View Poll Results: What is keeping you from racing?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awareness: What! I can race a sportbike in CO?

1 1.22%
  • Desire: Not interested (enough to prioritize it)

7 8.54%
  • Preparedness - ability: I'm not fast/safe/etc. enough

4 4.88%
  • Preparedness - equipt: I don't have the gear or bike for it

10 12.20%
  • Ongoing Cost: Can't afford entry, tires, gas, etc.

54 65.85%
  • Other: Please explain

6 7.32%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is keeping you from racing?

Re: What is keeping you from racing?

i have the equipment and gear and licence. It is just simply not affordable, and its not like i have a low paying job or one that doesnt allow me alot of time off. I am looking to sell my race bike right now for that reason, i just dont see it being affordable until im like 40 and then who knows if ill even want to do it then. I think drasticly lowering entry fees and so on would deff help with my personal perdiciment
    Knee2Ground Racing

I have everything except a bike and ability haha I have a girlfriend and a dad that love bikes and their noise and their smell. I'm doing a never ever day tomorrow, and I plan to start racing when I get out of college. I used to want to do so many things in high school (sports) that I never did because nobody would let me be a multi sport athlete in case I got hurt. I'm not letting that happen with something I have always wanted to do, which is racing.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    I have never been into sumo or MX but I dont see how it is any different in the family aspect. No matter what you are around loud bikes at a track all day.
    Biggest difference is there are kid classes so you can race as a family...if you can afford it. I raced RM SuMo Sportsman class and got enough contingency money back that it basically covered my son's and my entry fees plus some gas. I doubt I could have done that in MRA.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Everything can be bought used and you can save half the costs on alot of stuff. You dont need to have the biggest and best equipmment you can buy.

I raced a bike this year that is relatively stock with great success.
    When I decided to go MRA (before I raced SuMo) I got into my bike and setup cheaper than anyone I've heard of. My first race weekend ended up being a non-event due to I did R2SL the Friday before and ground the toesliders clean off my boots and ground holes thru my fairing at PPIR. Didn't imagine I would've passed tech with 2"x12" holes in my lower. Oh and my clutch fried (FZR issue and fairly cheap but pretty much new plates were required after a few hard launches, like I said nothing about racing is cheap).

I've been riding long enough to remember wanting a "race bike with lights" for a street bike and now that is what is available...if you can afford to toss a few thousand dollars down the racetrack and honestly, imho, most guys would be better taking race schools and learn how ride their bikes stock than throw all the aftermarket goodies on and still go slow.

I'm not against racing at all, I wish I could afford it or make the sacrifice to afford it but with family and all the things that go with it, racing is a LONG way down on the wish list.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieFlan View Post
    I have everything except a bike and ability haha I have a girlfriend and a dad that love bikes and their noise and their smell. I'm doing a never ever day tomorrow, and I plan to start racing when I get out of college. I used to want to do so many things in high school (sports) that I never did because nobody would let me be a multi sport athlete in case I got hurt. I'm not letting that happen with something I have always wanted to do, which is racing.

Thats the attitude I like seeing! Lol

That was mine when I started and I have sacrificed alot to be able to come out and race but wouldnt have it any other way...
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Biggest difference is there are kid classes so you can race as a family...if you can afford it. I raced RM SuMo Sportsman class and got enough contingency money back that it basically covered my son's and my entry fees plus some gas. I doubt I could have done that in MRA.

When I decided to go MRA (before I raced SuMo) I got into my bike and setup cheaper than anyone I've heard of. My first race weekend ended up being a non-event due to I did R2SL the Friday before and ground the toesliders clean off my boots and ground holes thru my fairing at PPIR. Didn't imagine I would've passed tech with 2"x12" holes in my lower. Oh and my clutch fried (FZR issue and fairly cheap but pretty much new plates were required after a few hard launches, like I said nothing about racing is cheap).

I've been riding long enough to remember wanting a "race bike with lights" for a street bike and now that is what is available...if you can afford to toss a few thousand dollars down the racetrack and honestly, imho, most guys would be better taking race schools and learn how ride their bikes stock than throw all the aftermarket goodies on and still go slow.

I'm not against racing at all, I wish I could afford it or make the sacrifice to afford it but with family and all the things that go with it, racing is a LONG way down on the wish list.
    If I had the ability to sponsor you you'd be riding at the Isle of Man. Case closed.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post

A dedicated bike is one part (which I am working on), but the rest of it adds up quickly as well.

Once you have a bike prepped for the track, you need to trailer it to the track, making it necessary to purchase a trailer, or bug a buddy every other weekend and hope you can borrow his.
    I haul mine in the back of my truck, and you can find open trailers for a few hundred bucks.
    Assuming you are going to be spending the weekend at the track, you'll need food and either a tent or money to spend on a hotel.
    Most people I know in CO have a tent, and it is definitely the most economical way to go.
    If you are running race tires, you will most likely want to use tire warmers, which would require a generator.
    I plugged into other peoples generators. All I did was ask on the forum and several offered. Now that I got my new generator I'm offering the same to anyone who needs it.
    Being that the sun is a bitch here in CO, and you are spending the weekend at the track, an easy up would be a nice thing to keep the sun off between races...
    Same as above, and it helps you mingle with other racers and meet cool people.
    many people I talk to keep there trailer stocked with all the necessary bike tools, and have a dedicated set that stays in the trailer to ensure nothing is forgotten on a race weekned. So now you have a full set of tools at home and at the track.
    I take mine in two small $15 toolboxes. I keep all the bike specific stuff in them at track and home.

You can do it as bare bones or as fancy as you want. I'm not in a nice toyhauler with ac and a garage, but I'm still out there loving it. And if you find a group of people you get along with, it is normal to pit together and help each other out.

I think that the impression out there is that racing is mega expensive because you have to go out and buy all the biggest and best. It definitely costs money, more than a Saturday ride for sure, but it can be done frugally. You build up the things you need slowly and make smart purchases.

I bought my race bike fully prepped for 2k. The only items i purchased my first season were tire warmers, a transponder and a new 1pc suit (which was a luxury, I already had a 2pc). All together I spent a grand to get ready, including license. So it can be done without filling up every credit card you own. If there is anybody who wants help with what they need to get started, or what needs to be done to their bike, contact me and I will be more than happy to help out.

I own a dirt bike so I can get my track fix for $10. I can throw the bike down the track, pick it up and keep riding. MX is not for everyone but it’s how I roll….for cheap.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Not enough bang for the buck, too much politics (in any race org.) and too many "professional" win at all costs riders. I found that I was not really having as much fun as I thought. It is a lot of work and money (no matter how cheap you do it) to do a 10 race weekend season, pretty much eats up your entire summer. I find that the stress of racing really wore on me and it became less and less fun, where as track days are relaxing and fun enough to get the speed fix, and although it isn't racing, when you throw down some hot laps, dicing it up with a person or 2 you are matched well with, it can be just as exhilarating as racing.
    Many people get blinded by the "glamor" of racing, it is just a natural progression of the track addiction to move to racing once they feel they are getting skilled enough that they start picking up speed and confidence doing track days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    If I had the ability to sponsor you you'd be riding at the Isle of Man. Case closed.
    Thank you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller
    Not enough bang for the buck, too much politics (in any race org.) and too many "professional" win at all costs riders. I found that I was not really having as much fun as I thought. It is a lot of work and money (no matter how cheap you do it) to do a 10 race weekend season, pretty much eats up your entire summer. I find that the stress of racing really wore on me and it became less and less fun, where as track days are relaxing and fun enough to get the speed fix, and although it isn't racing, when you throw down some hot laps, dicing it up with a person or 2 you are matched well with, it can be just as exhilarating as racing.
    Many people get blinded by the "glamor" of racing, it is just a natural progression of the track addiction to move to racing once they feel they are getting skilled enough that they start picking up speed and confidence doing track days.
    That is something else I started thinking of, trackdays there are a few guys who will be "racing" for first place but for the most part everyone is expecting to be at work on Monday. Racing you the forty year old novice who thinks he can get sponsored by the factory and will take some extremely dumb chances to get that plastic trophy.
    Last edited by BigE; Sun Sep 13th, 2009 at 08:07 AM.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Old decrepit body and less testosterone than 20 years ago.

nicely put

The Best Ride could be the next ride

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

The main vote on the poll seems to be the on going cost of racing. So I thought I would add my .02

Everyone is correct when they say it is expensive. The bike, gear, travel, entry fees, tires, trailer etc.. etc... If you are not careful, it can consume a life time of savings (or credit card debt). However, there are a few things I have learned over the years about keeping the costs in check

First, you don't need to have the latest 2009 GSXR 1000 with a superbike motor built by Clarkie and Ohlins gas charged forks from someone like Thermosman. The reality is that you can pick up a very competitive bike for around $3k. Look at used tire warmers ~$200. Look at different websites for left over last years gear (ebay has great deals on name brand high quality helmets, 888 Fast lap sells very nice quality leathers for >$500 and will give you a free set of gloves..etc)

So yes I can understand how ~$4000.00 can be expensive to invest in..trust me I get it. But the reality is that once you have done this you can race on the cheap. As I have told some of you in person this is my take on it.......

1) Pair up with a buddy to split the cost of the generator, tools,travel, food etc.. I think for the last race in HPR my personal travel expenses were less than $50 which included food and gas

2) Transportation to the track can be had in a simple pick up or a Moto tote or a simple harbor freight trailer...you don't need a $60k toyhauler and a F350 to get to the track

3) You don't need $20 per gallon race fuel...pump gas is fine

4) Entry fees in the MRA CAN be as low as $50 per weekend. For that money you get Saturday morning practice (4 - 20 minutes sessions) Endurance practice (1- 15 or 20 minute session) The half hour endurance racing and you can do the Sunday morning practice if you wish...for those of you that have done track days ... this is ALOT of track time

5) Tires...if you are new or on a budget RUN TAKE OFFS!!. There are a few higher end racers in the MRA that will only put 7 or 14 laps on a set of tires. These take offs can be bought for $150 (sometimes less depending on who you are dealing with) with mounting and balance. Ask racedk6 about this. If I am not mistaken he did this all year and ran near the front. And as another example...I used the same set of tires for 3 race weekends and 5 trackdays...were they complete trash when I was done..you better believe it...but I got my money's worth.

So the overall point I am trying to make..is that if you want to keep expenses in check you can you just need to be creative. Is it still expensive..sure. But also realize when you are done racing..you can sell the bike, generator, tools, warmers etc... etc... etc..

Edit - Oh and one point I forgot to make. If you don't mind spending the weekend at the track, you can sign up for the Endurance race...pay your $50 do your race and practice. Then cornerwork on Sunday..and get paid $50 (i think it is $50) and your entry fees are covered.....remember creativity
    Last edited by jplracing; Sun Sep 13th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post

Edit - Oh and one point I forgot to make. If you don't mind spending the weekend at the track, you can sign up for the Endurance race...pay your $50 do your race and practice. Then cornerwork on Sunday..and get paid $50 (i think it is $50) and your entry fees are covered.....remember creativity
    Actually you can make even more if you become a regular

Board Newbie

Thank you one and all for taking this poll and expressing your views. In the first day there were 50 responses. Please
    keep them coming.

I realize now that my hope had been to see the majority of responses be for one of the 'Preparedness' categories, if only because the 'Ongoing Costs' concerns are a tougher nut to crack. It may be feasible to accommodate the former by considering changes to the MRA's rulebook that address real or perceived issues of rider and bike prep. The latter really comes down to a perception of value - there is no question that racing is more expensive than track days. The question is whether or not you are one of those for whom it makes sense to race.

Ive started a follow-on thread here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=35419 in order to try and document what the MRA could do to modify your perception of readiness and / or value.

For many of you this may very well result in convincing you that racing is not worth it, but at least you will know.
    Chris Anderson
    MRA #538

5) Tires...if you are new or on a budget RUN TAKE OFFS!!. There are a few higher end racers in the MRA that will only put 7 or 14 laps on a set of tires. These take offs can be bought for $150 (sometimes less depending on who you are dealing with) with mounting and balance. Ask racedk6 about this. If I am not mistaken he did this all year and ran near the front. And as another example...I used the same set of tires for 3 race weekends and 5 trackdays...were they complete trash when I was done..you better believe it...but I got my money's worth.
    This is very true the only time I ever ran new tires is when contingency money paid for a new set. That only happened twice all year. The last novice GTO race I went from 36thish to 6th with a set of tires that had 6 races and 3 trackdays on them.

This years Michelin DOT tire will last a very long time. So you dont need to replace them every weekend.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Utter and total fear......and age.....and equipment....and know how.

Guess you can't really take this one seriously.
    Last edited by Pandora-11; Sun Sep 13th, 2009 at 09:03 PM.

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    Utter and total fear......and age.....and equipment....and know how.

Guess you can't really take this one seriously.
    Just be like your kittah avatar! Tuck in and gas it, when you get to a corner...turn! Everything will work out fine!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Old decrepit body and less testosterone than 20 years ago.
    Hasn't stopped me. Yet.

I need the entire off-season to recuperate though...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Money for the track bike and money to for the supplies & gear (trailer, truck, bike mods, fairings, etc.) and money for the ongoing cost.

I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by vort3xr6; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post

One of the main reasons I have never raced before this is lack of funds for ongoing costs. The other reason is the paddock in most other places seems very pretentious and not very friendly. Only one track I have been to where I truly felt like it was a group event of people having fun. I know I can't cast judgment when I have not been in the race scene here but it is something that worry's me.

I need warmers, EZup, TIRES!, borrow some generator plug ins and I am ready to go. Do I need to upgrade my suspension? When does the season start next year? Also I am completely solo in this so if anybody wants to "take me under their wing", it would be greatly appreciated.
    Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...except that Racedk6 guy.....he is a dick. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I will be starting racing next year. I graduated from college recently and moved out here without knowing anybody and just got a decent job. I don't make that good of money yet but I have a good bike with track body work on it that is dependable that will be track only starting this winter. I have a 2 piece suit and bike stands.

Best thing you can do is watch the http://www.mra-racing.org/ website and post up on there as well. The MRA is like a big family with this being my first year racing ever i was a little worried about this as well. But I got a welcome from alot of people and my "race" family grew every weekend.

Warmers you can get used for pretty good prices. EZup you can get almost anywhere just price shop. Tires run take offs, you can get them from trackside vendors or just about any MRA racer. Dont forget to get a transponder, you need one of those to be scored.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Vort

First thing...ever since I began racing I have always found the people in the MRA to be very approachable and easy to get along with...especially that Racedk6 guy.....he is an awesome guy and a great racer. However, you do need to realize that people do take it seriously and sometimes get wrapped up in there own day and its problems. But everyone there is more than willing to lend a hand you just have to realize what is going on with them first.

Do you "need" to upgrade your suspension...no. Is it a mod that will show positive results .. yes. So that is up to you

Normally the "season" starts with the race school which is held in March. The first race is normally at the end of April or beginning of May. However, don't expect the dates to be released until late fall early winter.

In terms of some one showing you the ropes...normally I put together a "intro to roadracing clinic" in Feb or March of every year. I have been asked to coordinate more than one and to schedule something along the lines of one this fall, mid winter and early spring. But usually after that there are several people looking to "buddy up" so keep your ears open

In the meantime if you need questions answered please let me know I will help out were I can

Joe

Awww thanks Joe
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

ok newbee question.. whats a transponder used for?

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL4LIFE!! View Post
    ok newbee question.. whats a transponder used for?
    The transponders are used to document all lap times and positions.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing