Thread: Buell is Back!!!

Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Re: Buell is Back!!!

Good for him.
    Looks like it still has that big nose.

Well... he never actually left. The 1190 was the bike in development when HD closed the doors.

Erik still needs to wait for his non-compete clause to expire, he needs to either purchase or license his designs that are now owned by HD and he needs to find a manufacturer as well as a distribution chain to sell the bikes.

Logically, you would think that BRP or Polaris would be the front runners if anyone would.

I wish him the best, the 1125R was a kick in the pants to ride. I would love to see Buell for sale at Fay's or Grand Prix some day.

Here's some pics and vid of the 1190S w/ tail lights... Erik wouldn't waste time with this if he wasn't considering a come back.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

AKA "Devaclis"

It would be great to see Buell come back and be successful.

There have been numerous articles recently regarding the aging Harley generation. the fact that the old guys are not being replaced with new, young Harley riders is stressing the company pretty badly. This is why they got rid of Buell. Trimming the fat.

I think that Buell, if given a REAL chance and not just presented as a secondary deliverable by Harley, would be a hell of a runner here in the U.S. where brand loyalty seems to be in vogue. Getting a younger generation on an American sportbike would be the equivalent of the G.I.'s embracing the U.S. made Harleys after the war. It could be epic.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

^^Gee...I can't imagine why young riders would pass up a Harley, especially when it's price to sell at the low, low price of just $30k otd...

I say more power to Erik. Make 'em local, make 'em affordable, and make 'em competitive and American sportbike manufacturing will be back on the map again.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I would love to see Erik be sucessful .. that would be a nice at HD dumping Buell
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I just don't see it happening, especially not in this economy. There are definitely people out there who will buy them because they're different...but the sportbike community likes performance and technical prowess. Good luck to him...he is tenacious.

Dear God,
    Please do not let Buell choose Polaris to manufacture and distribute his products.
    Amen

^^ Any specific reason? They seem do have done fine w/ Victory...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

yeah no latching on another cruiser chain..bad juju- the cruiser guys are a different subculture and his bikes will get the bastard child treatment again... best to offer franchises to people who want to sell buellls--- a tall order too-- the liter bike class is full of techno power houses--and the next round looks to have all of them offering traction control and abs--- somthing this buell lacks--of course if the price was really good he'd sell a bunch!-- I do believe the styling needs a bit more work--

Polaris also does Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo and Can-Am, way more than just Victory. It would actually be a good fit for their products.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

^^ Actually, you've got BRP and Polaris confused...

BRP:
    -Sea-Doo
    -Evinrude
    -Can-Am
    -Rotax
    -Ski-Doo
    -Lynx

Polaris
    -Full line of ATV's, snowmobiles, golf carts - All labeled Polaris
    -Victory motorcycles

Personally, I could see BRP working something up since they already have a partnership w/ Rotax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrider View Post
    Dear God,
    Please do not let Buell choose Polaris to manufacture and distribute his products.
    Amen
    ^^ Any specific reason? They seem do have done fine w/ Victory...

my answer would be this:
    http://www.motorcycle.com/news/polar...ant-89573.html

Polaris has announced plans to shut down its Osceola, Wis. manufacturing plant, while establishing a new facility in Mexico and creating “manufacturing centers of excellence” by enhancing existing facilities in Roseau, Minn. and Spirit Lake, Iowa. The Osceola plant employs more than 500 people. The town’s population numbers 2,421, according to the 2000 census.

^^Interesting read... sucks that more manufacturing jobs are being outsourced but this is nothing that HD or any of the big three automakers haven't been doing for years.

Polaris is moving its Wisconsin operations but Victory production will remain in Spirit Lake.

I guess that makes it all right then.

Never mind - sign me up

never said it was right, just that it's nothing new...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Not my cup of tea, but I wish them the best.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

^^Interesting read... sucks that more manufacturing jobs are being outsourced but this is nothing that HD or any of the big three automakers haven't been doing for years.
    Yep, until we hold China and others to the same labor and environmental standards that domestic manufacturers have to meet, the inevitability of the destruction of domestic manufacturing is a foregone conclusion.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Yearly Supporter green_zx7r's Avatar

I am not a huge Buell fan, but I still think this is one of the sexiest bikes eva...
    Yusuke (U-skay)
    2002 WSBK Eric Bostrom Monza Wild Card Replica ZX-7R
    2006 Track prepped ZX-6R

Always and forever will be a Kawasaki rider.

+1 not everybody and their aunt has one.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Woohoo!
    Randy
    2008 Yamaha R1
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2004 Subaru Forester XT
    2009 Subaru Forester

Not only the moving out of the country thing, but have you ever worked on a PaulHarris?
    Torx, Metric, Standard, and other kinds of fasteners all thrown onto one machine.

Haven't met a mechanic yet that likes working on them. Esp with all of the stupid crap that goes wrong with them. I know of a certain known problem on a certain quad that goes wrong with EVERY one of them, and yet Polaris decided that even the recall (that usually goes bad too) is cheaper than doing the new part, and continued with the part for three years.