Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pikes Peak Harley/Ducati & general rant...

Pikes Peak Harley/Ducati & general rant...

I emailed these guys about the 848 they have on fleabay, asked about trading my 1098 for it because I really want to race an 848 next year. My 1098 has 800 miles and a few aftermarket goodies on it, their 848 is a demo with 950 miles and is bone stock.

NADA and Blue Book put the values of the two bikes within $50 before factoring in any parts added, I offered to pay $500 plus my bike to sweeten the deal for them.

He hits me back with an offer of my bike plus $4300 for their 848.

Ok, so my used bike is worth the same as yours but for the pleasure of dealing with you a-holes I get to pay $4300?

I love Ducs but all the shops in town have pretty much f-ed up ever getting my business. The business model for Ducati should be much like luxury cars, treat the customer like gold and make money on their repeat business for service and parts which Ducs do need a lot of. Instead I will never deal with Erico, Fay, or Pikes Peak and will take my bike to Boulder Motorsports or elsewhere to service.
    Slow and fat, but entertaining...

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

Re: Pikes Peak Harley/Ducati & general rant...

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried talking to Brian at Boulder Motorsports? Maybe he can put you in contact looking for a bike like yours or someone wanting to trade.
    Mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Were you comparing trade in to used prices? Cuz if not that seems pretty absurd.

Used bikes is where most dealers make most of they're money but if they are that close in value +4k is laughable.

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

No I was comparing book to book, retail or trade the two bikes are within $50 of each other using either comparison.

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

The problem is that the KBB trade-in value on a 2008 1098 (not R or S) is $9150. The suggested retail on a 2009 848 is $11250. The $4300 is way off the $2100 difference between the two though. Let your wallet do the talking!

Then, wow... just wow. I could have understood 1k, maybe 2k, but 4300?

Try selling it on our own, you're always in a stronger position if you don't trade.

Two Down, God only knows how many to go... Fucking DEER!

Any dealer who thinks they are going to make $2000 profit on a used bike at the end of the season is missing the boat. I work in the car business, I fully understand dealers operate for profit, but when you consider carrying cost and the fact that my bike on NADA Guides which is normally more accurate than KBB shows an average retail $200 higher before the aftermarket pieces are factored in, plus the fact that I offered $500 on top of the bike, they would have stood to potentially make $1000 for a transaction requiring no work whatsoever as I wouldn't be registering it or insuring it or anything.

I know my bike isn't worth shit right now, but neither is theirs and they seem to think otherwise....

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

I agree the offer seems absurd but the dealers are not going to do an (almost) even trade on a bike (or a car for that matter). Not worth there time and trouble to make just a few dollars and then be stuck with another used bike they need to sell.
    I honestly don't know of any dealer that I've run across (good and bad) that would do the offer you wanted. Bottom line is they are in business to make money and that's just not a good deal for them. They are better off waiting for someone to pay cash or finance the 848 and not deal with a trade in that is so close in value.

// MRA #888 //
    Current Bikes: 2007 Triumph 675 (race) : 2009 Ducati 1198 : 2004 Yamaha YZ250F : 2011 Ducati 796 Monster (wifes)

It makes me so glad to know these are the same idiots who took in a 996 Fila for $8k this spring....yes it was a salvaged 996 with Chinese Fila bodywork and the dealer seriously gave them $8k for it....last I saw it was on fleabay for like $6k.

They sure do know how to make money....

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

duc service = supertune

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico View Post
    It makes me so glad to know these are the same idiots who took in a 996 Fila for $8k this spring....yes it was a salvaged 996 with Chinese Fila bodywork and the dealer seriously gave them $8k for it....last I saw it was on fleabay for like $6k.

They sure do know how to make money....

I've always had a great experience with Erico, but back when I had a BMW, I bought and serviced it at Foothills, who now owns Northern Colorado BMW Ducati--give them a try if you are willing to make the trek way up north.

Board Newbie

I am sorry you had a bad experience but I have heard similar stories from other Duc Riders about that place.

The guy who is about to buy my 1098 said he went in and they wanted $1000 OVER MSRP plus fees and tax for a base 1198, and they also quoted him $14k for the demo 848 in my original post and that it had numerous scratches on it.

I think that clearly shows these guys are in another world, good luck staying in business...

06 675
    74 CB450
    MRA#91

Quote Originally Posted by Desmodromico View Post
    I emailed these guys about the 848 they have on fleabay, asked about trading my 1098 for it because I really want to race an 848 next year. My 1098 has 800 miles and a few aftermarket goodies on it, their 848 is a demo with 950 miles and is bone stock.

NADA and Blue Book put the values of the two bikes within $50 before factoring in any parts added, I offered to pay $500 plus my bike to sweeten the deal for them.

He hits me back with an offer of my bike plus $4300 for their 848.

Ok, so my used bike is worth the same as yours but for the pleasure of dealing with you a-holes I get to pay $4300?

I love Ducs but all the shops in town have pretty much f-ed up ever getting my business. The business model for Ducati should be much like luxury cars, treat the customer like gold and make money on their repeat business for service and parts which Ducs do need a lot of. Instead I will never deal with Erico, Fay, or Pikes Peak and will take my bike to Boulder Motorsports or elsewhere to service.

What's your issue with Erico? Never used them, but I was recommended by an RF1 Racing Forum. I've got a brand new RSV R that I was thinking of bringing up there for the 600 mile break in service.

Anybody else in Denver or the Springs do quality work on Aprilia's?
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by sgt775 View Post
    What's your issue with Erico? Never used them, but I was recommended by an RF1 Racing Forum. I've got a brand new RSV R that I was thinking of bringing up there for the 600 mile break in service.

I would check out Fay Myers. In full disclosure I do work there but that doesn't change the fact that in service we have Aaron Clark (Clarkie), one of the top Aprilia techs in the country.

Sounds good, thanks.

Quick question, do you guys do factory warranty work?
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

When I owned an Ape, my only choices were driving up to Denver or dealing with the morons at PPHD. I made the mistake of taking it in there once for recall work and once for service. They promised to have my bike back "as soon as we can get to it". When I pressed them for a date, they said they'd have it done in 24 hours. 4 days later and they hadn't touched my bike. Apparently, they had Harley riders on some trip and they bumped my bike down the priority list so they could take care of them first. Once I got my bike back (almost a week after dropping it off), I told them I would never be back. They didn't care. Soon after, I sold my Ape and I've never set foot in PPHD again.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    When I owned an Ape, my only choices were driving up to Denver or dealing with the morons at PPHD. I made the mistake of taking it in there once for recall work and once for service. They promised to have my bike back "as soon as we can get to it". When I pressed them for a date, they said they'd have it done in 24 hours. 4 days later and they hadn't touched my bike. Apparently, they had Harley riders on some trip and they bumped my bike down the priority list so they could take care of them first. Once I got my bike back (almost a week after dropping it off), I told them I would never be back. They didn't care. Soon after, I sold my Ape and I've never set foot in PPHD again.

Thanks for the info. I guess PPHD is a popular place here.

Just curious, but why'd you sell the ape? I hope you traded up to something pretty nice.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR

damn that's pretty crazy. Try to hit them up when it's cold and nothing's selling.

Yea... I Regret having to deal with them Pikes Peak Harley/Ducati/BMW. Love the bike, but getting anything done by them is like getting eye teeth pulled by a pair of tweezers. If I have a choice (and knowing what I know now), I won't do business with them again.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

I have been wanting a Duc for a while, specifically the Hayden 848. Anyways, these kinds of posts worry me about picking up a Duc. I have always heard Duc's were expensive to maintain but there is a difference between that and bad companies to deal with. I guess I will wait and see if something else pops up.

I would just avoid PPHD... Go to Denver if you need to. I stopped in at Erico's (when I went looking at a APE RSV) and was treated pretty good up there, even without buying.
    '95 Suziki GSXF 600 (Katana) (sold)
    '10 BMW S1000RR (aka. Black Betty) Thunder Grey (Totaled)
    '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Sounds good, thanks.

Quick question, do you guys do factory warranty work?
    Yes, we do warranty work for all the brands we sell. Which of course includes Aprilia