Thread: No start for 95 CBR900

Board Newbie

No start for 95 CBR900

I'm pretty new to the sportbike thing, but have been messing around with bikes for about 15 years. Here's my question:

I just recently bought a 95 CBR900RR in great shape. The guy I bought it from was moving, and didn't want to ship it to IL. He hadn't cranked it in about 4 months. When I got it, it needed the battery charged. Got the battery charged and it cranked just fine and was able to ride it around for a few days until the snow and cold hit about 4 or 5 days ago. Today I went to start it and it wouldn't fully start. I had started it while it was cold, just to crank it up, with minimal issues.

The battery checked out fine at just over 12V, and all the lights were bright, so I don't think the battery is to blame. There's plenty of gas in it, so that's not an issue either.

Here are the symptoms: I'll push in the starter and the starter will turn over, but it doesn't seem like the engine wants to catch. It will backfire occasionally while trying to start, but will not fully turn over and fire up. Also the RPM gauge won't move much while it is trying to start. I don't think it is flooded, because I can let it sit and it still won't go. It doesn't seem to matter if the choke is open or closed.

I know about working on cars OK, but the bike thing is pretty foreign to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas

I brought all my shoes and all my glasses so I would have them
    Check the plugs...could just be bad gas.
    ~Travis~
    It's okay...I'm a Doctor.
    Originally Posted by Keyser Soze
    Everybody on CSC knows everything
    2003 GSX-R600 - Former Love
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R - Former Love
    1999 Suzuki TL1000R - Former Love
    2004 DRZ400E - New Dirty
    2002 KFX 650 - Quad

i would say fouled spark plugs. pull all of them and give them a good cleaning with any sort of gas addative or gas itself. or if your like the Coneheads just stick it in your mouth and wash it around awhile. sounds like fouled plugs. id pull them out and clean then. see if it starts then. if it does i would leave everything off and go buy yourself some new plugs.
    Firefighters find them hot, leave them wet

Re: No start for 95 CBR900

Change the plugs as long as you got em out, and don't start the engine repeatedly without fully warming up and preferably riding it. Short run cycles tend to foul plugs.

Board Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I've never worked on a bike before, but is there a secret to changing the plugs? The reason I ask is that while I was checking for fuel and spark, (both were ok) they look like a royal pain to change. It looks like they are tucked under a frame rail, and it doesn't look too easy. If there are any tips, I would love to know.

Thats why I suggest changing, you don't want to do it more than you have to

Board Newbie

Thanks for the help. I changed the plugs this morning and I'm running great. You were right Bueller, I really don't want to do that many more times.