Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

Re: Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

You can ride one on almost any trail (not Supermoto), it is just not the best trail bike, it is heavy, has marginal suspension, and an underpowered engine.
    I believe in buying the bike that is perfect for your main use and then modify/compromise as needed for secondary uses. If you want a reliable utility bike the DrZ is a great choice but I am way more interested in riding trails so although my bikes are plated I don't take any pleasure in riding up to the trails, I trailer my bke where k want to ride. Now when I have the sumo wheels on the 525 I will take it to the canyons and in the tight stuff I have little difficulty hanging with sportbikes.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Ummmm, I'll have to disagree with that. I've had some great dirt rides, but nothing like the street rides I've done, especially this summer.
    That only means you ride crap trails. If I had to choose between trails and street, there would be no hesitation. Any monkey can ride a street bike.

Definitely makes alot of sense, if i just had a truck i would pick up a 2 stroke 250 and call it a day but alas i have to be able to ride to the dirt. If i do switch i think ill try and get something more trail oriented since thats the idea behind the switch.

Is their anywhere you can go to rent a dirt bike for a reasonable price? I cant justify selling my f4i to buy a completely different setup if i dont know for sure im going to like riding trails more.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    That only means you ride crap trails. If I had to choose between trails and street, there would be no hesitation. Any monkey can ride a street bike.
    Mmmm, I did some really technical trails a few years agi near Buena Vista (I can find out where if interested). My buddies thought they were awesome, but I really don't like the really tight stuff like that. I have a '91 KX500 set up for running desert (lived in the SoCal desert not too far from Barstow), and that bike was NOT the thing to have riding those trails......in the cold rain....almost at treeline....jetted for Cleveland at 200ft above sea level. I got so tired of keeping the thing running and kick-starting the beast. We went up and down really steep, scary, rutted, boulder-lined trails, and, honestly, I'm surprised I didn't biff it except when I just stepped off it once when I was just too damn tired to save it again when I hit a big wet tree root. We did some stream crossings of probably 2' deep as well. I had much more fun the next day running flat out on the fire roads and up some steep double track at speed. THAT'S what that bike was meant for. I LOVED riding it in the desert when I lived out there. Trails in almost every direction as far as you could see. I think Moab would be a great place for it once I rejet it. Got the 5-gal tank and skidplates already.

Any monkey can ride a dirtbike as well. I prefer the streetbike because there's no way you could do 1,800 miles in 4 days on a dirtbike, thru the scenery and twisties I went thru. And if you don't think the roads I found weren't a total adrenalin rush.....well.......you didn't look at the pictures hard enough......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I don’t know of any dirt rentals. I have a 30” inseam and both my YZ and DRZ have been lowered ‘bout 2 inches, and I shaved the seat foam another inch. Made one giant diff in my dirt riding and the sumo handles better with a lower COG.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post

Any monkey can ride a dirtbike as well. I prefer the streetbike because there's no way you could do 1,800 miles in 4 days on a dirtbike, thru the scenery and twisties I went thru. And if you don't think the roads I found weren't a total adrenalin rush.....well.......you didn't look at the pictures hard enough......
    I didn't look at the pictures at all as touring has no real interest for me :yawn: We are talking adrenaline rush not no-doz.

I am sorry for you that your trail riding experience in CO has been one poor weather day on a poorly tuned bike that has no business being on anything except a dessert or MX track without moderate modifications. I would say your friends were total assholes to take you there for your first ride. There is a ton of easy shit up there.

Sorry dude coming in here with that argument is like trying to argue water isn't wet, you're just bored and looking for a debate.

I think i have watched almost all of your dirt / trail videos, they are probably one of the main things to get me excited lol.

Decided what im going to do as well.. going to hold out for a couple months and save up and just pick up an enduro when a deal comes along, if i love dirt more then street ill sell my f4i, if i love street more then dirt ill sell the enduro, and if i love both equally then ill have to scrape along being happy but broke.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I didn't look at the pictures at all as touring has no real interest for me :yawn: We are talking adrenaline rush not no-doz.

I am sorry for you that your trail riding experience in CO has been one poor weather day on a poorly tuned bike that has no business being on anything except a dessert or MX track without moderate modifications. I would say your friends were total assholes to take you there for your first ride. There is a ton of easy shit up there.

Sorry dude coming in here with that argument is like trying to argue water isn't wet, you're just bored and looking for a debate.
    It was my fault for going, but I still had a lot of fun and don't regret it at all. the thing that sucked was it rained in the area all day Fri as I was driving there and all Sat as we rode, and it was just slippery and muddy and just nasty. As tough as it was, the way the bike was stalling, and not having ridden in years I was pretty pleased to not crash. I should have had it rejetted, but it was a last-minute deal and I didn't have time. I need to find some more open trails to my liking. The bike still did pretty well though as it's got tons of power, even jetted wrong. Probably better it WASN'T at full strength in those conditions. I'd be up for some trails with a group of y'all. I'd have to trailer it though.

Ah, these were special roads. No "no-doz" here. I'd say they were the equal or better than any of the twisties I've ridden here. we'll have to agree to disagree.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)