Thread: 06 R6 - Battery Dying???

06 R6 - Battery Dying???

06 R6 - Battery Dying??? Hey I know I saw a thread before about someone else with an 06 R6 and battery dying issue... I know Jim TFOG mentioned something about wires and flux compasitors with 2.8 gigawatts - I got confused and ran to the frig for a beer. Well, I have a battery charger and the bike seems to die a day or two after the charge. Any suggestions advice etc would be helpful...

1) It is an original battery 06 (3 years old)...
    2) it also has a clear alternative intergrated tail (don't think it is pulling that much juice)
    3) It did survive the St Pat's Parade but died because of the highbeam being on the whole time - not because of over heating or from the toxic exhaust of Chris' nasty ninja...

Please help...

Re: 06 R6 - Battery Dying???

Do you have a multi-meter (and another case of beer)???
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Do you have a multi-meter (and another case of beer)???
    I think I have one for the house... notsure if it designed for batteries...
    what should I look for???
    Should I drink a case of beer and then use one???

I'd put money on the stator. IIR, you want to test the the three legs (1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 3) coming off the stator for 80+ volts @ 5krpm. I just went through stator problems myself. I suppose it could be a bad regulator/rect, but you could test both at the same time since they plug into the harness close to each other (at least on my 929 they do).

I could be the battery, but unlikely as mine has been deep cycled twice now and it still carries voltage within spec.

Why don't you come over to my garage and share some of that beer, cutie pie?
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Wed Sep 9th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Take it to Batteries Plus on Colorado Blvd just north of Yale. They will test it for you for free. If you need to replace it they are a lot cheaper than the dealership. I have one of their batteries in my bike.... 3 seasons and no problems.
    I play more games that Coleco!!

There is another Batteries Plus right at University and County Line right by Petsmart.

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    I'd put money on the stator. IIR, you want to test the the three legs (1 to 2, 1 to 3, 2 to 3) coming off the stator for 80+ volts @ 5krpm. I just went through stator problems myself. I suppose it could be a bad regulator/rect, but you could test both at the same time since they plug into the harness close to each other (at least on my 929 they do).

I could be the battery, but unlikely as mine has been deep cycled twice now and it still carries voltage within spec.

Why don't you come over to my garage and share some of that beer, cutie pie?
    Honey, I know you'll get me drunk and coax me into licking the lead based paint battery terminals!!! LOL.... I will test that tonight... If I have noticed something funny I will let you know and I'll bring over lots of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Take it to Batteries Plus on Colorado Blvd just north of Yale. They will test it for you for free. If you need to replace it they are a lot cheaper than the dealership. I have one of their batteries in my bike.... 3 seasons and no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    There is another Batteries Plus right at University and County Line right by Petsmart.
    Awesome, thanks... That is good to know after I have tested it with some nipple clamps tonight... I might just get a new battery - who knows(they are both about the same distance from my crib ). Any Idea on what it will cost - approx??? Carrie can you just bump start me instead ???

That Yamaha of yours is always having issues...lolz. My Charger is a Craftsman and has a jump start...You can borrow it!

07 GSXR 750
    07 GSXR 600 (RIP)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

It's an R6, what do you expect ? .... bwahahahaha.. !

Just kidding.. plsdontcrymkay
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by GixxerCarrie View Post
    That Yamaha of yours is always having issues...lolz. My Charger is a Craftsman and has a jump start...You can borrow it!
    I was hoping you would just give me a little push from time to time - you know, to get me going...

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    It's an R6, what do you expect ? .... bwahahahaha.. !!
    OMG!!! "She's A Racer Beetches" has spoken!!!! I am just glad you didn't blame it on my riding with dress shoes...

I had the same problem.

My issue was the rectifier and regulator. Apparently those are common issues of R6's

Take it to TFOG and they can run a simple diagnostic on it and get it all figured out for you.
    2005 Pure Sex R6

You know you wanna

Jon, drop me a PM and I'll give you the quick diagnostic procedure, all you need is a multimeter that will read DC volts 0-20, and AC volts 0-100.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

It could just be the battery. The OEM battery in my R6 only lasted three years.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodannyc View Post
    I had the same problem.

My issue was the rectifier and regulator. Apparently those are common issues of R6's

Take it to TFOG and they can run a simple diagnostic on it and get it all figured out for you.
    Thanks - hope it is just the battery

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Jon, drop me a PM and I'll give you the quick diagnostic procedure, all you need is a multimeter that will read DC volts 0-20, and AC volts 0-100.
    Just sent ya a pm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    It could just be the battery. The OEM battery in my R6 only lasted three years.
    I hope you are right. That is great to know - I kinda was thinking the OEM batteries were probably not made to last....

You'd probably end up paying the same (ish) for either a battery or a stator : /
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    You'd probably end up paying the same (ish) for either a battery or a stator : /
    Are like $60-100 bucks -- more???

Probably more like the $80-$120 range. I'm not sure what my stator was since it was replaced the first time by the gentleman I bought my bike from and the second time it was covered under parts warranty.

Edit: I guess Bike Bandits has my stator priced in the $300 area
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    It's an R6, what do you expect ? .... bwahahahaha.. !

Quote Originally Posted by Yodannyc View Post
    I had the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Jim hooked me up when the same thing happened with the rect/reg/battery.

my bike was doing the same thing, and finally it wouldnt even push start anymore.... it was my battery.

my stator is putting out ~14.3 at 5000rpm (which for the honda's is where you get full current from the stator) so i just replaced my battery and eureka! no more issues with the bike... now i just wish i wasnt stranded 65 miles from home when it did it >

So just grab a volt meter, jump the bike to get it started, and see how many volts are getting to the battery, if its less than 12... your stator, or regulator/rectifier is toast. if its readint 13.8 - 14.4 at ~5000rpm... just your battery, a 55$ fix (or less...stupid NAPA) for a size 9BS battery

hope this helps

Clinton
    2006 CBR 600rr Orange/Black

Just have the battery tested.If it's good then swap out the stator.
    On my R1:
    Battery-$60 at batteries plus
    Stator-$190 at coyote was cheapest (although I bought one with a friendly discount somewhere else)

test on testas

Sol Performance/ Preilli Race tires ...........Buy and sell take offs!!
    solperformance@gmail.com .............. www.2ndroll.com
    233. S. Madsion Ave. Loveland, CO 80537
    970.SOL.TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by chubster2003 View Post
    my bike was doing the same thing, and finally it wouldnt even push start anymore.... it was my battery.

my stator is putting out ~14.3 at 5000rpm (which for the honda's is where you get full current from the stator) so i just replaced my battery and eureka! no more issues with the bike... now i just wish i wasnt stranded 65 miles from home when it did it >

So just grab a volt meter, jump the bike to get it started, and see how many volts are getting to the battery, if its less than 12... your stator, or regulator/rectifier is toast. if its readint 13.8 - 14.4 at ~5000rpm... just your battery, a 55$ fix (or less...stupid NAPA) for a size 9BS battery

hope this helps

Clinton
    Quote Originally Posted by Scer View Post
    Just have the battery tested.If it's good then swap out the stator.
    On my R1:
    Battery-$60 at batteries plus
    Stator-$190 at coyote was cheapest (although I bought one with a friendly discount somewhere else)

test on testas
    Thanks Guys... I appreciate the help...