Thread: HDD Video Cameras Not So Good For Riding Videos

HDD Video Cameras Not So Good For Riding Videos

I mounted this Sony DCR-SR47 video camera I got recently on my bike last night to test it out as I'm riding through Rocky Mountain National Park today. I'm glad I did, because this camera records to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and the vibrations of the bike cause it to stop recording pretty much at every bump.

I have another Camera (some kind of Olympus) for still pictures that also can shoot video, like 45 minutes per 1G memory card, and that has worked fine on the bike in the past, but as it's a still camera, the video isn't great. But it records fine despite the vibration.

I just wanted to post this because one of the reasons I got the Sony was to shoot video on the bike and it probably would work well with solid state memory cards which it can also use (no moving parts to vibrate like in the HDD), but I thought I'd pass this on for anybody considering a HDD video camera for riding videos--probably not a good idea... unless you mounted it to your helmet somehow.

I know there are little lipstick cameras for helmets and so on, but I needed a video camera that could shoot regular stuff too, and couldn't afford to spend the money on a specialized camera just for riding...

LOL now all the people who are camera experts are gonna say, "well of course HDD won't work on a bike you fool!" Oh well live and learn. Thought I'd pass this on anyways and maybe save somebody some disappointment.

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: HDD Video Cameras Not So Good For Riding Videos

Look for a camera that records to a SS drive or large SD card. You can get 4 hours of video on an 8GB SD card, they are cheap, and reliable.

If you are comfortable dismantling your camera, you can remove the existing HDD and install a SSD in its place. There are tutorials on the webs on how to do this.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Moving parts suck
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

HDD cameras can't handle vibration. If it has an analog input, you can hook up one of those lipstick cams and keep the HDD camera in a padded tankbag.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I have one of these: http://www.goprocamera.com/

It's not hd but still has decent quality.
    Xbox 360 :: FALCONSEYE
    PS3 :: FALCONSEYE_

excellent tips, thanks!