View Poll Results: Which of these, offered on some sort of trial basis, would entice you to try racing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's all got to be free

7 18.42%
  • The $/lap has to be close to a track day's ratio

11 28.95%
  • I can afford the price of one track day to find out

11 28.95%
  • Other (please describe)

9 23.68%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would get you onto a race grid?

Board Newbie

What would get you onto a race grid?

DISCLAIMER: THERE IS NO ENDORSEMENT WHATSOEVER FROM THE MRA FOR THIS POLL OR RANKING

There are many in the MRA that would like to know if we can increase our ranks by addressing the concerns of curious street or track day riders. This thread is a follow-on to: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=35404, where the cost of racing was seen as holding people back much more than the second choice, individual readiness. I created this poll to try and give me a handle on the value equation that is in your heads.

Since Preparedness was the second most popular vote from the other poll, I have come up with some options that
    aren't either/or choices; they may all be important to you. Rank as many or as few of these as you care to and I will keep score of their relative weights.

a.) Relax rider prep to track day standards
    b.) Relax bike prep to track day standards
    c.) Restrict on-track behavior to lessen the drama (e.g., no passing on the inside of a corner)
    d.) Assign a current racer to each first-timer as a big brother/sister
    e.) Other (please describe)
    Chris Anderson
    MRA #538

Re: What would get you onto a race grid?

I understand that the races can't be free, (although that would be perfect) but I think it would be more palatable if the price was closer to a track day. I also understand that people complain about the actual amount of time on the track during a race as well; therefore, I am thinking that maybe the classes could be shrunk so that the riders could get more practice time throughout the weekend. It would be great if there was one price like $200 for the weekend, and that price would include a good amount of time to practice and entry fees to three classes of racing. If there was something like this, I think that I may be able to swing it!!
    Last edited by Repsol a095; Sun Sep 13th, 2009 at 04:22 PM.

Board Newbie

Repsol -

To tell you the truth, I doubt if anything that gets past the rule making body will be more than a token opportunity to race; almost certainly not a group of races unless you and your bike qualify as MRA Novices. My idea here is to find out what it would take to get you to stick your toe in and say, "That's too cold", or "That feels good, sign me up for Novice".

I would (and have: http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtop...89e8abe3a90ada) personally advocate for limited track participation unless both the rider and the bike qualify for Novice status; more of a 'demonstration' class, to use the Olympics as a model.
    Last edited by chrobis; Sun Sep 13th, 2009 at 09:06 PM.
    Chris Anderson
    MRA #538

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    I understand that the races can't be free, (although that would be perfect) but I think it would be more palatable if the price was closer to a track day. I also understand that people complain about the actual amount of time on the track during a race as well; therefore, I am thinking that maybe the classes could be shrunk so that the riders could get more practice time throughout the weekend. It would be great if there was one price like $200 for the weekend, and that price would include a good amount of time to practice and entry fees to three classes of racing. If there was something like this, I think that I may be able to swing it!!

I saw $200 for 3 races! Well what if I told you, you can run 4 sprint races and 1 endurance race for $280?

That would give you all practice sessions for Saturday. Two sprint races on Saturday. One 15 min. endurance practice and one 30 min endurance race. On Sunday you will have morning practice and 2 sprint races.

With all the practices and and races you should be getting close to 70 laps. That is more then you will do at a typical track day and you get the "true" competition!!

So it looks like you're in luck!
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    I saw $200 for 3 races! Well what if I told you, you can run 4 sprint races and 1 endurance race for $280?

That would give you all practice sessions for Saturday. Two sprint races on Saturday. One 15 min. endurance practice and one 30 min endurance race. On Sunday you will have morning practice and 2 sprint races.

With all the practices and and races you should be getting close to 70 laps. That is more then you will do at a typical track day and you get the "true" competition!!

So it looks like you're in luck!

I would love to see the schedule because I haven't seen anything close to that. The only thing that I have seen in the endurance races for about $50.

Quote Originally Posted by Repsol a095 View Post
    I would love to see the schedule because I haven't seen anything close to that. The only thing that I have seen in the endurance races for about $50.

Yeah last race round it cost me $230 to run both novice and amateur races. Add $50 for endurance and bam there you go!

The first race is $140 then $30 a race after that except for endurance and Race of the Rockies...

Here is the link for the race schedule from just this past year.
    http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=5398
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Something that may help the MRA get some newbies is a type of gear loan system. Full leathers are a fairly big chunk of change for someone unsure of whether or not they want to race. Yea, I know that's "the gear" a serious rider should have in the canyons but be realistic. And fwiw, I'd consider myself a serious rider and I've never had leathers for the street, I don't like the power ranger look when off my bike at lunch.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

a.) Relax rider prep to track day standards
    b.) Relax bike prep to track day standards
    c.) Restrict on-track behavior to lessen the drama (e.g., no passing on the inside of a corner)
    e.) Other (please describe)

I dont see any of these being able to happen, only D.
    MRA already does a Recuit a Novice, and its not assigned. only those who want help.

relaxing rider/bike prep is just asking for trouble. who would want to race in a relaxed rider prep, i guess if you dont care about your body when it goes bouncing down the tarmac then have at it.
    General checks to make sure bolts

c.) no passing on the inside means only passing on the outside? thats even worse.
    example: 3 people are riding in a straight line behind each other , A.B.C. Rider A isnt too good at holding his line, Rider B and C are faster than rider A. Rider B and C line up to pass on the outside of rider A. Rider B comes flying by the nose of Rider A on the outside. Rider A is startled by the pass and stands up. Rider C is now leaned over and about to collide with Rider A.
    Seen it before and is not pretty.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

^^I'm with Cromer on this one. Part of the reason you race on the track vs. being stupid in the canyons is the safety factor. If I'm going to put my butt on a bike on the track and surround myself with other riders, I want to be good and sure that a. their bikes are tech spec'd and mechanically sound like mine so they don't go taking me out with loose parts, b. each rider cares enough about the race, their bike, and their dedication to getting faster safely so as not to run me off the road, c. that they've got as much skin, if not more, than I do in the game.

I can understand the push to sign up new racers and get folks to try it out, but, if I were to consider racings, personally, it would be because when get out on the track I know that everyone around me has a bike that's not going to go awry and take me out, everyone is thinking along the same mindset of getting faster safely and trying to win or at least place higher, and that we all have the same things at stake. Racing should cost money. Without a enough skin in the game, what's someone's motivation not to rider dangerously or even wrecklessly, especially is this is going to be their only race?

Also, when you start prohibiting what standard maneuvers are and are not permissable, you run the risk of turning racing into nascar.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Hole shots scare me to death. I'm not like Hopperstad.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

this would be awesome. i feel out of the loop and a bit intimidated going into the mra not knowing anyone
    You've Grown Quite Mangy Cat, But Your Grins' A Comfort.

If the MRA is looking for new racers, then they shouldn’t have to look any further than Chicane Track Days.

Chicane runs a first rate operation. They continually bring in new riders. I see this from the large number of bikes each track day following instructors around the track. Every one of them is a potential new racer.

Chicane’s safety program for new riders has kept their accidents to a minimum. I have worked MRA races and have been to many Chicane events. IMO, Chicane not only has had fewer accidents, but fewer injures and damage to faculties. Now I’m not saying the MRA doesn’t run a safe operation, just of the two Chicane has the better safety record.

The bottom line is, if a rider can afford to do a Chicane Track Day, then the MRA should have a place for these riders in one of their events, same tech, same safety standards and same cost.

Make it easy for these riders to show up and race and let them decided how far they wish to go in the MRA.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoMike View Post

this would be awesome. i feel out of the loop and a bit intimidated going into the mra not knowing anyone
    What up Mike, you know me don't you???? I would have helped you out if you needed it. Hope to see you out there next year.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

My last entry fee total was $285

Got 3 practices on Saturday Morning
    Nov U
    Nov o
    Endurance Practice
    middle weight endurance
    heavy weight enduracne
    two practices Sunday morning
    Am u
    amo

so that is two full track days. I was tired as hell, that comes to $142.50 for each day. Chicanne last charged $200 for a day. Which is cheaper?

No offencen to your price Scott, your orgainzation is very fairly priced for a track day at HPR, just showing the difference.

An open lapping day is $160 for the day. Racing is still the better deal....
    Last edited by nwatkins; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

+1 Neil. I support Chicane track days to the N'th degree. It is money VERY well spent for the safety, the instruction, and the quality of the program Scott runs. It's invaluable. And it's a gateway into the MRA in every single way I can think of. I also support spectating and anyone who wants to learn more about what goes into racing and the support you will receive.

However, people have to remember that a racing weekend is very different from a track day. The amount of hard energy that goes into those race days, both on and off the track, is just different. And for the money, the time you get on those race days is ample given your class preferences. It's exhausting and plenty of seat time. Not to mention, the experience is just unlike any other. It's just different, and not a fair comparison IMO.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Mon Sep 14th, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by eklew View Post
    What up Mike, you know me don't you???? I would have helped you out if you needed it. Hope to see you out there next year.

your always so distant lol.
    You've Grown Quite Mangy Cat, But Your Grins' A Comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by 64BonnieLass View Post
    +1 Neil. I support Chicane track days to the N'th degree. It is money VERY well spent for the safety, the instruction, and the quality of the program Scott runs. It's invaluable. And it's a gateway into the MRA in every single way I can think of. I also support spectating and anyone who wants to learn more about what goes into racing and the support you will receive.

However, people have to remember that a racing weekend is very different from a track day. The amount of hard energy that goes into those race days, both on and off the track, is just different. And for the money, the time you get on those race days is ample given your class preferences. It's exhausting and plenty of seat time. Not to mention, the experience is just unlike any other. It's just different, and not a fair comparison IMO.

You are so right Terry. This was my first full year of racing after a decade of track days. I got so much more from racing and pushing myself. The friendships I have made in the pits is umbelievable. Plus me pushing to break 2 minutes is a lot different then riding in circles at a track day. I spent a metric shit of money this seaon. Was it worth it? Every damn penny. Racing once a month kept me sane. Now I gotta pay a credit card.
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice

I agree to the money per number of laps ratio is a good one for a Saturday Event in the MRA. Who can beat $50 for all that seat time.

However, it seems to be the other two aspects that are the deal breaker to those I have talked to. Bike prep costs, getting racing license, and everything else they think they need to do to get to stared is very intimidating. I think this has more to do with informing people what it will take and how to go about it.

I know I’m having a hell of a time getting a to a school to qualify for my license. Ether I have the money and no one is putting one on or I find out they are when I have no money. This is my biggest stopping point right now.

It would have been nice to have a schedule of these schools so I could include one in my budget. I hate the idea of doing this in April under the conditions they had last year.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    However, it seems to be the other two aspects that are the deal breaker to those I have talked to. Bike prep costs, getting racing license, and everything else they think they need to do to get to stared is very intimidating. I think this has more to do with informing people what it will take and how to go about it.

I know I’m having a hell of a time getting a to a school to qualify for my license. Ether I have the money and no one is putting one on or I find out they are when I have no money. This is my biggest stopping point right now.

It would have been nice to have a schedule of these schools so I could include one in my budget. I hate the idea of doing this in April under the conditions they had last year.

the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

as far as the class goes, get marks number and call him. Dont wait to hear about a class, get the motivation to find out when the next class is and put the money down early. that way if you miss it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    you got 6months to get the school and license. stuff some money in the couch now for when you go digging for it later.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Quote Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
    the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

as far as the class goes, get marks number and call him. Dont wait to hear about a class, get the motivation to find out when the next class is and put the money down early. that way if you miss it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    you got 6months to get the school and license. stuff some money in the couch now for when you go digging for it later.

Cromer has a very good point. Don't worry about the suspension or other go fast parts. A stock bike is fine. Cromer ran circles around most everybody and he has a stock front end.

The generator- I am sure there are plenty of people to let you plug in tire warmers, I know I will when I am out there. Tires is the big part. But you would be buying those if you were doing trackdays anyways. Now you just need to get a belly pay, so an extra $500 bucks for a whole set of hotbodies. What else am I missing????
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice

We did a MRA race cert school at the last Chicane track day at Pueblo a few weeks ago.
    Mark Schellinger/ Vanmar Racing 303-944-0334
    Can basically do MRA race certification year around. He is also the new rider director for the MRA give him a call he can tell your where,when and how much.

Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

AKA "Devaclis"

Some people have no interest in riding with other people.

Some people have no interest in riding competitively with other people.

Some people have no interest in riding competitively with other people on a race track.

You have to have people that WANT to do these things before they even consider money, training, or any of the other things that come with riding on a race track. If you have people that WANT to do this, they will find a way to get out there.

I think what you are looking for is this:

Who WANTS to get on a race track, but has something preventing you from doing so. If so, what is it and if we could remove that obstacle, can we see you out there soon?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I agree to the money per number of laps ratio is a good one for a Saturday Event in the MRA. Who can beat $50 for all that seat time.

I don't know if this is a reasonable thought for you or others, but if you KNOW this is what you want, then put a cookie jar on the table and save your pennies to get what you want.

In fact, I will even do it for you. Give me a buck each time I see you and BAM!!!, racing school. It'll be the Swiss-Italian Bank of Romaneschi. (totally tax free of course)
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

I would love to race in 2010.. unfortunatly I will be playing in a sand box.. I will be aroudun in 2011 though.