View Poll Results: Which of these, offered on some sort of trial basis, would entice you to try racing?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's all got to be free

7 18.42%
  • The $/lap has to be close to a track day's ratio

11 28.95%
  • I can afford the price of one track day to find out

11 28.95%
  • Other (please describe)

9 23.68%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What would get you onto a race grid?

Re: What would get you onto a race grid?

a rental bike class would be amazing! boost DK's business, and racers wouldn't have to shell out the $$$ for a bike. So Dave, when can I rent a bike....

Yea, and we can run them in a figure 8...
    Now thats entertainment...

MRA Racer No.427

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Yea, and we can run them in a figure 8...
    Now thats entertainment...
    Haha.

I think I'll see where I'm at after another season of chicane trackdays, during which I will probably start buying up some bit of pieces of things I want in a race pit. Then, hopefully I'll be ready to give it a shot in '11. Already have the woman's blessing! ()
    Last edited by Zach929rr; Thu Sep 17th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I got your deposit, hopefully luck is with you in the figure 8 race
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Bueller, if the MRA isn't for you then why so many negative comments in the MRA section of this forum?
    I was wondering when one of the MRA members would play the "negative" card. I am not negative, I am presenting the other side, the realities of racing. It isn't your speel so you take it as an attack against your organization. I tell people the good and the downsides of things when I sell something. You guys are taking care of all the positive points, I am just presenting the other side from someone who has been there. If you all want to get butthurt over it so be it.

talk is cheap if you were worth a sh!t you would be out at the track instead of acting like you are something!
    But what the hell do I know, since I am not a racer, I am not worth a shit

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I was wondering when one of the MRA members would play the "negative" card. I am not negative, I am presenting the other side, the realities of racing. It isn't your speel so you take it as an attack against your organization. I tell people the good and the downsides of things when I sell something. You guys are taking care of all the positive points, I am just presenting the other side from someone who has been there. If you all want to get butthurt over it so be it.
    I'm not playing "the negative card" against you. If you had quoted my entire post you would see that I agree:

1. Racing is not for everyone
    2. Racing is expensive
    3. Crashing does happen

What makes your "shot of reality" accurate and true? What positive aspects have you stated? What personal experience do you have with the MRA? I'm asking this in a genuine sense because honestly I dont know you or what you have done in life. I'm not trying to attack your opinion, only seeing what you have to back it up. If you used to race with the MRA, please tell us about it.

The last thing I'm trying to do is to get the broke college kids into racing. Why waste the time and money into something you dont have passion for? I am simply going against the negative "its too expensive and you'll wad your bike" idea because that simply isn't true.

If you have the will, there is a way! Some have it, and some don't. I only want the riders who have the will to grid up on a race and experience the MOST intense riding I have, personally, ever experienced. Never will I say all riders should race. It just isn't in the card for alot of people. Instead, we are here presenting the real facts about racing, from riders who DO race in the MRA, and have first hand experience. I do appreciate all sides of the story and I will never act like this sport is something that it is not.
    Last edited by dragos13; Thu Sep 17th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I was just reading over the MRA rule book. What is the deal with the case guards? That would be an extra 500 bucks for woodcraft on both sides?
    I guess I'm SOL then, no one makes case guards for my bike. I was really planing on racing next year but with the lack of racing products for my bike I guess I'll just keep it to track days unless I get something else
    Yousef

2007 Triumph Rocket III.
    2005 Triumph Speed Triple.
    1998 Suzuki TL1000R.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Phantom View Post
    I guess I'm SOL then, no one makes case guards for my bike. I was really planing on racing next year but with the lack of racing products for my bike I guess I'll just keep it to track days unless I get something else
    What bike are you talking about?
    Casey D

i am assuming the S3...

From what I had read in the rules (IIR), you only needed the case guards if they were produced for your model.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Bueller does point out some good "alternative views" in this thread, but yeah, watching other MRA members getting into a debate with him is expected. Just like any other thread brought on by the MRA regarding racing.

On another note.... Before I joined the MRA, Bueller (dave) himself for about a year straight, gave nothing but encouragement and advice on a weekly basis to go get into the MRA. He did talk to me and several others and the following season we gave it a shot....

So he does promote the MRA somewhat, you just don't see it on these threads all the time.

A well paying Job, Health Insurance, Graduating from School
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

What bike are you talking about?
    OUTLAWD is correct, it's the speed triple. I already spend good amount of $$ to make it track worthy, other wise I'd turn the TL into a race bike. The only things I can find for my bike is a stator slider and clutch.

Dang, I was looking forward to racing. I gotta see what I can do now.
    Yousef

2007 Triumph Rocket III.
    2005 Triumph Speed Triple.
    1998 Suzuki TL1000R.

Bueller your comments got very personal to me when you made your comment about Chuck. You have made very direct insults at MRA members and Chuck is a good friend of mine. You do have good viewpoints about the downsides to racing....just stop insulting good people.

Jeff

What makes your "shot of reality" accurate and true? What positive aspects have you stated? What personal experience do you have with the MRA? I'm asking this in a genuine sense because honestly I dont know you or what you have done in life. I'm not trying to attack your opinion, only seeing what you have to back it up. If you used to race with the MRA, please tell us about it.
    I want to hear this as well. The only thing I know is you dont get along with Glenn. I wanna hear your experience of racing, what you gained from it and why you quit. Maybe then we might have an insight on your negativity.
    MRA#669
    Big Thanks To
    Vanmar Racing
    Unink Printworks
    Rebellion Motorsports
    Pero Motorsports
    J&K Racing
    Fay Myers Motorcycle World

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    Like Drew said...if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen.
    Whoever said it first, doesn't matter, we can all agree with this.

Its all about building community. Not an exclusive community, but an inclusive one. That's how barriers are torn down. Once the barriers are gone, there is nothing but possibility. Your bother can't just be the one on the track, he has to also be the one in the stands that just showed up to check it out one Saturday. Build relationships, build community, build it and they will come.

You cant just cater to the masses. Sure some, but there has to be some real involvement. If someone has an interest, talk to them. Find out what THEY need and help them achieve it. "You need help safety wiring? Let me know when I can come over and Ill show you". That does a lot more than, "Um..google it." or "Uh, go read this." because you build community.

Spectators are important too. Those are your future racers. Plus, money coming in from spectating could be passed to savings for the racers or better facilities to attract more people.

If someone is new out to the track, make them feel welcome and involved in the race. Pamphlets of rules for racing, and rules of the racetrack, what the flags mean, how the races are done, what a "line" is, so that spectators can understand what they are watching. People watch racing not to just see things go fast. That gets old. People want to be involved. Who one last year? Who is the fastest? Who is a hot contender? Excited and enthusiastic announcers can add a lot to a race too. Do you think NASCAR is so popular because its the best racing around? Um, no. Its because NASCAR did an excellent job of making people feel involved and being a part of something big.

So, you want to bring people to the races and get more people out on the track? Building community and atmosphere is going to do more than lowering prices. Look around, the things that succeed and grow do just that.

Like Drew said..."if you want to do something bad enough, you will make sacrifices and do what needs to be done to make it happen." People want to be involved in something. Give them something to be involved in. Not just a race but a community and belonging as well.

just my $.02
    Last edited by Valguard; Thu Sep 17th, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
    Hold on to your butts.

07 GSXR-600

Valguard, now that was the best post I have read yet! Those are my thoughts as well. The MRA race weekend should not be a bunch of guys/gals out racing and just be our own little group; instead each race weekend should be an EVENT. With a super street class that CSC riders can ride in AND get exposure to racers. Plus us racers get to be involved with CSC members too. I agree that we all need to take steps to make a better effort.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Slo1299 View Post
    Bueller does point out some good "alternative views" in this thread, but yeah, watching other MRA members getting into a debate with him is expected. Just like any other thread brought on by the MRA regarding racing.

On another note.... Before I joined the MRA, Bueller (dave) himself for about a year straight, gave nothing but encouragement and advice on a weekly basis to go get into the MRA. He did talk to me and several others and the following season we gave it a shot....

So he does promote the MRA somewhat, you just don't see it on these threads all the time.
    i guess old flames eventually burn out, and all thats left is that old assh.
    Ive heard nothin but negativity as well, not to mention he made a mockery out of tha MRA's financial problems.
    .....hit it and quit it huh?
    ... so
    "he used to promote the MRA, You just see alot of grumpy burned out road racer talk on these threads all the time."
    .. there, i fixed it for you.
    lol. im just messin.

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    He took both of us out ridin' a little too close, which ended up pretty much totaling my race bike. I am not impressed with his technique.
    I just gave him the warning, like others gave me, albeit after the fact.
    Maybe he has changed his style in the last few years.

I have raced at several levels and disciplines over many years,
    so if you have so many levels and diciplines under yer belt then how did someone "ridin a little too close" cause you to wad your bike up?

VANMAR!!!!
    Bridgestone Tires
    www.fastermotorsports.net
    www.youngbloodracing.com
    www.chicanetrackdays.com

Erik Cromer |MRA #611

OUTLAWD is correct, it's the speed triple. I already spend good amount of $$ to make it track worthy, other wise I'd turn the TL into a race bike. The only things I can find for my bike is a stator slider and clutch.

Dang, I was looking forward to racing. I gotta see what I can do now.
    You have alot of options man, dont give up based on case covers.

If they dont produce them for your bike, you can have additional metal welded to the existing case. You can also fabricate a bracket that would connect on the case cover mount bolts and go across the cover itself. If you need help send me a PM and I will try to dig up some pictures. You might also want to hit up RayRay on the MRA forums and see what he says to do (he is the VP of Rules and Tech).
    Casey D

As several other people have said a mentor would be awesome for me. My 1st track day was 9/13 with chicane and I learned a ton. I'd love to be racing with the mra in the near future but I'm going to need some more one on one instruction to get faster. It would also be cool having someone to help me through the process of getting started.
    Track Bike: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R750
    Street Bike: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieFlan View Post
    As several other people have said a mentor would be awesome for me. My 1st track day was 9/13 with chicane and I learned a ton. I'd love to be racing with the mra in the near future but I'm going to need some more one on one instruction to get faster. It would also be cool having someone to help me through the process of getting started.
    Send me a PM with any questions you might have. Team Young Blood has helped sponsor new riders each year with great success. You can pit with us, we'll help you through the race day procedure, when to register, tech, where to go etc. If you are serious about racing in 2010, that is where you will get your speed
    Casey D

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post

While on the note of chicane days and racing in general, I'd like to take this time to apologize personally and publicly to Joe (JPLracing). Sorry I fucked up the rider coach gig. It's been bothering me for a little while that I was the cause of that, and my most sincere of apologies for being a fucktard.

ummm...what the hell are you talking about? I have been coaching new track riders long before you were around and will be doing so (hopefully) long into future. The only thing I can think of is when you took off on me and another student...????

The only reason I have not been at the last two Chicane events is the one in August I had a prior commitment (black sabbath concert tickets) and the one is Sept I sold my bike the week prior due to financial issues......its fun being out of work!

On a side note, Scott and I have spoken many times since your incident and through out the summer on many topics...if I have been removed off the instructor list....it is news to me

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

I'm one of those prospective new racers you are all discussing. In my case, the money and bike prep are not the issues because I just bought a used race bike. It was ridden right up through the end of last season, so all that stuff is already done.

What's holding me up is simple inexperience. I've done 4 or 5 trackdays now, and while I'm getting faster, it's happening pretty slowly. The problem for me is that there is no ready and affordable way to get quality instruction. Scott's coaches at the Chicane days are great, and I managed to get 20 minutes with one of them last time out. I learned a lot in that little lesson, but what I really need is an instructors undivided attention for a day or two. I hear some of the same comments in the pits from guys in similar situations as myself.

I'd say that if you really want to encourage participation, you should figure out how to get those of us with an interest some help. For example, if the MRA were to host or tag on to a track day and show up with enough coaches that one coach could ride all day with one or two serious prospects, I think it would go a long way to getting those of us who are interested but slow, up to speed.

It's likely that I'll race someday. That's my goal and I'll keep plodding forward trying to get there. Until I get my skill level up to a point where I don't feel like a hazard on the track, I won't even consider it. If I have to learn it all on my own or with the hit-and-miss help of the Chicane coaches, it's going to take a while. With a little help, I'll get there faster.

Before someone mentions that I could go to some big riding school (Keith Code or whatever), that's an obvious but expensive option. I'm near the edge of my budget as it is now even with a very inexpensive race bike and a bunch of used gear.