Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do when there aren't any jobs available?

What do you do when there aren't any jobs available?

The custom home market in Colorado has completely disappeared! I've contacted four job services specializing in Architect/Engineering type stuff and they have zero leads. The on-line job searches return, "sorry, no matches for your criteria." Not even a simple drafting position (which I would gladly take!!)

Anyone have a janitor position open? I'm not kidding!!

It's been a year since my last gig and it's time to start shitting a brick!!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: What do you do when there aren't any jobs available?

Take a lonnnngggg vacation out of country maybe Europe or Asia. Have fun and enjoy it while it last.

AKA "Devaclis"

I started going online to make money. Selling stuff on eGay and Craigslist. I looked all over for deals, bought stuff cheap, fixed it, polished it, got it working, then sold it online. Hell, I still do that for supplemental income.

You are great with technical stuff. Think of something easy that you know how to fix that most people do not. Sell that ability. It does work. Just think simple.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I'm looking for a pool boy.

Dean, the jobs are scarce for many people I know. Check indeed.com as well as other boards. Go through the yellow pages, and call every darn recruiting company in town and see who specializes in engineering. Get a point of contact and get your resume in. Then call your list of recruiters weekly. Do you have a good resume posted?
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Thats a tough industry to be in. You may want to look into other parts of the country for short term stuff. I know there are some places that need custom homes. Work there a bit and keep your eyes open back here.

Drafting positions

I work for a local manufacturer of tepered insulation, we posted 2 jobs 6 months ago.

over 3000 applicants were recieved in the next 3 days

We now have 2 architects doing drafting

perhaps east colfax?

The Best Ride could be the next ride

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen87 View Post
    Take a lonnnngggg vacation out of country maybe Europe or Asia. Have fun and enjoy it while it last.
    That's a great idea! Too bad I spent all my money during the last year trying to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I started going online to make money. Selling stuff on eGay and Craigslist. I looked all over for deals, bought stuff cheap, fixed it, polished it, got it working, then sold it online. Hell, I still do that for supplemental income.

You are great with technical stuff. Think of something easy that you know how to fix that most people do not. Sell that ability. It does work. Just think simple.
    Hmmm, that does give me an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    I'm looking for a pool boy.

Dean, the jobs are scarce for many people I know. Check indeed.com as well as other boards. Go through the yellow pages, and call every darn recruiting company in town and see who specializes in engineering. Get a point of contact and get your resume in. Then call your list of recruiters weekly. Do you have a good resume posted?
    I've been doing all that. ...and what's a good resume? All the recruiters tell me to not send a cover sheet. So that just leaves a simple list of jobs I've done.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL4LIFE!! View Post
    Thats a tough industry to be in. You may want to look into other parts of the country for short term stuff. I know there are some places that need custom homes. Work there a bit and keep your eyes open back here.
    If I wasn't married or hated my wife, that would already be done.

Quote Originally Posted by DorJammer View Post
    Drafting positions

I work for a local manufacturer of tepered insulation, we posted 2 jobs 6 months ago.

over 3000 applicants were recieved in the next 3 days

We now have 2 architects doing drafting
    That's exactly what I'm talking about!!
    Kim & Dean

Dean, try contacting construction companies. It may not be A&E but civil / structural work is not a stretch. As well CDOT & gubbmint agencies.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Email it to me Dean. You should already have my email addy. Cover letters are a thing of the past IMO. With the flood of resumes people receive, nobody cares about the blah blah on a cover letter. They are usually unread.

On a side note, if you know anything about simple pipes and drywall, I would pay you to handle a little problem I have. I could probably do it myself, but I don't like pipes, nor do I enjoy drywall.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

AKA "Devaclis"

Today is not a day to let pride get in the way of making money.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

"Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the 'gotta have it' scale." --- ZZ
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Thought about farming marijuana? Ya got a greenbelt behind the house right? Its what all the kids are doing
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Dean, try contacting construction companies. It may not be A&E but civil / structural work is not a stretch. As well CDOT & gubbmint agencies.
    I've done tons of civil and structural. I've looked everywhere I know to look. That's why I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on here.

Email it to me Dean.
    I'll sends it to ya.

On a side note, if you know anything about simple pipes and drywall, I would pay you to handle a little problem I have. I could probably do it myself, but I don't like pipes, nor do I enjoy drywall.
    I do all that stuff myself too. I would need a ton of small jobs like this to make it pay. I would rather just come over and help you out. I only started charging for tires because it got out of hand when I was doing it for free! Call me, we'll see what ya got and I'll start to learn how to charge my friends.

No pride here. Hand me a broom!!
    Kim & Dean

Hey Dean - I work in the CAD field – but in commercial construction rather than residential. Things are really slow on the commercial side also, but if I hear of anything CAD related, I’ll shoot you a PM. A year ago I could have pointed you to 4 or 5 places that were looking for someone with your skill set – that’s just not the case anymore. Hopefully things will turn around soon. Good Luck!

haha, if I charged my friends for the amount of CSC resumes I've redone, I could pay bills for six months. I don't like doing it though.

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Crunch View Post
    Hey Dean - I work in the CAD field – but in commercial construction rather than residential. Things are really slow on the commercial side also, but if I hear of anything CAD related, I’ll shoot you a PM. A year ago I could have pointed you to 4 or 5 places that were looking for someone with your skill set – that’s just not the case anymore. Hopefully things will turn around soon. Good Luck!
    Thanks, I appreciate that!

I guess I held on too long. There were a few times that things looked like they were going to turn around, but nothing ever panned out. I had a few offers for office jobs during that time and turned them down.

Hind sight... it's a mother fucker!!
    Kim & Dean

Dean-

Have you tried http://www.usajobs.gov/ for government type jobs? I'm guessing you have, but if not it may be worth a look.

Good luck.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Thursday the 17th.
    11:00 to 2:00.
    Crowne Plaza

Dress Sharply, be humble but confident, and before the conversation is over, make sure you already have your onsight interview scheduled with them! After you have as many follow-up interviews inked, as you've targeted, bounce.

Before you leave, return to the booths that you spoke to, and thank the people again, by name, for talking to you; explaining that you're going, but also that you're looking forward to "Next Monday", or whenever you're going in next. The most important thing to them, is be remembered as somebody who was friendly, real, and eager, and your 2nd interview will already have the table set for success.

You honestly can knock out sooo many competing candidates by doing those things (and of course knowing your shit). G'luck man.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I remember when the "dollar tree" first opened up when i was living in texas.... i popped in and they had some good shit on sale... what really caught my attention were mongoose bicycle parts. they had a ton of gel bike seats (not just the pads, but the whole seat!) frame mounted air pumps, pedals, etc...

I spent about $40 on everything there, took it home and turned out over a grand in profit on ebay. unfortunately their next shipment of crap was all garbage.

06 DR650SE

Like everyone else said, that industry is SUPER tough! I pretty much gave up on engineering. I'm waiting on results of a test to allow me to substitute teach in CA. I have a couple contacts out here that are teachers and will try to get me on as many preferred sub lists as they can in their schools. Pays $120/day in most districts in CA. Also, I'm talking a licensing course to sell life insurance. I know it sounds weird, but I actually know people doing quite well at it, and I'm talking 6 figures within the first 2 years, even in this economy. Pluss, it will give me some sales experienc in case I decide to try to get out of a desk and into engineering sales with my degree. Anyway, I just figured I'd have to think outside the box cuz there were 0 interviews inside the dammned box, ya know.
    "Leze Le Bon Temps Roulet"
    Let The Good Times Roll!!

I'll keep my eyes/ears open at work. We are a major EPCM and if they ever lift the hiring freeze there may be some civil work. Are you a designer or PE?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

You could always join the Border Patrol...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Mr. Sky_Blue is also a CAD guy looking for work. Civil Designer. We're up in the Fort and there is just *nothing* in the way of leads...

Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun View Post
    Like everyone else said, that industry is SUPER tough! I pretty much gave up on engineering. I'm waiting on results of a test to allow me to substitute teach in CA. I have a couple contacts out here that are teachers and will try to get me on as many preferred sub lists as they can in their schools. Pays $120/day in most districts in CA. Also, I'm talking a licensing course to sell life insurance. I know it sounds weird, but I actually know people doing quite well at it, and I'm talking 6 figures within the first 2 years, even in this economy. Pluss, it will give me some sales experienc in case I decide to try to get out of a desk and into engineering sales with my degree. Anyway, I just figured I'd have to think outside the box cuz there were 0 interviews inside the dammned box, ya know.
    My brother did the insurance thing for a few years. He was making $1,000/day on good days until the bottom fell out of that. He hasn't done it in over two years. This is back East, though.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I'll keep my eyes/ears open at work. We are a major EPCM and if they ever lift the hiring freeze there may be some civil work. Are you a designer or PE?
    I'm an architect not an engineer, so that would put me in the "designer" catagory. I've held many designer/draftsman positions for engineering firms.

If my last job was an architectural job, the engineer doesn't want to hire me. If the last job was engineering, the architect doesn't want to hire me. It's all lines and circles and text when you're drawing with a computer. Why can't they see that?
    Kim & Dean