View Poll Results: Which of these, offered on some sort of trial basis, would entice you to try racing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's all got to be free

7 18.42%
  • The $/lap has to be close to a track day's ratio

11 28.95%
  • I can afford the price of one track day to find out

11 28.95%
  • Other (please describe)

9 23.68%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would get you onto a race grid?

Re: What would get you onto a race grid?

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    ^^I'm with Cromer on this one. Part of the reason you race on the track vs. being stupid in the canyons is the safety factor. If I'm going to put my butt on a bike on the track and surround myself with other riders, I want to be good and sure that a. their bikes are tech spec'd and mechanically sound like mine so they don't go taking me out with loose parts, b. each rider cares enough about the race, their bike, and their dedication to getting faster safely so as not to run me off the road, c. that they've got as much skin, if not more, than I do in the game.

I can understand the push to sign up new racers and get folks to try it out, but, if I were to consider racings, personally, it would be because when get out on the track I know that everyone around me has a bike that's not going to go awry and take me out, everyone is thinking along the same mindset of getting faster safely and trying to win or at least place higher, and that we all have the same things at stake. Racing should cost money. Without a enough skin in the game, what's someone's motivation not to rider dangerously or even wrecklessly, especially is this is going to be their only race?

Also, when you start prohibiting what standard maneuvers are and are not permissable, you run the risk of turning racing into nascar.

Recently I have been talking to a number of racers about me getting out there on the grid, because pushing it in the canyons is just lame compared to the track, for multiple reasons. Almost everyone I talk to mentions this super street class or whatever, and I am not for it. If I decide to race, I am going to put forth the effort and prep my bike accordingly, being secure in the knowledge that everyone else has gone through the same efforts. worrying about oil on the track due to split factory case covers, no belly pans, etc. is something that I want to be at the bottom of the list of things running through my head as I am running around the track.

Yes, shit happens, but the more prepared you are for it when it hits, the better IMO.

This being said...I conviced myself (along with some encouraging word from others) yesterday that I am going to make an honest effort to get out there next year. I won't be the fastest guy out there, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

so as of now, this is whats keeping ME from the grid
    a) MRA school
    2) AMA membership
    c) case covers/bodywork/safety wire
    4) tire warmers
    e) a big brother/sister to show me the ropes
    6) a CC with a sweet rewards program

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post

Recently I have been talking to a number of racers about me getting out there on the grid, because pushing it in the canyons is just lame compared to the track, for multiple reasons. Almost everyone I talk to mentions this super street class or whatever, and I am not for it. If I decide to race, I am going to put forth the effort and prep my bike accordingly, being secure in the knowledge that everyone else has gone through the same efforts. worrying about oil on the track due to split factory case covers, no belly pans, etc. is something that I want to be at the bottom of the list of things running through my head as I am running around the track.

Yes, shit happens, but the more prepared you are for it when it hits, the better IMO.

This being said...I conviced myself (along with some encouraging word from others) yesterday that I am going to make an honest effort to get out there next year. I won't be the fastest guy out there, but everyone has to start somewhere, right?

so as of now, this is whats keeping ME from the grid
    a) MRA school
    2) AMA membership
    c) case covers/bodywork/safety wire
    4) tire warmers
    e) a big brother/sister to show me the ropes
    6) a CC with a sweet rewards program
    All you really need is #6.. beacuse with that you can buy 1-5

Quote Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
    the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

as far as the class goes, get marks number and call him. Dont wait to hear about a class, get the motivation to find out when the next class is and put the money down early. that way if you miss it, you have no one to blame but yourself.
    you got 6months to get the school and license. stuff some money in the couch now for when you go digging for it later.
    Hey, you asked the question and I told you the perception I was hearing.

Now you can ether tell these people that they are lazy/stupid for not knowing what you know and not figuring it out for themselves, or you can get this information out there and change the perception. Your choice.

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
    the costs to prep your bike? you serious? ok... do you have a drill? check.... do you have drill bits? check.... do you have about a hour of time? check.... pull your lower radiator hose and refill it with water.... check. safety wire pliers and safety wire. check. brike prep done.

Aras 2009 zx6 took us 45mins to drain coolant/ drill and safety wire. it aint that big ofa deal. so no excuses to being lazy and paying someone to do it.

Pero Motorsports is going to be offering race bike prep during the off season to help get some new guys out there.

This would include:
    Full bike safety wired
    Coolant flushed and refilled with water wetter
    Bodywork mounting
    Performance part installs

AKA "Devaclis"

I did not read the MRA thread because this poll was not in it. I read this thread. My diligence with thread hopping only goes as far as trolling and thread jacking.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I think for most people is gear and/or dedicated track bike. Most people don't have two bikes or want to try and convert their only street bike. The other thing, as stated in the other thread is cash. Neither of these two things the MRA can do much about.

For me, it's cash and lack of brass balls. I'm going to try and do a few next year. But I'll probably only run classes that have the fewest people. NOV U seems like a "rite of passage," but lining up on a 40 person/2 wave grid intimidates the shit out of me. I'm most likely to do endurance or sportsman to get my feet wet.

For your suggestions:
    A and B could be possible if there were a "street" class during the weekend. I wouldn't bend the rules for other classes, it demeans them.

C. No way, I have a slow bike, that's the only time I passed people yesterday.

D. I think that's a good idea. But new riders should take the initiative also. I didn't know any racers last year, but now I've made a strong effort and I know a couple of them. It's a two way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Hey, you asked the question and I told you the perception I was hearing.

Now you can ether tell these people that they are lazy/stupid for not knowing what you know and not figuring it out for themselves, or you can get this information out there and change the perception. Your choice.
    The thing is people that are interested rarely ask what it takes and how easy all of these things can be.

Also the general person trying to get into this sport thinks you have to have the latest and greatest equipment out there when you dont.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post
    The thing is people that are interested rarely ask what it takes and how easy all of these things can be.

Also the general person trying to get into this sport thinks you have to have the latest and greatest equipment out there when you dont.
    OK so I will ask.. what does it take? where is the best spot to get a step by step set up of how to get into racing? I know about the gear and what not. I need/want to know about the license, cost, etc.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    But I'll probably only run classes that have the fewest people. NOV U seems like a "rite of passage," but lining up on a 40 person/2 wave grid intimidates the shit out of me. I'm most likely to do endurance or sportsman to get my feet wet.
    I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL4LIFE!! View Post
    OK so I will ask.. what does it take? where is the best spot to get a step by step set up of how to get into racing? I know about the gear and what not. I need/want to know about the license, cost, etc.
    Vanmar Racing does a free day-long "intro to roadracing" clinic each winter before the season starts and it discusses all these issues. Joe (jplracing here) usually posts up about it. When I got back into racing last year, Rybo helped me get everything on the bike prepped. I am willing to do that for anybody that needs the help.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I think that's a better idea, Dirk. Didn't Mr. 611 win both NOV U and O on a 600? What is the point of 2 classes for beginners? Contingency $? A/B/C would be more welcoming to a newer rider, I think.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peromoto View Post
    Pero Motorsports is going to be offering race bike prep during the off season to help get some new guys out there.

This would include:
    Full bike safety wired
    Coolant flushed and refilled with water wetter
    Bodywork mounting
    Performance part installs
    FYI - Other bikes shops already offer this as well. What will your cost be?
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by SOCAL4LIFE!! View Post
    The easiest place to find out all this information is on the mra website

http://www.mra-racing.org/
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Quote Originally Posted by racedk6 View Post

My point exactly, the wrong perception. This is what the MRA has to change if they want more riders to become interested.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Vanmar Racing does a free day-long "intro to roadracing" clinic each winter before the season starts and it discusses all these issues. Joe (jplracing here) usually posts up about it. When I got back into racing last year, Rybo helped me get everything on the bike prepped. I am willing to do that for anybody that needs the help.

Dirk
    And this class was very informative. Maybe a scaled down version can be put on at track days for those interested?

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    FYI - Other bikes shops already offer this as well. What will your cost be?

We know other bike shops also offer this.

As we are just getting into the MRA scene we have not come up with a flat rate price to do so. Like any other job price will vary on how much work has to be done.

My point exactly, the wrong perception. This is what the MRA has to change if they want more riders to become interested.
    It is hard to break peoples mind set that they dont have to have the best equipment to race. I have answered that question many times in the past and I think me a #611 have show cased it pretty well this season running on stock equipment.

I feel this problem will only be solved with repetativeness which means answering this question a thousand times over.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

I kinda disagree here. I hear you fully Randall and partially agree. However, I don't believe the MRA needs to be the body responsible for the change.

I believe in "rider responsibility". I have seen all shapes and sizes. Both on track days and race weekends. You can make it as inexpensive as you wish. An individual does not "need" a bunch of crap. It is the choice of the rider how much they choose to invest. The "stuff" is a "nice to have" concept, but it's not mandatory. A prepped bike is "mandatory". A generator, ez up, blah blah, is NOT mandatory. It's up to the individual.

I think the LOVE of the sport dictates your cash outlay. It has nothing to do with mandatory costs at some point. People make their own choices. Simple.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

The super street bike class is coming to the MRA if it passes through the rule meeting and I think it will pass. Bike prep will be what the track requires and gear will be based on MRA rulebook (gear must me our requirements due to insurance). So this means a street bike can race! It will be run like endurance (30 minute race and a 15 minute practice for $50) You must be a current associate member, AMA member and pass a school. The class will not be scored and no trophies that is the incentive to move to the novice ranks. There will be no contengency either.

Jeff

I agree, the promotion of the MRA is up to it members / racers after al they are the faces of the organization.

MRA Racer No.427

I have proposed a restructuring of the novice classes to deal with this very issue. The idea is to have Nov-A, Nov-B and Nov-C instead of Sportsman, Nov-U and Nov-O and have lap time limits for Nov-A and Nov-B, like is currently done for Sportsman. The slowest riders would be eligible for Nov-A, faster riders for Nov-B and the fastest for Nov-C. Slower riders could ride in the faster classes if they wanted to.

I think this makes much more sense for the novice classes than doing them based on engine displacement, since lap times at this level are much more dependent on the rider than the bike. I'm curious what you and other potential new racers think of the idea.

Dirk

This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.

Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRA 927 View Post
    The super street bike class is coming to the MRA if it passes through the rule meeting and I think it will pass. Bike prep will be what the track requires and gear will be based on MRA rulebook (gear must me our requirements due to insurance). So this means a street bike can race! It will be run like endurance (30 minute race and a 15 minute practice for $50) You must be a current associate member, AMA member and pass a school. The class will not be scored and no trophies that is the incentive to move to the novice ranks. There will be no contengency either.

Jeff
    Good!! As long as safety and rules for everyone involved is not encroched upon. Then good.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Dirk
    Nice, idea..
    Working your way up a ladder is much easier than jumping to the top of a building.
    1. Track Days
    2. Super Street Bike Class
    3. Novice A
    4. Novice B
    5. Novice C
    6. Etc…

MRA Racer No.427

the only thing that bugs with this is I will miss the sanity of NOV U. I do race Nov 0, and while it is fun, NOV U is a lot more fun. Nothing drives me nuts more then a rider with less skill blowing by me on the straight only to have an achor thrown out in the turns. Then I spend the next lap trying to pass then have that GSXR 1 BILLION go by me on the straight again. I know it is not all about displacement, but in Nov O i expect that, In Nov U I don't. Further a faster Novice will be punished for being fast and only be able to race in one Novice race. I like to race in two. That would piss me off if I timed out of one of my Saturday races..
    MRA #176 Rookie/Novice
    Sponsor: Visa Mastercard overdraft protection

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    This sounds like an awesome deal, as me and my big bad 750 get walked all over by Randall and his dirty girl...rider skill is the determining factor at this level far more than displacement.
    Only if I can keep from losing my nuts…

MRA Racer No.427