Thread: Gearing suggestions?

Gearing suggestions?

Alright...I am going to be replacing my sprockets and chain w/in the near future. I wanted to get some suggestions on the gearing. Stock for my bike is 15/43. I have heard that -1/+2 usually works well. Also, I have heard conflicting stories on whether changing the gearing will affect the speedo or not. The guys at TFOG say that the F2 reads off the front wheel so it doesn't matter. I have also heard that changing the gearing would affect fuel economy and possibly more vibration in the pegs... . So, any suggestions would be helpful!

Why do you want to change it?

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Gearing suggestions?

I believe the guys at TFOG are right, the spedo on that bike drives off the front wheel, so changing gearing won't change the spedo.

I changed the gearing on my bike a bit because it was geared so tall to begin with. I went 3 up in the back and didn't mess with the front. Making the sprocket too small up front will reduce chain life significantly. It comes off the line a bit better now and I like it better in mid to low speed corners, so I think that worked out well. The gearing change wasn't drastic and I would recommend against making too big of a change. Gearing down too much will make the bike want to wheelie much more easily.

You may notice the other mentioned downsides, but mostly only if you spend a lot of time commuting or riding in top gear. If your primary use for the bike is commuting then I would stick with the stock gearing. If your canyon strafing or doing track days then you will not notice the fuel economy change or the additional buzz in the pegs.

Best to you.

Scott