View Poll Results: Which of these, offered on some sort of trial basis, would entice you to try racing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's all got to be free

7 18.42%
  • The $/lap has to be close to a track day's ratio

11 28.95%
  • I can afford the price of one track day to find out

11 28.95%
  • Other (please describe)

9 23.68%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would get you onto a race grid?

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Re: What would get you onto a race grid?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Only if I can keep from losing my nuts…

I miss my nuts!!! I miss mah dirty dirty. She was sooo dirty, but soooo fun too. Hey Randall, trade ya motors eh? (say yes, say yes)
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by MRA 927 View Post
    The super street bike class is coming to the MRA if it passes through the rule meeting and I think it will pass. Bike prep will be what the track requires and gear will be based on MRA rulebook (gear must me our requirements due to insurance). So this means a street bike can race! It will be run like endurance (30 minute race and a 15 minute practice for $50) You must be a current associate member, AMA member and pass a school. The class will not be scored and no trophies that is the incentive to move to the novice ranks. There will be no contengency either.

Jeff
    I dont think it will be a 30 minute race. My understanding is that it will be a 7 lap sprint type race. I could be wrong though.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

From most people, what I hear the most prohibitive is the cost.

Racing is very expensive to get into, especially if you don't have a suitable bike or a way to get it to the track. Not to mention the things you'll need once you get there. Sure, a lot of things can be borrowed, but you can't always count on that.

Upfront costs as far as I can see it:
    Bike that's prepped. (If you have a suitable bike, say an R6 or something you're still looking at $500-$1000 to get it legal. Damper, Race bodywork with bellypan, what else?)
    Legal gear (hopefully you've already go that, but otherwise anywhere from $500 up if you're starting from scratch)
    Vehicle to get you and your stuff to the track (not everyone has a truck or a trailer)
    Generator and warmers (not required, but would you race without them?) (another couple hundred each)
    Race class: $300
    AMA Membership: $40 (annual)
    MRA Membership: $150 (annual)
    Transponder: $250+ or $50/weekend rental

~$500/weekend for entry fees and expenses is what I hear from people.

Obviously corners can be cut here and there and you can just run endurance for $50, but why would you spend all the up-front costs to race just one race per weekend?

My numbers are just estimates from what I've heard from people and looking things up, but it certainly gives you an idea of what it'll take.

I can't wait to be out there next year.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I'm in for next season. I don't have deep pockets by any means. I can't afford tires every race weekend or even every other race weekend for that matter. I'm just gonna race my CR500 and TRY to keep up with Chuck...I got some work to do. I wish there was more of a supermoto class, but most of them are all tied up with the 5280 series.

Quote Originally Posted by jgixxer1 View Post
    I'm in for next season. I don't have deep pockets by any means. I can't afford tires every race weekend or even every other race weekend for that matter. I'm just gonna race my CR500 and TRY to keep up with Chuck...I got some work to do. I wish there was more of a supermoto class, but most of them are all tied up with the 5280 series.
    Watch out Chuck don't take you outHe rides like an jackass.

I was just reading over the MRA rule book. What is the deal with the case guards? That would be an extra 500 bucks for woodcraft on both sides?

If you look at all the things you are required to have. It extends so much further than the track day, it puts it out of reach, PLUS the price to race is the SAME as a track day. It just doesn't make any sense. I could drive down to New Mexico and do a whole season at Arroyo Seco and spend less money.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I was just reading over the MRA rule book. What is the deal with the case guards? That would be an extra 500 bucks for woodcraft on both sides?

If you look at all the things you are required to have. It extends so much further than the track day, it puts it out of reach, PLUS the price to race is the SAME as a track day. It just doesn't make any sense. I could drive down to New Mexico and do a whole season at Arroyo Seco and spend less money.

You can get the woodcrafts or vortex ones for a hefty price. There is also the option of circuit one case covers and other other companies also offer options that bolt over you're existing cover.

AND there is also the option of getting case covers used like I did and saved 50% off retail.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Transponder: $250+ or $50/weekend rental
    Is this the going rate for renting a transponder?

One thing they really don't tell you about in these cost senerios, has to do with your bike. If you wad your shit, and every one does, it can cost a shit ton to fix. If you cant afford to go out and throw your bike in the dumpster and walk away you shouldn't be racing that bike. If you still owe on your bike, you really really shouldn't race your bike.
    Crashes are funny, sometimes you crash spectaularly and do very little damage, sometimes you dont get so lucky.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins View Post
    the only thing that bugs with this is I will miss the sanity of NOV U. I do race Nov 0, and while it is fun, NOV U is a lot more fun. Nothing drives me nuts more then a rider with less skill blowing by me on the straight only to have an achor thrown out in the turns. Then I spend the next lap trying to pass then have that GSXR 1 BILLION go by me on the straight again. I know it is not all about displacement, but in Nov O i expect that, In Nov U I don't.
    Trust me. Being on a 750, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by nwatkins View Post
    Further a faster Novice will be punished for being fast and only be able to race in one Novice race. I like to race in two. That would piss me off if I timed out of one of my Saturday races..
    I should say that I came up with this idea based on Rybo's proposal of having novices run a second wave in classes like middleweight supersport, etc. The fastest guys would be able to run Nov-C and any other supersport/superbike classes they were eligible for under his proposal, so you would end up having more novice race choices than you currently do.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Truly the economy sucks and this wouldn't even be proposed back when the Dow was good for everyone and everyone had jobs.

Ya can do this on the cheap, I'm finding. However, working in an insurance co, I noticed that it doesn't allow many even benefits these days. And for all racers, medical Insurance should be priced in on costs. Just for the "in case of's" IMO (Our own is awful, so I have "supplemental" as well)

Finding a way to help a fellow new racer is the best form of introducing new racers. Not everyone knows how to drill into a banjo bolt (I'm getting better, tho, Joe! LOL)

So, my question back on this is: How many racers from this season are AHEAD, or have even broken even? We all owe. Some people will find anyway to race, economic down times or not. But, it's just not feasible for everyone. So, finding a way to make it feasible may not work, MRA restructuring or not in these times...
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

I am going to justify it by thinking that if I keep riding on the street like I am, I'll be in jail, and the bike will be impounded...this whole racing thing doesn't seem so expensive anymore.

At my current pace, I'll be spending about the same on tires (if I run take-offs) as I do now on street tires (so far I'm on 4, soon to be 5 sets of new tires this season). And I'm not counting all the other bike expenses, because I'd be riding reguardless, in the canyons, at IMI or at lapping days, and be putting fewer, albeit harder, miles on the bike. even if I just kept up with track days, I'd still get other bodywork and case covers in preparation for the inevitable mishap.

Like Drew said...if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Sign me up! And I may take you up on your offer Dirk...haha. word on the street is that you may know a bit about a 7fiddy
    All I've ever raced are bikes in the 750-850cc range. And yep, bring 'er over and we'll get 'er all set up to make Ray-Ray happy.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Bueller is correct about crashing...and if you are not willing to light your bike on fire tomorrow than racing isn't for you. But you (Bueller) pushed my buttons with the stab at Chuck! I have raced with Chuck close for years and never had an issue. Bueller you seem a little negative towards the MRA but hey talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!

Jeff
    Jeff,

Dave raced in the MRA in 04/05 and actually went around pretty well.

s

I wonder if running a particular MRA class like wsbk or motogp with only 1 specific tire choice would help with the cost some. Maybe getting some sort of sponsorship deal with that brand and offer the tires through the MRA at a discount would make one of the biggest ongoing cost of racing more sustainable for most.

If they could chose a relatively inexpensive tire that lasts longer.. say the bt016 or equivalent and require racers to use them for a minimum of X races or race weekends, that would bring the cost down even more.

I know tires are only a part of the entire financial picture but its one less major recurring expense.
    "why count the lives' complexity,
    when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat.."

Just throwing out another idea.. but I wonder if a sort of bike transportation service would help some get started.

For a nominal fee, the MRA could get a large trailer and offer transportation service to the track and back (maybe day before pickup and day after drop off) for people who don't own a trailer and hitch.

If money was tight and I was looking at getting into racing, I know i'd rather pay a small fee one race weekend at a time vs. having to buy a lot of expensive hardware before even the first race.

Just a thought.
    "why count the lives' complexity,
    when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat.."

Jeff
    He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.
    I just gave him the warning, like others gave me, albeit after the fact.
    Maybe he has changed his style in the last few years.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.
    I just gave him the warning, like others gave me, albeit after the fact.
    Maybe he has changed his style in the last few years.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years, I am presenting the non-MRA side of racing, something people should consider. I am not negative toward racing, I liked racing, but this has turned into a pledge drive to recruit everyone and anyone with promises of glory. Just because I present a shot of reality doesn't make me unpatriotic.
    In my measly 3 years of racing I have crashed probably a dozen of times. The most expensive part I ever had to replace was a lower triple, and an attack rearset. Saying that you need to be willing to toss your bike in the dumpster and walk away is a little extreme. Even after the crash at the last race which resulted a bike catching on fire after a hard spill, it still wasn't a total loss.

Should you be prepared to crash, absolutely. Will a crash leave you with a bike that is not worth a penny, never that I have seen.

Racing is expensive and its not for everyone. Some people do better carving the canyons, hitting local trackdays, or keeping it in the dirt. To each their own. We (the MRA) are obviously trying to recruit more riders. I dont see a problem with trying to expand an amazing club. I also dont see any brainwashing BS telling people that racing is for everyone. It costs money and requires dedication and passion to compete at any level, in any sport.

So yeah crashing is possible. And yes, racing is expensive. Does everyone "wad their shit". I would have to say no on that one.

Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?
    Casey D

I think Dave is just providing an alternate point of view, which keeps the debate from being one sided. I'd rather come to racing having properly weighed the pros & cons of the investment instead of seeing nothing but roses. There are a lot of aspects to racing that folks might not consider and a lot of roadblocks that need to be dealt with before gridding up (i.e. pay the bike off).

While I would like to race some day, I'm nowhere near that point and an alternate point of view is a little refreshing since some of what I've been reading in this thread makes me feel like I have to defend why I'm not racing like it's a foregone conclusion that "because I ride, I race."

I think what the MRA is doing in coming to the people is a great idea and I wish you guys well, but think back to when you started riding and ask yourselves what finally got you onto the grid, what you wish you would've known all those years ago, and, if someone were posting a thread like this one, would it encourage you to race or discourage you?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mrs. rforsythe Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post

While I would like to race some day, I'm nowhere near that point and an alternate point of view is a little refreshing since some of what I've been reading in this thread makes me feel like I have to defend why I'm not racing like it's a foregone conclusion that "because I ride, I race."

I think what the MRA is doing in coming to the people is a great idea and I wish you guys well, but think back to when you started riding and ask yourselves what finally got you onto the grid, what you wish you would've known all those years ago, and, if someone were posting a thread like this one, would it encourage you to race or discourage you?
    This is one of the most well said comments I have read so far in the MRA financial debate. Thanks!

Amos Bronson Alcott

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

If only they had a Super-Heavyweight endurance class with limited gear

303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I wanna race CAN-AM class FTMFW!!
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    One thing they really don't tell you about in these cost senerios, has to do with your bike. If you wad your shit, and every one does....
    Does not!!!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street