a lot longer than I had before we met. The first time we went out together we went to my favorite run, that he had never been to. 4 turns into it he low sided. He admitted he was trying to keep up and under estimated the turn.

The point is that even if you are a great rider. You still have to ride within your limits. If its a new run for you take your time to learn it and not keep up with the people in front of you. I know its hard sometimes. Esp if you run a leader bike and the 600's are way out ahead because they know the run. There's my $0.02 worth

I'm riding a 600, and I'm definitely not way out ahead. Or just ahead for that matter :-(
    Thanks everyone for sharing. This is helpful to me.

I come from the road cycling world and we usually start and finish together. I assumed it is the same in motorcycling.

Quote Originally Posted by sp0rtygrl View Post
    This is a good thread my only group rides have been mixed sport bikes and cruisers (mostly female riders). We ride formation, staggered keeping the same pace and distance from each other. It’s fun but I would like to ride with a group that will let riders ride at a faster pace and skill. However, I don’t ride like I would on the track and this may frustrate some of the sport bike riders hence why I ride alone a lot. From what I have read its ok to go at your pace just stay out of the way therefore, I will be at the back of the bus.
    You'll find both kinds of group rides in here. Some (but not many I know of) are tightly packed and staggered with everybody sticking right there with each other. Most of them that I've personally been on have pretty much broken up due to people riding to their own abilities and just catching up with each other at intervals. If you see a ride posted that you are interested in and you don't know the people involved, just ask what you could expect. Even if it is going to be a "less formal" ride, often times there will be someone that would be willing to stick with you if you feel like ya need it. Either post up with questions about the pace and structure, or you could always PM the original poster.
    ~Jess~

Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Yeah it pretty much is. As long as you have someone that knows what they are doing when yo meet up. Typically tell everyone the route and at the end you all wait to continue. Depending on how long the whole ride is I sometimes stop sometimes to make sure everyone is ok. And for people that have never been on certain runs before we sometimes have "control" riders in the back. Typically someone that wants to take it easy that day. That is always in the back to make sure nothing happens. Then again thats how we did it in Cali. Haven't been out with anyone in Colo yet. So someone please tell me if I am wrong out here.

SoCal...yeah, that's how some of the more organized runs are here. You'll have your group leader(s) and then the sweep(s) in the back. A large enough group ride will often break into packs each with their own leads/sweeps too. Other rides won't have any designated leads/sweeps and will just have meet up spots where everybody waits to get back together - it all is usually at the discretion of the ride organizer/riders.
    ~Jess~

DO ride at your own pace. If you're faster, go ahead of the group. If you're slower, ride in the back. On every ride I've posted, we've waited for the slower riders to catch up.

DO NOT override your abilities. If there are faster riders behind you, they'll go around you. If you're on a straightaway, move to the right side of the lane and give the faster rider the rest of the lane to get around you. I, like everyone else on here, would rather wait 5 minutes at every turnoff than spend 2+ hours on the side of the road because you crashed.

It's on the individual rider to make sure they have gas, air, gear, etc. and that their bike is mechanically sound.

As far as Friday's ride went, nate, 675, SRAD, and myself all pulled over to let the slower riders catch up around Painted Rocks Road (about 3 miles south of the Teller/Douglas County line, and 5 or 6 miles south of the start of the twisties). Jess joined up, then Jennifer caught up to us, but rather than pull in with the group, she continued heading into Woodland Park. I thought she didn't recognize our group for some reason because she kept passing cagers, like she thought the group was ahead of her and she was trying to catch up. Once we caught up with her on 67 around Evergreen Terrace Hts in Woodland Park, I saw she had what looked like a Chatterbox device on the side of her helmet, so I figured she was good. When we reached the intersection at 24 and 67 in Woodland Park, she took the right-side left turn lane while I was in the left-side left turn lane. Thinking she had a way to communicate with SRAD, I wasn't too concerned with sweeping her up anymore, and since we had already left the "twisty zone" and were on relatively straight sections of highway, I figured we were all good, since everyone that was riding with us seemed to be competent and capable riders, very familiar with the route, and in a largely populated area, I continued down to the Springs with Ninja Nate and 675Rider.

On every ride I've gone on, I've stopped at all the intersections to make sure riders didn't get lost and, after waiting a few minutes, have doubled back to sweep people up. When Mofo crashed, myself, Matt and Johnny were sitting at the intersection with Hwy 96 for a few minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by = Buckeye Jess = View Post
    (Don't ever tell the ride organizer I said as much...but Fri's ride went great! haha!)
    I'm glad we all had a great time and everyone went home safe.