View Poll Results: What is keeping you from racing?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awareness: What! I can race a sportbike in CO?

1 1.22%
  • Desire: Not interested (enough to prioritize it)

7 8.54%
  • Preparedness - ability: I'm not fast/safe/etc. enough

4 4.88%
  • Preparedness - equipt: I don't have the gear or bike for it

10 12.20%
  • Ongoing Cost: Can't afford entry, tires, gas, etc.

54 65.85%
  • Other: Please explain

6 7.32%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is keeping you from racing?

Re: What is keeping you from racing?

I say fuck, i'm going to the MRA school next year. And build up slowly (buy what I need during the off season). If I dont have the $$$ to race I just dont race. But imma try and do it anyway. Money comes and goes. Hell just to be in 2 races would make me happy. Either way I look at it motorcycling in general is just expensive.

I really dont think buying a trailer is a MUST. I'll take take offs. and anything else I can find for cheap. As far as taking my only bike and making it a track bike.......so be it. After my trackday yesterday, riding streets just doesn't seem as fun. In fact I barely ride street unless theres a bike night to go to or a group ride. I prefer the track now. Fun, safer, and I found my limits that I couldn't find in the streets.

As for the on going cost, I just take one thing at a time. It took me 3 months just to get gear up for one track day.

MRA here I come.
    Last edited by Stank Juic3; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Things I've learned:

Slower really is faster.
    Skill, looks better than fast.
    Work on one thing at a time.
    Chin up and out.
    Get the "line". It works for a reason.

White plate guys, actually know their stuff. Start listening

Ego will get you no where in this sport. If you need a bigger penis, get another fix.
    The support for a new racer is GRAND. Ask, and you shall receive.
    The people of the MRA are the most amazing supportive group of people I have ever had the luxery of knowing.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

What's keeping me from racing? Nothing, really. Just want to do another season of track days personally.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    What's keeping me from racing? Nothing, really. Just want to do another season of track days personally.
    That is a good choice for sure. I did this before my first year of racing. I told myself I want to have top 10 lap times before I give it a go. Well I hit my goal and decided to race. Well I did all this on a 1000, switching to a 600 this year was a real challenge to get up to speed on.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    White plate guys, actually know their stuff. Start listening

The support for a new racer is GRAND. Ask, and you shall receive.
    The people of the MRA are the most amazing supportive group of people I have ever had the luxery of knowing.
    This is what brought me out to the races. It is also why I keep coming back. The support for another rider is unparallel, it is crazy what people are ready to offer up so you can get out and race. Sometimes all you have to do is ask.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

I'm looking forward to joining the MRA next season. Budgeting is definitely key. I sacrificed my track experience this year to hopefully participate in full next year with a seperate track bike.

Weighing your priorities is necessary. Sacrafices of other recreational hobbies, trips, pleasures, etc will pay off next year for me. If motorcycling is your absolute passion, I think anyone can be capable of finding a way to make it happen.

I may be one goofy looking privateer come next year, but I know nothing is going to match the excitement & enjoyment of racing on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    That is a good choice for sure. I did this before my first year of racing. I told myself I want to have top 10 lap times before I give it a go.
    Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at. Having a lot of practice time in a noncompetitive environment would make me feel even more comfortable when I decide to go do it.

You have also made some very valid points as far as cost goes. It always kills me when people think they need Ohlins this and Brembo that. Hell, I can pull some respectable times on 2ct's and a day or two at that particular track.

And Drew can probably pull mid-pack lap times as is. Sumbitch.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Drew, whoo hoo
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Tue Sep 15th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Not a damn thang! Would love to do a few more track days though, before start of next season. Hopefully I will be able to line up on the grid next yr. As for the bike and money, it will be my 1 and only. For money, hell I spend enough on nothing and never know where it goes. At least racing I will be able to enjoy it and remember why I'm spending it (to have a lot of fun).

SPONSoR ME AND I WILL RACE... haha. COST is the biggest factor!!!!
    Cheers,

John Garcia / (720) 980-8900
    Owner/ LoveAndPolish.com - (Custom Motorcycles and Polishing)

Sponsors

LoveandPolish.com (Custom Motorcycles and Polishing)
    Motoforza.cz (Race Bodywork)
    COMCAST Business Class (Commerical / Small Biz Services) Ask me how you can get a $50 referral for new Comcast Business subscribers....

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    <snip> ...how to enjoy your day.

Not EVERYONE can pit next to you to reap the full benefits hun...

Racing "in general" is expensive by nature. I have been around it all my life...jet skis, cars, drags, circle track, hydro-plane boats, airplanes, NASCAR, Indy, F1.....just about any thing that you can put flammable fuel in and make it go faster. There is a common thread in all of it…. Racing in general is a “family business” and your commitment is the key. How far will you take it???
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

$$$$ =
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    $$$$ =
    Not true!!! If sportbike racing is bad business, explain Michael Jordan to me.
    I play more games that Coleco!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazitat View Post
    Not a damn thang! Would love to do a few more track days though, before start of next season. Hopefully I will be able to line up on the grid next yr. As for the bike and money, it will be my 1 and only. For money, hell I spend enough on nothing and never know where it goes. At least racing I will be able to enjoy it and remember why I'm spending it (to have a lot of fun).
    This is a great point. Most people spend so much money on useless junk through out the year that if we had a better budget we would be able to race. My biggest thing is food. I am on the run so much that I spend a ton of money every month on fast food. My wifes is shopping. We were looking at this the other day because I told her I wanted to race when I came back from this deployment. If I cut my fast food in half and she cut down on her shopping we would both be able to race and still have left over money. For those that want to do it we will find a way.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gainer View Post
    Not true!!! If sportbike racing is bad business, explain Michael Jordan to me.
    Hobbies and Businesses can be differentiated.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    And Drew can probably pull mid-pack lap times as is. Sumbitch.
    Thanks Zach (and Terri (Sp?)). We will certainly see! Looking forward to some track days with ya next year!

Okay I am looking through all the MRA materials and compiling a cost list in order to start racing for a first time novice racer.

Assuming you have a working street bike. The next step would be to race prep it according to MRA standards.

Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
    Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.
    A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250
    MRA Race school - $200
    MRA competition license - $100
    Transponder - $250
    AMA membership (why?) - $40
    Tire Warmers - $250
    General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200

SO. Before a novice rider can even step FOOT on the grid, they have to shell out somewhere around the vicinity of $1800.

For me. To dump that much money into an activity that I do not even know is worth it yet because I have never done it, is logically asinine.

If you really want to see more novice racers on the grid. Stagger the costs depending on the classes. If it really does go to Nov-A Nov-B Nov-C. Make it a cost ladder all the way up to expert.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Insurance reasons.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Has anyone looked at the budget for MRA?

Notice their Board get's paid?!?!?
    They pay their corner workers!?!? (make racers do it, or pay a penalty in points)
    The ROR payout is HUGE.

Seems to me that there are some money pits in the org that could easily be remedied. Sure these things are nice, but unnecessary especially considering how the fate of MRA is in question...

Logically asinine??

Racing motorcycles or even just doing track days is totally asinine if you really think about it. Why in the hell would anyone in their right mind do either? Hauling ass basically as fast as you can down the straight, braking so hard your eyes nearly pop out. Then you drag your knee on the ground on purpose! Then we do this with a bunch of other crazy people at the same time. So again I ask with the hell would anyone even buy a sport bike to ride on the track let alone race??

Because its FUN!

If you want something bad enough, you will do what ever it takes to do it.
    When I first started racing in 1995 I did the last 3 races of the year. I loved it and it was something I really wanted to do more of.
    Problem was I couldnt really afford to do a whole season. My solution was to get a second job. Did it suck working two jobs for awhile? Yep but I didnt mis a race weekend and it was all worth it.

(Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
    Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.(

I think it can be done for half this much if you buy used

(A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250)

This is money you would spend if you are just doing track days

(MRA Race school - $200)

A good value even if you never race if it helps you become a better rider

(MRA competition license - $100)

You can get a 1 day license for $50

(Transponder - $250)

You can rent one for $50
    (AMA membership (why?) - $40)

Because we are sanctioned by the AMA and we get our insurance through them. Remember when Matty got hit by a race bike a Pueblo a couple of years ago? The AMA insurance settled the law suit against the MRA

(Tire Warmers - $250)

You dont have to have tire warmers

(General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200)

Hook up with a friend or group of friends, lots of racers share.

If you want something bad enough you can make it happen if you want to.

Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Ninja'd by Mike!!!!! Listen to him, he knows a lot more about this than I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Race Prep - minimum $600 (case covers, safety wired, track bodywork)
    Some stuff people may already have on it but most stuff probably not.
    A decent set up tires to last you a couple races - $250
    MRA Race school - $200
    MRA competition license - $100
    Transponder - $250
    Tire Warmers - $250
    General Pit equipment necessary for racing - $200

For me. To dump that much money into an activity that I do not even know is worth it yet because I have never done it, is logically asinine.
    You don't have to get everything at once. I've slowly been getting stuff here and there as I go.

Race prep- watch ebay, wera, mra and even here to get cheap used stuff to help prep your bike. If you try to buy it all at once, it's expensive, so keep your eyes open. Cheap stuff is out there, it's just not always around the second you want it.

tires- be friendly and meet some of the current racers. fast people like new rubber. Many times they will sell good take-off's for $50-$75. Unless you're doing 2 min @ HPR, take offs can last you a couple of races. $250 can get you five sets of tires if your smart.

tire warmers- same thing. Racers that have been in the biz for awhile get new ones, which means they have old ones that still work. Talk to people and let them know what you are looking for. Many MRA guys are more than willing to help someone get in the sport.

General pit equip- make friends. I know some really great people that are usually willing to let me pit with them. Just be willing to return a favor when they need it. You don't necessarily need a generator, air compressor, tools, easy up, etc... the first day on the track.

It is possible to make it cheaper if you are smart. It is alot more start up cash than knitting as a hobbie, but then it's just a matter of maintaining. And if you've been out on the track, you probably have an idea of what it will be like, so you're not going into it completely blind. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Has anyone looked at the budget for MRA?

Notice their Board get's paid?!?!?
    They pay their corner workers!?!? (make racers do it, or pay a penalty in points)
    The ROR payout is HUGE.

Seems to me that there are some money pits in the org that could easily be remedied. Sure these things are nice, but unnecessary especially considering how the fate of MRA is in question...
    Some good questions.
    Have you been to a MRA general meeting?

Board member pay was cut in half and even before that it wouldnt equal minimum wage for the hours put in.

How exactly would you have racers work corners? If a racer has several races throughout the day how could he work a given turn? How much more time would it take to shuttle racers to and from turns throughout the day to get this done.

ROR payout is subsidized by by the MRA but we also have to pay a ROR surcharge when we enter which goes to the prize money.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Why are the board members even paid?

Because the MRA has gotten too big. What do I base this on? The fact you guys are having a hard time keeping a pulse. If it's sustainable, awesome. If it's to the point where polls are being posted to ask about why people don't race - the respondents come back nearly unanimously citing cost - and the organizers are getting paid - seems to me a new list of priorities should be created.

How to get racers working corners?

Make it mandatory to work three races a year. I doubt ANYONE is running EVERY race EVERY weekend. It may not be easy, but seems like a pretty simple way to cut costs which in turn reduce costs for racers...

ROR Payout?

Why not have the purse entirely supported by entries? Again, easy way to cut costs.

There are reasons you guys do everything you do, I won't contest that. But chatter on the CSC indicates some issues with participation. This particular thread has quite clearly indicated that cost is the biggest issue. So, while you may have reasons/excuses to do things the way you always have, maybe it's time to listen to suggestions and realize that change might help...