Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago 2016

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

Chicago 2016

So after hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayer money, thousands of tons of carbon being dumped in the atmosphere and the most powerful man in the world NOT DOING HIS FLIPPING JOB....Obama failed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091002/...l/oly2016_bids

Too bad dude, now get back to the job you were actually hired to do.
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: Chicago 2016

Bombs in Madrid

AIDS in Rio

Where can I buy tickets?
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

AKA "Devaclis"

$100 million is what they are estimating the entire campaign cost.

If they had a child killing competition in the Olympics, Chi town would be at the top of the list.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Stunned! I really thought that the Obamas wouldn't go unless it was already a done deal. Wow....

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    Bombs in Madrid

AIDS in Rio

Where can I buy tickets?
    The Dakar > The Olympics
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    The Dakar > The Olympics
    Yeppers
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

I guess they didn't want Gangmember beatings as a new event.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

AKA "Devaclis"

Rio just got it. Yay! Kidnappings, whores, and filth!

Bring an EXTRA Ear if you go
    http://www.rapidfirebunker.com
    $15 FFL TRANSFERS. $15 Private Transfers
    Emergency Preparedness Store, Survival BULK Food, knives, Guns, Ammo, FREEDOM

So... really, add some 2X4 beatings and you have Chicago?!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

We are all going to be dead in 2012... party like it is 1999 now... LOL

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Shea, I'm sure you'll say now that you condemned Bush when he spent 4 days watching the Olympics in China. Uhh-huhh.

With a payoff of tens of billions, an investment of 100 million ain't shit.

Chicago lost weeks ago, because:
    a. We get a lot of the Olympics.
    b. South America has never had the Olympics.
    c. It's harder to get into the US since 9/11. (Right or not, it was a factor from what I heard.)

Obama was asked to go as a last-ditch effort by the Chicago committee. They knew it was a long shot, and Obama knew it was too. That's why he didn't want to go, because when they inevitably didn't get it, the pile-on commenced. It's pretty disgusting how gleeful the right is that the U.S. lost out on billions worth of jobs and commerce.

Pigboy Limbaugh:
    LIMBAUGH: For those of you on the other side of the aisle listening in who are upset that I sound gleeful -- I am. I don't deny it. I'm happy. Anything that gets in the way of Barack Obama accomplishing his domestic agenda is fine with me.
    "Tears of a Clown" Beck:
    "Do not go anywhere. Don't -- do not look at the screen. Don't -- don't go to any other radio stations. Nothing. You don't want to hear this news -- I mean, please, please let me break this news to you. Oh, it's so sweet." [After a commercial break, Beck's producer stated that] "The first round of voting is up for the Olympic games, and the first city" [at which point Beck interrupted, saying] "Wait! Wait for it! Wait for it. Enjoy this -- savor this moment." [The producer continued] "And the first city to be eliminated is Chicago." [Beck later asked his producer if Chicago's elimination was proof that Obama had "failed."]
    We've come from "USA! USA! USA!" to this horseshit.

And way to condemn a great American city of 8 million people because of one incident, guys. I guess Columbine should define Denver, huh?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Shea, I'm sure you'll say now that you condemned Bush when he spent 4 days watching the Olympics in China. Uhh-huhh.

Interesting reading:

http://www.econ.queensu.ca/working_p...ed_wp_1097.pdf

As we see from Table 5 above, even the most generous measure of net benefit ofthe Olympics – Event Benefits minus Event Costs – is negative (-$101m), although by a lesser amount than was anticipated at the beginning of the project. This figure is “helped” by fully evaluating the extra surplus from the spectacle and the Halo.

However, there are a number of factors which push the actual net benefit of this much-celebrated project even further into the red. The first, of course, are the infrastructure costs discussed in section 1. While this paper did not rigorously assess these, a casual perusal of the Infrastructure Costs and the non-Olympic Infrastructure Benefits which might be expected reveals that the net contribution of Infrastructure to the Olympic “bottom line” will be negative by hundreds of millions of dollars. While these costs are obvious, the standard counter-argument is that they will be offset by the “economic impact” of the Games. However, section 4 of this paper revealed that “economic impact”, when correctly accounted for, is not nearly as large as is generally assumed. When combined with the substantial upside risks inherent in costs of public works projects48, the expected overall net benefit of hosting an Olympic Games is substantially negative.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Is Obama even a US citizen yet?
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Dirk, I'm not going to argue the minutiae of some random guy's Master's Thesis. Experience has shown that most Olympics have been economic wins. (Montreal was notably not.)

This country needs jobs and the Olympics would have provided some.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard

Dirk, I'm not going to argue the minutiae of some random guy's Master's Thesis. Experience has shown that most Olympics have been economic wins. (Montreal was notably not.)

OMG!!!!!! ARE YOU ARGUING WITH DIRK????

"....dumb.....arrogant......condescending..... .
    lunatic.....douche....limited.....nut-case...."

oh...and from PMs "dumb broad".

"Posted by chanke4252"

If the Chicago Olympic Committee wanted to get Rio out of the way, all they had to do was show a video of "City of God"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317248/

Based on a true story. And very disturbing.

It's pretty disgusting how gleeful the right is that the U.S. lost out on billions worth of jobs and commerce.
    ...We've come from "USA! USA! USA!" to this horseshit.

And way to condemn a great American city of 8 million people because of one incident, guys. I guess Columbine should define Denver, huh?
    It's equally disgusting as it was when the Democrats carried on in the same manner of opposition to anything President Bush did during his term in office. Both sides are guilty and no one gets off the hook for it.

While the Olympics would have brought several jobs to the country, if that was the main motivation then why wasn't Detroit an option? Part of the reason that Chicago implored President Obama to represent them afar is that he is their former senator. I'm wondering how much that fact alone was behind Chicago's push to host another Olympics. An infusion of jobs is much needed in this country, but increasing debt to buy a few temporary jobs is not going to be a long term solution.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Dirk, I'm not going to argue the minutiae of some random guy's Master's Thesis.
    Yeah, it's much easier just to pronounce the world to be the way you want it to be, no? If there's a flaw in the paper, point it out.

Experience has shown that most Olympics have been economic wins.
    Show me the analysis.

Yeah, but it needs real jobs not parasitic jobs "created" with taxes.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

The best thing that Colorado ever turned down ---- 1972 Winter games you think I-70's bad now .................

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...012stone.shtml

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Shea's Avatar

So your argument is that regardless of my position on the former administrations Olympic trip, I have no standing to question Obama? Is that it?

Tens of billions? Show me where you get that figure?

Chicago lost weeks ago, because:
    a. We get a lot of the Olympics.
    b. South America has never had the Olympics.
    c. It's harder to get into the US since 9/11. (Right or not, it was a factor from what I heard.)
    So we spent how much money for him and his wife to fly there for no reason? Well I want that money paid back.

Obama was asked to go as a last-ditch effort by the Chicago committee. They knew it was a long shot, and Obama knew it was too. That's why he didn't want to go, because when they inevitably didn't get it, the pile-on commenced. It's pretty disgusting how gleeful the right is that the U.S. lost out on billions worth of jobs and commerce.
    So Obama was just an innocent bystander, who against his will, was forced to go there on a mission he just KNEW was going to fail. Wow...

I'm sorry where did I condemn a great American city Wintermute? Or are you just using yet another strawman argument?
    Shea
    Now bikeless...

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    THERE IS NO TIME FOR RATIONAL SOLUTIONS!
    WE HAVE TO TAKE DRASTIC IRRATIONAL MEASURES NOW!
    LIVES ARE IN DANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    The best thing that Colorado ever turned down ---- 1972 Winter games you think I-70's bad now .................

http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...012stone.shtml
    Good Story - they would have had to make the I-70 this wide!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yeah, it's much easier just to pronounce the world to be the way you want it to be, no? If there's a flaw in the paper, point it out.
    I'm not going to grade some Australian's Master's Thesis forecasting that an Olympics that hasn't happened will lose money. I don't give a shit if he gets his degree. For all I know he's a gibbering idiot.

Show me the analysis.
    Isn't the fact that cities spend hundreds of millions competing for the Olympics is proof in and of itself that they're a good investment? Since what you really want to do is play the "The libtard link you supply is biased, here's my rightard source" game, let me introduce you to Google.

Yeah, but it needs real jobs not parasitic jobs "created" with taxes.
    Most of the Olympics are paid for by private funds. Chicago would have paid for overruns. (Which would certainly happen.)

As for your disdain for jobs created with taxes, you know what one of the biggest CCC projects in the country was back in the day? Red Rocks. So if you're really, truly against parasitic jobs created with taxes, you better never go to another show up there or be branded a hypocrite.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    08 KTM Super Duke Rtard