View Poll Results: What is keeping you from racing?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awareness: What! I can race a sportbike in CO?

1 1.22%
  • Desire: Not interested (enough to prioritize it)

7 8.54%
  • Preparedness - ability: I'm not fast/safe/etc. enough

4 4.88%
  • Preparedness - equipt: I don't have the gear or bike for it

10 12.20%
  • Ongoing Cost: Can't afford entry, tires, gas, etc.

54 65.85%
  • Other: Please explain

6 7.32%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What is keeping you from racing?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: What is keeping you from racing?

FWIW Brennham, all novice racers are required to work off novice hours. Some do work corners, others do a variety of other tasks. And some have paid cash towards the cornerworkers in order to replace working novice hours.

Corner workers SHOULD be paid. They carry a great responsibility out there for the safety and concern for all involved. It's not a light task.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    How to get racers working corners?

Make it mandatory to work three races a year. I doubt ANYONE is running EVERY race EVERY weekend. It may not be easy, but seems like a pretty simple way to cut costs which in turn reduce costs for racers...
    That would be a logistical nightmare if I understand what you're saying. Novices are currently required to do 4 hours of service work and many fulfill that by doing corner work.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    There are reasons you guys do everything you do, I won't contest that. But chatter on the CSC indicates some issues with participation. This particular thread has quite clearly indicated that cost is the biggest issue. So, while you may have reasons/excuses to do things the way you always have, maybe it's time to listen to suggestions and realize that change might help...
    I agree that everything should be looked at but you need to differentiate between startup costs and recurring expenses. The startup costs (bike, gear, etc) are large and have little to do with the MRA. And it's the startup costs that people are concerned with. The only recurring costs that the MRA has any control over is the race fees and that is usually of the order of $200 if you run a couple of races.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

In no way was I attempting to diminish the value of corner workers. Further, I never meant to imply that any suggestion of mine was THE answer. Just throwing them out there...

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

What's keeping me from racing? NOTHING. I'm griddin up next year bitches!
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

The problem the MRA is having is not unique to us. I have spoke to board members from WERA, CMRA, SMRI, USBA and ASMA race clubs. All of these clubs are having low rider turn out.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    For me. To dump that much money into an activity that I do not even know is worth it yet because I have never done it, is logically asinine.
    It’s obvious that those that have done this before know far more short cuts to get a bike on a track than those that have haven’t. This is knowledge from experience.

However, vort3xr6 question is still valid. Why would anyone shell out anything on something they have never done before?

After all this is not for everyone and the jump from Canyon Rider to Sportsman Class is a huge one both is cost and effort. There has to be a progression of steps that need to be taking before one should take a start light.

So this discussion should be about "what is the progression from Canyon Rider to MRA Racer?"
    Last edited by Snowman; Wed Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Step one: Go to a Chicane Track Day.
    Bike Requirements:
    Bike should be in good mechanical condition
    All coolant is to be drained and replaced with straight water - 1 Gallon Distilled Water $1.50
    Tires should have at least 50% tread remaining
    Brake pads should have at least 50% lining remaining
    All lights disconnected and taped over – 1 Roll of Blue Painters Tape $5.00
    Mirrors removed or folded back and taped over

Attire Requirements:
    Textile 2 PC suits that zip together all the way around at the waist
    All riders are required to wear a back protector -
    A full-face helmet made in the last 5 years
    Motorcycle specific boots that extend above the ankles
    Motorcycle specific gloves that have hard armor over the knuckles and extend beyond the wrist.

This can cost you depending on how many of the requirment you have already, anywhere from $50.00 (if you’re lucky enough to score a Never Ever Pass) to around $600.00 if you
    need things like back protectors, boots and a new suit.

Step two?
    Last edited by Snowman; Wed Sep 16th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It’s obvious that those that have done this before know far more short cuts to get a bike on a track than those that have haven’t. This is knowledge from experience.

However, vort3xr6 question is still valid. Why would anyone shell out anything on something they have never done before?

After all this is not for everyone and the jump from Canyon Rider to Sportsman Class is a huge one both is cost and effort. There has to be a progression of steps that need to be taking before one should take a start light.

So the discuss should be what is the progression from Canyon Rider to MRA Racer?

That is why we are considering a "super street" type of class. Where someone could race only that class with minimul bike prep, reduced entry fee. No transponder, no contingency, no points or trophies.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    That is why we are considering a "super street" type of class. Where someone could race only that class with minimul bike prep, reduced entry fee. No transponder, no contingency, no points or trophies.
    What kind of training would this class require?
    Just the basics safety training class like those offered by Chicane or to racer school needed by the MRA?

MRA Racer No.427

I didn't plan to race this year but as I ran more and more track days and my lap times became more respectable I dove in. Track days are one of the absolute best things anyone can do on a bike, and for some that will be as far as they need to go.

If you aren't someone who enjoys competition and the adrenaline charge that goes with it you probably shouldn't race. For me it is about challenging myself to improve my lap times and improve my skills and the satisfaction from doing both makes the cost a moot point. If you love something you find a way to do it even if that means spending less money on other things and saving up over the off-season.

Everyone talks about cost cost cost...what is the cost if you are pushing yourself in the canyons? Yes there are inherent dangers in racing but there is also a safe runoff area, no cars or trucks coming at you, cornerworkers and EMT's on site, and requirements for gear and bikes. I have two kids under 4 years old, every time I ride the street I realize it is not a wise choice for me anymore, I can manage my risk much better in a race or track environment. I crashed at 70mph in a turn at HPR and walked away with a few bruises and aches, I doubt there is anywhere on the street I would have been so lucky.

The MRA is a club and like any club there will always be disagreement about certain things among its members, if you have issues with someone and want to take your ball and go home so be it, seems a bit immature to me that these issues can't be worked out. Overall as someone new to the group I think the members are a great bunch of people and I look forward to a full season next year and meeting many more new friends.

Anyone who has an interest in racing can send me a note and I will be happy to tell them what I did to get started and what they will need to run next year.
    Slow and fat, but entertaining...

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Step one: Go to a Chicane Track Day.
    Bike Requirements:
    Bike should be in good mechanical condition
    All coolant is to be drained and replaced with straight water - 1 Gallon Distilled Water $1.50
    Tires should have at least 50% tread remaining
    Brake pads should have at least 50% lining remaining
    All lights disconnected and taped over – 1 Roll of Blue Painters Tape $5.00
    Mirrors removed or folded back and taped over

Attire Requirements:
    Textile 2 PC suits that zip together all the way around at the waist
    All riders are required to wear a back protector -
    A full-face helmet made in the last 5 years
    Motorcycle specific boots that extend above the ankles
    Motorcycle specific gloves that have hard armor over the knuckles and extend beyond the wrist.

This can cost you depending on how many of the requirment you have already, anywhere from $50.00 (if you’re lucky enough to score a Never Ever Pass) to around $600.00 if you
    need things like back protectors, boots and a new suit.

Step two?
    Chris, thanks for opening this subject, Randall, thanks for making Chicane step 1.

Let me add that in many cases I have gear available to borrow. Many riders have come without a suit and borrowed one of mine, many have come without back protectors, or proper gloves and I have them to lend. It REALLY is possible to do one of my days on a budget.

I'm in support of a superstreet class in the MRA. Something with bike prep that mimics trackday prep should be sufficient. Gear requirements will have to (in my opinion) step up to a full leather suit.

Rider training is where I think it gets a little messy, but why, if you're interested wouldn't you sign up for an MRA race school? The one at the beginning of the year is $200 and includes and evening of classroom work along with a full day of riding and a mock race. They are available at my trackdays several times a season for reasonable money as well.

Rider training is the most valuable thing we can do. It's worth far more performance than almost any mod you could do to the bike.

so, in my perfect world

Step 1 - Chicane Trackday
    Step 2 - Trackday with MRA race school
    Step 3 - Superstreet class for 1 season
    Step 4 - Novice year
    Step 5 - Advance to expert

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

There are a lot of ways to race on a smaller budget:

1) Race and older bike

I know, we all want to have a 2010 under our butts, but the truth is that there are a lot of good bikes, already race prepped out there for reasonable money. There are a multitude of them on the MRA forums right now for $4000 and under. These bikes are essentially ready to go. Change the oil, put on some new tires and go racing. For 80-90% of us the ability of the bike is NOT the limiting factor in our lap times, it's the ability of the rider.

2) Race endurance

Simply the best bargain in the raceday. $50 entry fee for several practice sessions and a 1/2 hour race.

3) Bring picnic lunch

4) Race out of the back of your truck or get an open flatbed trailer

There are a bunch of folks doing this with great success. Erik Cromer comes to mind. No generator, he runs his warmers off of an inverter on his car battery. No enclosed trailer, he has a flatbed. Dion Eads comes to mind as well, he raced a 1999 R6 this year with great success and totally on a budget.

5) Team up with a racer who uses new tires to buy their take off's for the season

You can cut your tire cost by about 60%, and still have reasonably good tires to race on. There are many racers in the club chasing money and championships that use tires for one or two sprint races and then are done with them.

6) You don't have to go it alone!

There are many many club members willing to help new riders, all you have to do is ask. Tap into the experience they have with direct questions. It's difficult for an experienced racer to provide good advice when the statement they are approached with is "I need help". What do you need help with? Do you want someone to ride behind you and give you advice on line selection? Do you need assistance in picking a good bike? The more specific you are with your question the better I would be able to help you out.

I didn't vote in the poll because there are more reasons than I can choose.

1) I don't think that I am prepared ability wise...I would want to race only when I can bring my A game and actually compete, maybe kick some ass and win a race. With that I am going to do another summer's worth of Scott's trackdays. Maybe pay for some professional help.

2) I am certainly not prepared as far as bike and equipment go. That I hope to get sorted out over the winter/next season. Depends of finances as well. Gear I have everything. Between Jon and I, I believe that we can get this part sorted out without spending an arm and a leg.

3) Sustained cost of racing. I don't make that much money and I can't prioritize racing and the associated costs. When I do start racing it will be only very part time. Maybe sometime in the future, I can make it a bigger priority.

I can say that the desire is there, without a doubt. I want to race, but I want to do it when I feel 100% positive about it, without any doubts.

With all that said, I will wait patiently for next season to come.

What kind of training would this class require?
    Just the basics safety training class like those offered by Chicane or to racer school needed by the MRA?
    I would assume some type of MRA training. The chicane days do not go over everything that the MRA does. Like format, pre grid, and probably a couple other things as well. But I am not 100% positive on this.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    Chris, thanks for opening this subject, Randall, thanks for making Chicane step 1.

Let me add that in many cases I have gear available to borrow. Many riders have come without a suit and borrowed one of mine, many have come without back protectors, or proper gloves and I have them to lend. It REALLY is possible to do one of my days on a budget.

I'm in support of a superstreet class in the MRA. Something with bike prep that mimics trackday prep should be sufficient. Gear requirements will have to (in my opinion) step up to a full leather suit.

Rider training is where I think it gets a little messy, but why, if you're interested wouldn't you sign up for an MRA race school? The one at the beginning of the year is $200 and includes and evening of classroom work along with a full day of riding and a mock race. They are available at my trackdays several times a season for reasonable money as well.

Rider training is the most valuable thing we can do. It's worth far more performance than almost any mod you could do to the bike.

so, in my perfect world

Step 1 - Chicane Trackday
    Step 2 - Trackday with MRA race school
    Step 3 - Superstreet class for 1 season
    Step 4 - Novice year
    Step 5 - Advance to expert

I think leather should be required no matter what, especially if you are gridding up. To much crap happens in turn one all the time that it would be irresponsible on the riders parts not have them.

I also think the super street class should be limited to half of the race round instead of a full season. But that is a different discussion
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Quote Originally Posted by nattynoo View Post
    I didn't vote in the poll because there are more reasons than I can choose.

1) I don't think that I am prepared ability wise...I would want to race only when I can bring my A game and actually compete, maybe kick some ass and win a race. With that I am going to do another summer's worth of Scott's trackdays. Maybe pay for some professional help.
    Professional help is always the best thing you can do for yourself. Racing to me is 80% mental and 20% physical. IMO you have to be pretty head stong when coming into this sport. If you wanna go out and fight for the win!!
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    Professional help is always the best thing you can do for yourself. Racing to me is 80% mental and 20% physical. IMO you have to be pretty head stong when coming into this sport. If you wanna go out and fight for the win!!
    That leaves me out then.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Racing is awesome. When people say going fast on the street is stupid, they fail to recognize the people they are talking to and the cost for a simple trackday. Cost of getting there round trip (100) tires for 2 trackdays BT-002 RS mounted (260) fuel for the bike (30) Trackday (150) food (10). It is an expensive day. Cost of pushing yourself OVER the limit to find your limit(?) No health insurance because you are a broke college student ( in debt) Since riding the track I have fell in love with it. Unfortunatly, racin is something that will have to wait, even though it lies deep in my heart. Watching people on trackdays think they are Nicky Hayden and wiping out after they make an inside move in a corner (priceless) Then going home 2 sessions in the day is pretty good to. Going fast is awesome, just can't afford to make a mistake going faster. Trying to afford 3 trackdays a year will have to be good enough for now
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

For me the deal breaker is not being able to go for distance stoppies on straits, oh and I have no clue how to "ride" a bike

I haven't seen a single wheelie OR stoppie out of you yet. DSF...bah!

Ha, you didn't work turn 4 at the last race at HPR. Wheelies all the way down the straight.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    I think that's what racing is all about. Why dump a bunch of money into something that first off, you're not passionate about. And secondly, not able to truly compete? I want the skills to actually be able to do really well before I put my hard earned money upfront and race for a title.