Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG....why don't Americans just let the teachers raise their kids?

OMG....why don't Americans just let the teachers raise their kids?

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: OMG....why don't Americans just let the teachers raise their kids?

Schools are already so underfunded that teachers are getting laid off, and the ones that are left are having to buy supplies to teach kids out of their own pockets because the school can't afford things like copy paper or the toner to put something on it. I'd like to see where they expect to get the money to pay for another 3 hours a day of class time, or for a building to be staffed on weekends just so kids can drop in when they have nothing better to do.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Yep, money will be a problem. I don't think that Obama was the first one to come up with this - I remember GW Bush saying similar stuff.

Having interviewed a very large number of people in my career for technical jobs (either electrical engineers or electrical engineering technicians), I have to say our education system does need some work some where. The foreign students in general are more qualified and better prepared than the indigenous populace.

I just don't see how they are going to pay for it.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

I would be for fewer long breaks in the school year, but not for longer schooldays. I think 8+ hours a day is long enough for children. Our money would be better spent on improving the quality of the education, rather than the quantity. As previously posted, a long school day is worthless if we can't even afford our current school days.

He pretty much blew his wad out of the gate, and the more he pushes for more thoughtless spending, the more I am feeling that I want to kick him in the nuts.
    Last edited by chanke4252; Mon Sep 28th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

People keep talking about the quality of education. That is such a bunch of baloney. The quality of education is fine.
    The difference between us and other countries lies not in the quality of education, but in the quality of the student and family. I hate to liken a child to a product, but here goes so people will get it.

Everyone keeps complaining about education.....in what other business do you know that one has to produce a stellar output product when the materials come in damaged. In every other business, poor material get tossed. We have to educate every child....we are happy to do it.....but it isnt likely that you can expect a quality job for your child when you havent put in any time into developing them before they get there. We get kids hungry, angry, neglected, undisciplined, unmotivated, and then get parents complaining when they have to even come for a conference or monitor them, for crying out loud...talk to them.
    If you want to see how our kids are often treated, go to a Walmart and watch parents tell kids to shut up when they casually mention some pretty color on a package or ask what something is.
    If you're not willing to read to them, take them on interesting trips, care for them, provide a good environment (regardless of cost)...don't have them.
    As much as Obama wants to be all things to the poor, he'd be better off using his bully pulpit trying to tell parents as Bill Cosby did to take responsiblity for yourselves and yours....turn the damn TV off, put the cell phone away, and be all you can be for your kids.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora-11 View Post
    ...as Bill Cosby did to take responsibility for yourselves and yours....turn the damn TV off, put the cell phone away, and be all you can be for your kids.
    +1!!!!!!!

Freakin people just don't get it. Girls getting pregnant just cuz...it's the thing to do? F' that. Start testing for a parenting license...see what happens. Test for mental, emotional, psychological capacity...see what happens then.

A big ol freakin' revolt that's what will happen. But, I am so freakin tired of seeing some parents act like complete assholes with their kids. No wonder we've got such stupid shit happening in this country.

People want to have kids? Grow the fuck up yourselves before you even remotely consider the idea....GAH!

Ok, soap box done...as you were.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Education varies wildly by geographical location. Because of that, it is difficult to make generalizations about education as a whole (apples to oranges). However, the fact remains that many schools districts produce total and absolute shit, and funding is often a major factor (one that we can control and direct).

I mean what's the realistic solution here? Are we going to put the parents in jail for being bad parents? Ranting isn't part of a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by chanke4252 View Post

I mean what's the realistic solution here? Are we going to put the parents in jail for being bad parents? Ranting isn't part of a solution.

Neither is ranting about the Quality of education. The worst "products" are coming out of the most well-funded districts (think DC and some of the NYC districts). Proof positive that you can throw all the money you want at a problem and it lies NOT in the system.
    If other foreign systems can offer a better education....well....hot damn....hire some foreigners and BINGO!

"Posted by chanke4252"

Not gonna happen. I teach in the schools and there's never enough money to even run what we've got now. The president can speak about it all he wants but it will take a lot of money to pull it off. And then you've got to find more people to staff the extra hours who are certified to teach (fewer and fewer people get this certification as time goes on). Most of the teachers I know will not take on the extra hours either...we've curtailed our spending to match the hours we work now and all value our summers. And, before you say we should work summers, too, I dare you to do what we do on a daily basis and not get some time off from it.

Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by RCStylin' View Post
    Not gonna happen. I teach in the schools and there's never enough money to even run what we've got now. The president can speak about it all he wants but it will take a lot of money to pull it off. And then you've got to find more people to staff the extra hours who are certified to teach (fewer and fewer people get this certification as time goes on). Most of the teachers I know will not take on the extra hours either...we've curtailed our spending to match the hours we work now and all value our summers. And, before you say we should work summers, too, I dare you to do what we do on a daily basis and not get some time off from it.

Not gonna happen.

+1

"Posted by chanke4252"

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

They don't have a law to go to church, but they have one to require kids to go to school. If liberal ideas are a religion of there own why isn't anyone sueing the schools for religious freedom. Or requiring people to go to church.
    When they teach them about global warming and sing songs about Obama it sounds like they are indoctrinating the kids.

But the Federal Government doesn't pay for schools. Property taxes do and they already are really high. I don't think people are going to pay another 25% for another 3 months in school. But that's just my feelings on it.
    Last edited by DavidofColorado; Mon Sep 28th, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Neither is ranting about the Quality of education. The worst "products" are coming out of the most well-funded districts (think DC and some of the NYC districts). Proof positive that you can throw all the money you want at a problem and it lies NOT in the system.
    If other foreign systems can offer a better education....well....hot damn....hire some foreigners and BINGO!
    Not ranting, just trying to focus on something that can be controlled and improved that does affect the issue (even if it isn't the cause). It is obvious that you think that shitty parenting is a primary cause, and I think you are largely right. Though, how do you suggest we improve that? Are you suggesting we bring big brother into our houses to dictate how we raise our children? As shitty as many people are at parenting, the government is SO much worse in that department.

Also, as I've said before, this topic varies wildly by region, those parts of DC and NYC being at one VERY extreme end of the spectrum. These areas do not AT ALL represent the country as a whole, or fall anywhere close to the middle of the curve.
    Last edited by chanke4252; Mon Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:14 PM.

Remove the "no parent accountable" clause from the "no child left behind" scam
    Mike

Then there's not a heck of a lot we can do either. We feed the kids two meals a day, provide clothing, provide counseling, sex ed, drug awareness, career counseling in 8th grade, tech, art, music, PE, band, afternoon enrichments, clubs, social networking, afterschool homework help, advisee, silent reading time, and anything else that gets thrown into that year's curriculum (usually some vague trend that gets started and thrown out when the community loses interest in it.)
    We don't really complain too much about any of this. We do it because the kids need it.....but for the people who complain about education needing to be made quality...sorry..it gnaws on my bones like nothing else does. ...oh yeah....there's some reading, 'riting, 'rithmetic in there somewhere.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

The three are's rock.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by DavidofColorado View Post
    When they teach them about global warming and sing songs about Obama it sounds like they are indoctrinating the kids.
    I have a feeling you don't have any problems with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg

I think keeping schools open late and on weekends might be a good idea. Cost is always an issue, but it might help some kids stay out of trouble if they have somewhere to go. I think it being optional would be key.

Quote Originally Posted by VryfastRR View Post
    I have a feeling you don't have any problems with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg
    This isnt a public school. They can do whatever the heck they want to at their religious school.
    geeez

"Posted by chanke4252"

WHAT!? The president can't visit a school? The kids sang Christmas carols for him.
    FDR....he visited for a play. WHAT?
    How are you relating the kids singing a song hailing Obama to these? Sorry...not getting it.

"Posted by chanke4252"

People keep talking about the quality of education. That is such a bunch of baloney. The quality of education is fine.
    The difference between us and other countries lies not in the quality of education, but in the quality of the student and family. I hate to liken a child to a product, but here goes so people will get it.

Everyone keeps complaining about education.....in what other business do you know that one has to produce a stellar output product when the materials come in damaged. In every other business, poor material get tossed. We have to educate every child....we are happy to do it.....but it isnt likely that you can expect a quality job for your child when you havent put in any time into developing them before they get there. We get kids hungry, angry, neglected, undisciplined, unmotivated, and then get parents complaining when they have to even come for a conference or monitor them, for crying out loud...talk to them.
    If you want to see how our kids are often treated, go to a Walmart and watch parents tell kids to shut up when they casually mention some pretty color on a package or ask what something is.
    If you're not willing to read to them, take them on interesting trips, care for them, provide a good environment (regardless of cost)...don't have them.
    As much as Obama wants to be all things to the poor, he'd be better off using his bully pulpit trying to tell parents as Bill Cosby did to take responsiblity for yourselves and yours....turn the damn TV off, put the cell phone away, and be all you can be for your kids.

You know your right. Your a great teacher that has alot of one sided views on things. But aren't teacher's so post to teach kids to look at both sides of a subject? Weigh the good and bad?

Quality is a complete joke. I have had teachers that could careless about a kid or what happens to them. But I have also had the teachers that would do anything to help you get something right or understand something. (Didn't have enough of those)

With this I think more time in school is not a bad idea.(I wish I used mine a little better) But money is a big issue. So this is not likely to happen. No point to really rant about it. Now is there?

I could sit here and point out things that your missing all day because of how ONE SIDED you are with everything.

You can blame the PRO-LIFE people for that one. It is simple and alot of people know that there are people not ready to take care of someone other then themselfs or can afford it.
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

Then damn it! Sterilize yourself, wear a condon, or take birth control.

You forget little one....that I'm 50 years old....I've already been around long enough to look at both sides....and THIS is the one I picked. I don't have to compromise my beliefs for anyone because I might hurt their little feelings.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

WHAT!? The president can't visit a school? The kids sang Christmas carols for him.
    FDR....he visited for a play. WHAT?
    How are you relating the kids singing a song hailing Obama to these? Sorry...not getting it.
    Pretty sure G-Dub was in an elementary school when 9/11 happened too. I think he was reading TO the kids. Probably indoctrinating them to the wonders of Hooked on Phonics Vol. 2 or whatever book he was into at the time.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'll take Hooked on Phonics anyday to Hooked on Marxism.....or Spread the Wealth for Dummies.

"Posted by chanke4252"

Then damn it! Sterilize yourself, wear a condon, or take birth control.

You forget little one....that I'm 50 years old....I've already been around long enough to look at both sides....and THIS is the one I picked. I don't have to compromise my beliefs for anyone because I might hurt their little feelings.

Really you have been around long enough to look at both sides? Then why is everything that comes out of your keyboard completely biased?

ADD: Oh and I am done. Not going to read this thread again.
    Last edited by Tipys; Mon Sep 28th, 2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Add
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009