Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strictly Track?

Re: Strictly Track?

Stay away from the track. You'll be addicted before you know it

Or as my father used to say, "Don't try it, you might like it".
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by sp0rtygrl View Post
    I have no desire to ride on the track; I love street riding and do it everyday. In all my years of riding on the street I have never had a close call (knock on wood). But I’m also not an aggressive rider I’ll let cars over instead of trying to pass them, I go the speed limit and always watching the cars around me, never trusting no one. I guess my bike is a cruiser in disguise.
    I would say you probably have and you didn't even know it. One ill-advised lane change by the lady in the family truckster and you are done. It only takes once regardless of what you think, your cocky attitude will not help you.

I enjoyed riding my dads Kawasaki Concours by his house in BFE Iowa, it is big enough I find myself taking it easy and the bike is comfortable enough you just kind of relax and take in the scenery, but not sure I would like riding this around Denver. I am trying to sell my 1098 and go without a street bike as I have put double the miles on my race bike this year.
    Slow and fat, but entertaining...

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

The thing I would worry about is not getting enough of my 2 wheel fix. I mean how many track days can I do in one year (and afford). I'd love to race but I just bought this bike and even if I converted it the thing would make a terrible race bike. I think that I would love to have a cruiser or dual sport for the street and a race bike but $$$ is hard to come by these days.

2003 Triumph Bonneville (Goodwood green with gold inlay)

2006 Fusion White Speed Triple (SOLD)

I did my first track day last Sunday, and immediately fell in love with it. I ride 10 months out of the year and about 85% of my transportation is with my bike. Since the track day, I admit street riding has lost some excitement, but I still love doing it and I don't plan on ever stopping. I would like to have a track bike to escape the fear of dropping my street bike at the track, but it's not in the budget right now. In just over three years riding streets, I have seen several ill-advised lane changes and people pulling out right in front of me, but if you are an experienced street rider, you learn to expect these things to happen so that when they do, you've avoided disaster before a problem even presents itself. And no I don't consider three years experience, but I consider 50,000 street miles in three years decent experience. I rarely ride canyons and pretty much never stunt; I don't think streets are a place to fulfill an adrenaline fix on a motorcycle. I just enjoy riding around and not being enclosed in a car when I'm going from point a to point b. Although I do speed a little bit, I keep it relatively safe on the streets; now that I've been to the track, I don't even need the canyon rush anymore, which has made me that much safe on the streets.
    Track Bike: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R750
    Street Bike: 2008 Suzuki GSX-R750

Ok, just came back from one of the only "street" rides I've been on this year, and I gotta say it does not compare to the track one bit. Traffic, gravel, bicyclists, dogs, pedestrians, etc are not worth the hassel of trying to enjoy the ride IMO. Constantly having to watch out for distractions or hazards takes away from the whole experience.

Of course its nice to see beautiful Colorado, but I can do that from a car and have a great conversation with someone sitting next to me while doing so. Maybe take a picnic or hike instead...

I used to love riding EVERYWHERE. Any chance I got, I took the bike. But now, I really have no desire to ride the street much. I have to say that its a bit bittersweet considering I used to ride so much and enjoyed going to bike functions on the bike. But I also have to say that I get plenty of interaction with all the people I know that ride at the events, so? Guess as far as now, its not too bittersweet! Plus I love going to the track and seeing everyone. Camping out down there!

I think that I will become more of a strictly track rider as time goes on...

y, one of my regular customers rides AMA and he says whenever his friends start riding track they never go back. : / I'd love to get into racing but the $ side of it is daunting.
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

This is a VERY personal choice to anyone who rides two wheels. I understand the pros and cons of each (as others have already outlined), and I understand those who feel the threat of the street is simply too great for them personally. Any choice is a respectable choice. Even if that means for some, never riding again at all. It's private and personal and respectable.

However, it honestly doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Because it very much, in very simplistic terms, comes from what is within YOUR heart anyway. It is your confidence and your spirit and your love that drives you to either one, or both.

I have a great passion for both. But each for different reasons. Nobody else can tell you what's in your heart and the reasons for it. It just is.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Sat Sep 19th, 2009 at 01:14 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Board Newbie

2 years on a motorcycle for me so far and 2 track days. I frequently use the motorcycle to commute to and from work, 11 mi each way, with reasonable traffic. Only a short stretch of my commute is in Highlands Ranch which is where the crazy stuff seems to happen. I find myself using odd times of the day for canyon riding just to avoid traffic. My speed in the canyons has decreased significantly after the first track day. At the track the ambulance is right there, no oncoming traffic, no one on a cell phone, etc. I haven’t given up on street riding yet, I just work hard to stay alert and avoid traffic. Anyone know where I can find a used track only bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico View Post
    I would say you probably have and you didn't even know it. One ill-advised lane change by the lady in the family truckster and you are done. It only takes once regardless of what you think, your cocky attitude will not help you.

I don’t have a cocky attitude at all maybe I just been lucky.

BTW proper lane position is key so you can avoid the guy in the family truckster merging into your lane. I see so many riders that are riding in the incorrect lane, or lane position.

Thanks for all your opinions. I think I will probably be track only next year. I do wonder if i will get my 2 wheel fix but when I think about it I will be riding nearly as much just doing track anyway. For me anymore just cruising or commuting is boring to me. I have to agree with Nattynoo, I can take in scenery and enjoy it with my wife and daughter in a car and save my 2 wheel speed fix for the track. Riding a sport bike slow just dont do it for me. Im not saying Im superfast but I enjoy pushing my limits. Everytime Im stuck behind cars in the canyons all I think is man this sux. Hopefully I can get into racing, skillwise and financial wise soon.
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

^ I have been thinking about this during the past week when you started the thread.

I'll probably turn the 929 into a track only and get a Sumo for the street at the beginning of next season.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Whats a Sumo?

supermoto. i.e. dirt bike with street tires,rotors,brakes,rims
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

I love trackdays as much as the next guy, but I won't stop riding street either. I have my street bike and my track/race bike, so I'm fortunate that I don't have to give up either.

Ah, I know supermoto, never heard them called sumo's.

Quote Originally Posted by 675Rider View Post
    I rarely see anyone badly injured or bikes totalled at the track.

Just wondering some of your thoughts. Thanks.
    Aaron Clark
    Steve Fish
    Spider Bob
    There is always risk involved

I realize there is always risk, Im no dummy. I do feel however riding on the track is more of a calculated risk. Theres many more safety measures in place on a track and less elements that you cant control that are on the street.

Do most of you guys buy your track bikes outright? Im just curious if anyone gets loans to get them. Seems kinda stupid too (thus why I dont have one) since it could be totalled easily with no insurance.

2003 Triumph Bonneville (Goodwood green with gold inlay)

2006 Fusion White Speed Triple (SOLD)

If money wasn't an obstacle, I'd only ride on the track.

By the time you're doing anything at all exciting on the street, you're so far outside the law that it isn't worth it. I'm finding street riding less and less appealing every year for that reason.

Still paying on mine (no interest, paying off the selling party interest free). Meh. Doesn't really bother me that much since I can afford it. Been thinking about dropping the insurance and going track only with it (as previously stated).
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Definetly slowed down to enjoy the scenery more in the canyons after hitting the track a few times. The only negative is it cost over 1200 for 3 days of track riding. Thats a road trip. Just gotta weigh the options
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    Do most of you guys buy your track bikes outright?

Im just curious if anyone gets loans to get them.
    Some people do, I'm not sure what the percentage is.

Seems kinda stupid too (thus why I dont have one) since it could be totalled easily with no insurance.
    Regardless if it's paid for upfront, or over 5 years, if it gets totalled, you're still going to have to repair it without the help of insurance (this may depend from one insurance company/policy to another - some may cover you if it was a track day as opposed to a race). It just sucks more (well, it might seem like it does) when you have to make a payment every month towards a bike you can no longer ride.

IMHO: If you're making payments on it to make it affordable, and you don't have the money to repair it if you completely wad it up (think: subframe; swingarm; bodywork; forks; wheels), then don't push your limits, regardless of where you're riding, until it's paid off and/or you can afford it, cuz you'll be one sorry-ass mofo if you do break rule #1 on a bike you're still making payments on and can't afford to fix back up.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

It is hard to hop on a sportbike and abide by the "law" after riding the track. That's probably the hardest object.
    www.chuckdavisrestorations.com

Go Crutchlow #35

Go Hayden #69

Go Stoner #27 "The Absolute Intercontinental Ballistic Missile of MotoGP!"

Go Sykes #66 2013 WSBK Champion. Go Green!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Aaron Clark
    Steve Fish
    Spider Bob
    There is always risk involved
    Very true! But....
    I do believe the risk on the track can be less in more ways then on the street.

The track is more of a controlled environment.
    More run off room/less hard things to hit then on the street.
    In general we are wearing more/better safety gear on the track.
    Most track days/races have EMT's and Ambulances.
    No blue hairs or teens texting to run us over.

I remember street riding being fun but I have not rode the street since 2002. Since I started racing I have probably crashed 35 or so times. Of those crashes I was ambulanced to the hospital twice. One could have been life threatening if I was not able to get immediate medical attention.

So in my opinion we are safer on the track. More or less fun? All up to the individual.

Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!