Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

I watch videos of people riding dirt and just get so jealous, i have always wanted a dirt bike but decided to get a street bike as my first bike and just wound up buying the f4i when a found a decent deal. Im really getting the itch to sell/trade the f4i away for a drz400 enduro hopefully with a set of sumo wheels, can tear up the dirt or the street.

One of the reasons i got the f4i was the highway stability and i had planned on doing some decently long trips but have never gotten around to doing anything i couldnt have done on a drz i think.

Will the drz be compareable to the f4i in any way at all? I know the drz gets great gas mileage, has a small stock tank, but im assuming it also has really cheap insurance.

Also what kind of gear do you guys wear when riding on the street to dirt, textile / leather / hybrid or what? I am clueless lol.

Any info about dirtbikes, gear, riding dirt or riding sumo would be appreciated.

Re: Oh dirt.. why do you look like so much fun?

That DRZ will feel a lot different. It'll be a lot less stable at highway speeds. The cornering/handling will feel different. My WR costs $20 a month for full coverage, and I'm a 24 year old single male. I wear regular bike gear on the WR since I don't have any sumo gear, but I DO want a sumo helmet since I don't want to trash my arai if I fack up in the dirt. A lot of guys also wear full MX gear if they do sumo track days (I'm assuming they have them in CO just like they do here in WV). You will definitely feel a lack of power switching to a sumo though. Unless you get something with a beefy engine. Going from my R6 to the WR250 is obviously a huge stretch. But it's refreshing to ride the R6 for a few weeks, then jump no the WR for a completely different type of ride

Insurance on the DR-Z is SUPER cheap. I pay less than $10/mo for full coverage for my '09 S.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

AKA "Devaclis"

The DRZ is nothing like the F4i in any way other than they are both motorcycles.

The DRZ, with road tires is stable at highway speeds, but it is not fast.

The DRZ it tall and top heavy and I hate crashing ONLY because I hate picking the damned thing back up.

The DRZ is cheaper to buy and insure

The DRZ is not a canyon carver (by design)

The DRZ can take you anywhere on and off road you want to go and carry all of your gear with it.

The DRZ is a more forgiving bike. It handles gravel on the streets better. It will take bumps, holes, ditches, stairs, old ladies MUCH better than a sportbike.

The DRZ has a shorter range. I get about 80 miles out of a tank.

The DRZ is more fun

THe DRZ is more versatile

The DRZ is more likely to get you ticketed for trespassing, riding on sidewalks, riding in school yards, going up and down stairs, wheelies, stopies, roosting, and general hooliganism.

The DRZ will also score you TONS of chics.

But it. I dare ya.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    The DRZ is nothing like the F4i in any way other than they are both motorcycles.

The DRZ, with road tires is stable at highway speeds, but it is not fast.

The DRZ it tall and top heavy and I hate crashing ONLY because I hate picking the damned thing back up.

The DRZ is cheaper to buy and insure

The DRZ is not a canyon carver (by design)

The DRZ can take you anywhere on and off road you want to go and carry all of your gear with it.

The DRZ is a more forgiving bike. It handles gravel on the streets better. It will take bumps, holes, ditches, stairs, old ladies MUCH better than a sportbike.

The DRZ has a shorter range. I get about 80 miles out of a tank.

The DRZ is more fun

THe DRZ is more versatile

The DRZ is more likely to get you ticketed for trespassing, riding on sidewalks, riding in school yards, going up and down stairs, wheelies, stopies, roosting, and general hooliganism.

The DRZ will also score you TONS of chics.

But it. I dare ya.

Chris

There's nothing that will ever replace the warm feeling of a perfectly blipped 6th-to-4th downshift, that drops right lane traffic like 1st first semester chem-lab.

You might score a one ton chick, but I dunno about smaller denominations...
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

I ride both

for the street an Aprilia RST1000
    Huge power, tons of passing torque, top end some where above 135 (I have never found it), Shiny, Loud, Awesome.. I own the rode when I am on it

For the Dirt, a KDX200
    Nimble, light, "flickable", with the FMF Gnarly pipe and the Boysen reeds, tons of low end umph, it's GREEN, dirty, blows oil out its a$$ and I get a huge rush riding up the hills at rampart with it

but riding dirt is a MUCH more intimate experiance then riding the road. On the road its cagers and defensive driving, and apex placement.

In dirt, well I remmeber once my inner child screaming TREE TREE look out for the TREE, and my other voice going FU@K it its a small tree!

I love both, but dirt gives ya stories, and scabs, and the occasional bruise. You will experiance more adrenilin in 10 miles of dirt then a whole day of roads

The Best Ride could be the next ride

Sumo is the best of everything. I can highway to the canyons, keep up with bigger bikes anywhere besides the long sweepers and straights, go ride Rampart, go downtown and do some urban/hooligan shit, and ride it back home on 1 tank of gas, all in the same day.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

You need a 09 KLR650. I'll sell one to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DorJammer View Post
    You will experiance more adrenilin in 10 miles of dirt then a whole day of roads
    No shit!

Lol thanks for all the input guys, a drz with a good sumo setup replaces the tires, rims, front disk and master cylinder right?

When riding dirt alone how do you make sure you dont run out of gas lol? I know you can buy bigger tanks for the drz but i wouldnt know where any of the dirt roads go or where any gas stations would be. Are their websites that have info for this or anything?

EDIT: Lol shiny, the infamous klr can stay with its loving owner
    Last edited by Survivalism; Thu Sep 30th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.

There's .5gal container kits and small cans you can mount on a rack. Drz sumo has all the street goodies on it. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some case savers and a SS front brake line.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    There's .5gal container kits and small cans you can mount on a rack. Drz sumo has all the street goodies on it. Probably wouldn't hurt to get some case savers and a SS front brake line.
    Would you recommend buying the drz sumo or buying a plated drz dirt / enduro and putting a sumo setup on it? Would it make any noticeable difference?

Can you put street/dirt tires on sumo rims and ride that in the dirt? I know some of you crazy people ride your pure street tires on dirt but i would like some traction at the beginning lol

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalism View Post
    When riding dirt alone how do you make sure you dont run out of gas lol?
    I have one of these:

mounted thusly on the XR:

(That's Sean looking up the answer to "Should Pennsylvania Gulch be attempted with heavy dual sport bikes?" and the answer was "Only if you're insane.")

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

^^^

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    (That's Sean looking up the answer to "Should Pennsylvania Gulch be attempted with heavy dual sport bikes?" and the answer was "Hold mah beer and watch this!")
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
    ^^^

I wouldn't laugh to hard. We almost took you up something harder

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalism View Post
    Would you recommend buying the drz sumo or buying a plated drz dirt / enduro and putting a sumo setup on it? Would it make any noticeable difference?

Can you put street/dirt tires on sumo rims and ride that in the dirt? I know some of you crazy people ride your pure street tires on dirt but i would like some traction at the beginning lol
    The ideal setup would be a DRZ-E model that someone else has gone through the process of plating, then add sumo wheel and front brake setup. The off road bikes have a different carb that offers vastly better throttle response and power than the street bikes. I can get some pretty attractive deals on sumo wheels and brake setups, PM me if you're interested.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Fixed

I wouldn't laugh to hard. We almost took you up something harder

And I learned quickly that gravity is a law that must be obeyed.
    Chris

DRZ's

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    DRZ's
    Dont give me that look lol

I would consider something else but i really dont know much about dirt bikes or their sumo counter parts. The drz is just super popular, i would consider a ktm but they seem to have a "premium" if you will and i was hoping all the parts for a drz would be cheap to replace.

Any other models i should be looking at? Really considering throwing the f4i up.. i want to play in the dirt!

There was a guy on here sellinp a really nice Aprilia sumo for a really nice price. Chances are that the post got deleted from the system going down. I don't know if it sold or not. I don't think he's on here much, might be worth shooting him a pm.

btw: KLR's kis ass and anybody who doesn't ride them is a complete loser with no taste in motorcycles/life. Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    There was a guy on here sellinp a really nice Aprilia sumo for a really nice price. Chances are that the post got deleted from the system going down. I don't know if it sold or not. I don't think he's on here much, might be worth shooting him a pm.

btw: KLR's kis ass and anybody who doesn't ride them is a complete loser with no taste in motorcycles/life. Just my .02
    I wont come between you and your KLR, they definitely have their uses. Just wouldnt work for me

Looks like the drz 400 e has a seat height of 37.2 inches.. how the hell..?

Or you could buy my BMW F650 and ride dirt like an old man, have heated grips and pull out a jar of grey poupon at stops.

..... or you could buy a DRZ and have fun.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

My WR250F has an unladen seat height of just under 40 inches, and I have a 32 inch inseam... you learn to be creative about getting your feet down
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"